Child's Toy (Kodocha)

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I'm half way through the 102 episodes of this anime and loving every minute, anyone watched this one?

It's quite different from the average school kids type anime, quite different indeed :lol:

Sana is 11, a TV and commercial idol, extremely hyper and slightly mad but cute and endearing too. Her Mum is even nuttier and has a squirrel living in her hair, she's a reknowned author. Hyama/Akito is the class bully but deep down a sad and lonely kid.
The story is based around the zany life, loves and woes of Sana but be ready for her breaking into song all the time. It's very funny but also bittersweet at times and as long as you like this genre of anime you'll love this one :D

I don't care who owns the rights as long as it gets a UK release.
I did actually watch all 102 episodes and it has an amazing ending, very feel good :D

I've seen a couple of dozen episodes of this, and it is very good. I've also read the manga, so I know the plot of the rest. Definitely something I'd like to pick up; not sure where I'll keep the dozens of discs, though.

I'd like to hope the releases would have a minimum of 5 episodes per disc or this would be an expensive one to collect :(
I would love to watch this dubbed, the Japanese have a talent for talking very fast and I'd love to see how the English language VAs would cope with most of Sanas' scenes :lol:

Given FUNimation's Furuba release, I'm reasonably optimistic about the number of discs. Well, as optimistic as I can be with such a long series...

Keeping up with Sana's speech could be tricky, but ADV managed to dub Excel Saga, so these things are certainly possible. I hope they re-do the songs, too; that's always fun to hear.

Colin said:
I hope they re-do the songs, too; that's always fun to hear.

I think they'd have to! It would be a bit strange to hear Sana speak in English and then sing in Japanese, after all 80% of the time she sings her funny songs :lol:

I didn't mean Sana's rap songs; I was talking about the opening/ending songs (7 o'Clock News, Panic, Ultra Relax, Daijoubu). It would be weird to have a character speaking in English then singing in Japanese. It's been done before, though.

I think FUNimation do it a lot. They certainly did with Furuba, and as far as I'm aware that hasn't been on TV at all. I'm fairly sure they did the same thing for Kiddy Grade and some others as well, though I haven't got any.

Kiddy Grade, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Blue Gendar, none of which where on TV

They couldnt do that with FMA or Spiral though, Squeinix wouldnt let them. But, a rep from FUNi posted on AoD saying that they should be doing dubbed songs on Kodacha.

That'd be good then!
I always loved the fact with the first 2 series of Sailor Moon they redid all of the songs into English.
It would be nice though if they did the Kodocha around the same music, as I love the first intro song :D

Miaka-chan said:
It would be nice though if they did the Kodocha around the same music, as I love the first intro song :D
They usually do, either by using a Karoke version of the OP, or by redoing it from scratch. (using the orginal music notes i would guess)

Kiddy Grades theme makes more sense in ENglish to me for some reason (maybe due to the Engrish in the orignal version lol)

Back