Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-Chan: A recomendation

Ork_dreadnought

Brigade Leader
Following the positive response to my 08th MS Team review, here is my review of Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-Chan. This anime was featured in the unwashed anime column.

Anime Reterospective: Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-Chan (Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuru-chan)
My first anime convention was Ayacon 5, in august 2005. It was a great deal of fun, and the runaway success of the event was the ultra-bad taste comedy, Club-to-Death Angel Dokuro-Chan. Currently unlicensed and only available on the quite illegal fansub circuit, this was the most outrageously funny anime I’d seen it years.

The Basic Plot
Sakura was a fairly typical Japanese schoolboy, nursing a crush on a classmate. This changed when an angel from the future, the titular Dokuro-chan, takes up residence in his room. However, she is no Belldandy, she spends her days embarrassing him and periodically beating him to death with her magical club Excalibog. Sakura tolerates this because her magic returns him to life, probably living in mortal fear of the day when she does something permanent

Ruder than Drawn Together, more violent than Bottom
This anime is worth watching simply for a typically Japanese randomness and a staggering lack of tact. There is no tasteless topic this anime will avoid in the search for a laugh, representing gross-out humour at its best. More infamous examples include “The Dog of Flandersâ€

Ryo Chan said:
pesonal it goes to the bottom of my funny list

even below FLCL and Azumanga

but thats just my personal opinion

Trust me... FLCL makes as much sense as a hippy going to war...
And you're very touchy/squemish :p

If you dont mind all the comical blood spills and heads clubbed off, then you're gonna really enjoy this series. Only seen 1 episode of Excel Saga, but comparing them both, I'd say they'd be on the same level of insane comedy.

Oh, and there's a lot of spamming of the funniest life spell quote I've ever heard... XD

I've just watched the first two chapters, and it was certainly an odd experience, somewhere between Animal Yokocho and early Elfen Lied, although lacking the depth and plot of the latter. I enjoyed it, despite the perverse brands of humour used for shock value, and I agree that the first beheading of the series is a moment of hilarity.

It has some really funny moments (I too was rolling in the aisles at Aya when it was shown) but overall the humour was of the gross-out type rather than the off-the-wall genius of FLCL. Because of that six short eps was just right for it - it's a lot of fun but doesn't go on long enough to outstay its welcome.

The ending was a bit sudden, I must admit. It's also the sort of thing that I'd recommend you watch but not necessarily buy - it relies on visual gags rather than story so it's not nearly as funny on repeat viewings.

Concrete badger said:
It has some really funny moments (I too was rolling in the aisles at Aya when it was shown) but overall the humour was of the gross-out type rather than the off-the-wall genius of FLCL. Because of that six short eps was just right for it - it's a lot of fun but doesn't go on long enough to outstay its welcome.

The ending was a bit sudden, I must admit. It's also the sort of thing that I'd recommend you watch but not necessarily buy - it relies on visual gags rather than story so it's not nearly as funny on repeat viewings.

I agree; it's hard to compare it to FLCL beyond a sense of the absurd. I found the first gag of the four/eight episode series unexplicably funny, as poor Sakura lost his head for the first of many times, but after that, despite some highlights, it seemed rather samey, and shock value was clearly the order of the day. The short length is a blessing; if it was any longer, I would have definatly had trouble finishing the series. I have to admit, though, despite my reservations, overall I gleaned enough enjoyment out of it to declare it worth my time.

It's shock humour at the end of the day. We can enjoy that, but its single use stuff.

It's one of the animes I'd recommend to people regardless of if they like anime or not, though. That's one of the highest compliments I give.

Back