Crunchyroll discontinues their Download-2-own service

It should appear we learned of this before ANN did. Not that this affects me in particular. The fact that CR tend to stream titles unlikely to receive an R1 DVD license puts one off much of their catalogue.
To coin a phrase, it only really caters to "fire-and-forget" fandom.

Zin5ki said:
It should appear we learned of this before ANN did. Not that this affects me in particular. The fact that CR tend to stream titles unlikely to receive an R1 DVD license puts one off much of their catalogue.
Titles that are and aren't likely to receive R1 DVD releases change as the industry changes. Better, more popular shows are now less likely to see DVD releases as the licences still cost $$$, but the acceptable release pattern in the US doesn't make enough profit for expensive, new shows to be released in some cases.

It should be noted that shows are being licenced that streamed on CR.(e.g. Gintama)

Unlikely to get R1 license means, aren't in negotialtions over one before it airs. Which essentialy means FUNimation aren't dubbing it or it isn't made by Bandai Sunrise or Production IG.
Most other licesors can't afford to license things that quickly, especially if they're the type of show expected to do well.
KyoAni shows I assume are just so expensive no one can license them for at least a year, and they almost never make it here.

Still the thing that is most linked to what they show is it airing on TV Tokyo; so far one exception (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu), and that's because FUNimation licensed it.

Funi licensed BakaTest? Awesome, didn't realize that. Still don't trust them enough with BD releases to not import it, though.

Ah well, Toei just missed out on all the awesome money I would have given them for FoTNS and Digimon Zero Two.

No one benefits when Region Blocking in involved.

The region block on Toei streams is annoying, and is because they split who controls licences between EU and US, most just have an everywhere except East Asia region. Would have watched Precure out of curiosity otherwise.

ilmaestro said:
Maxon said:
Project-2501 said:
Is it just me or does CR seem to have a large number of total fanservice shows?
Pretty much. They show very little worth watching.
You'll have noticed that the sentiment behind these statements is basically applicable to all anime produced these days.

They're showing one of the three fanservice shows from this season, and at the same time they're showing DRRR!.
If I was wearing nostalgia goggles I'd agree with you. Every year has an abundance of **** anime. Yes even the "Golden Years - The 90s" had its share of ****. It should also be noted that there are far more anime being produced post-2000, so it's inevitable you're going to see an increase in crud, but that also increases the chances of good anime being produced. I can name more good anime post-2000 than anime from the 80s and 90s combined.

chaos said:
Considering the newer sets let connect to the internet (games consoles, for intance) I'm pretty sure stream will really be the way forward.

To get it righ is going to be a long way yet, but I remember this been discussed when iTunes first came into light. Now everyone take it for granted that you can buy a music file...
I agree with you and I think discussions are always the main source of accurate information and to ensure a comfortable results, you can get immediate and reliable information, which will definitely help you in every area of your concern.

Back