Do you buy anime dvds from the US?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Cheapest Anime Prices for 80's anime on Region 1.

All prices can be found at - http://www.dvdpacific.com

Prefectural Earth Defence Force - $7.49
Cleopatra D.C - $6.31
Madonna - $6.31
Project A-ko - $6.00
Garaga - $6.00
Venus Wars - $6.00
They Were Eleven - $6.00
Harmagedon - $6.00
Demon City Shinjuku - $6.00
Dominion Tank Police - $6.00
Guardian of Darkness - $6.00
Roujin Z - $5.76
Time Stranger - $5.36

*Just another reason why i love importing...

Perhaps you should include details about shipping costs too? The prices are askew and more over of course anime is cheaper in the states! What is the point on making a whole thread advertising the fact?

It's starting to actually piss me off how much you love to pimp importing.

I import but i'm not gonna go all Mormon on people and make everybody else do it too.

keyblade_master uk said:
Sigh, thats one of the main reason UK anime prices never go down, people import it.

Which is weird cause if they dropped there prices sales would increase as we wouldn't need to import any more. Besides if they didn't want us importing they would never have allowed us access to multi-region dvd players.

McIcy said:
keyblade_master uk said:
Sigh, thats one of the main reason UK anime prices never go down, people import it.

Which is weird cause if they dropped there prices sales would increase as we wouldn't need to import any more.

That hits the nail on the head.

I'd like to buy all my anime at home but sometimes it's just simple economics that make me import something. Plus there is also the issue of the Americans often getting far superior box set packages to us.

Because we are a smaller market we get less and have to pay more and if people buy their anime elsewhere they perpetuate the situation by lowering sales and bringing the price even further up.

As mean as it sounds I am damned pleased that Multi region DVD players are no longer as easy to get and it is extra trouble importing or the UK anime market would be nothing but a memory. Most people dont care about the market... and that displeases me. :?

Perhaps if the prices were lowered just a little bit (especially in the high street) the buyers and suppliers could meet half way. They could look at it as a speculate to accumulate type thing.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a big import buyer myself but like I said above, sometimes it’s tempting to save a few quid. But even a portion of what I buy here I buy second hand because it’s cheaper. And that’s not really helping the UK industry either.

Mind, the 2nd hand market in anime is tiny.

butch-cassidy said:
As mean as it sounds I am damned pleased that Multi region DVD players are no longer as easy to get and it is extra trouble importing or the UK anime market would be nothing but a memory. Most people dont care about the market... and that displeases me. :?
I care! I buy UK DVD's if I see them for a reasonable price(though usually only movies) but i'm a student who has little free money so it's either import the cheap stuff from the US or waste a week downloading something.

Plus multi region DVD's are everywhere. They just don't say it on the box.

harkins said:
McIcy said:
keyblade_master uk said:

Which is weird cause if they dropped there prices sales would increase as we wouldn't need to import any more.

That hits the nail on the head.

I'd like to buy all my anime at home but sometimes it's just simple economics that make me import something. Plus there is also the issue of the Americans often getting far superior box set packages to us.
If no one buys the UK releases, then UK anime companies can't afford to bring their prices down to rope in more punters.

You wonder why you only ever see Akira and the Ghibli films in the HMV sales?

WTFDaveMustaine said:

He has only 7 posts to his name and nearly all of them promote a particular website (or try to defend his promoting of a particular website). Hmmm...

Something tells me he is on commission.

Why do people care about the UK market so much?

Blinded by patriotism?

The US market is bigger and better in almost every way and for me thats worth supporting. I own 100 anime dvds and they are all from the US, not a single UK domestic release.

Why don't you move there then.

We get it ok, you love to import. Lots of people can't be bothered with the hassle. That's the end of it.

Area88 said:
Why do people care about the UK market so much?

Blinded by patriotism?

The US market is bigger and better in almost every way and for me thats worth supporting. I own 100 anime dvds and they are all from the US, not a single UK domestic release.

Maybe you should buy your stuff from Japan then. It’s got a bigger and better anime market. Then you can do the same with your manga, Japanese films, computer hardware, televisions, etc, etc, etc.

You wanna know the simple reason why people should buy from the UK market? It’s for the future. End of story. Maybe I sound like a optimistic or naive but I want this market to grow, I want more people to buy anime, to enjoy it! If we all packed up shop and ordered it from the states then it would be the dark days of the mid nineties all over again!

This can work, and has worked! Just look at Manga. It’s not cheap, but since it is now more readily available and not priced with insane mark on’s because of the local distribution network Manga sales have soared, prices have been dropping, availability has been rising [I even found Manga at Belfast City Airport newsagents!], and the time between US and UK releases has been dropping! TP now have it down to 6-9 months from 2-3 years!

So that’s why I buy British company anime DVD's because I want other people to see what we all enjoy and in so doing will make it cheaper for you and me, even if it takes some time. That simple.

[/Preaching rant - Sorry]

WTFDaveMustaine said:

I import but i'm not gonna go all Mormon on people and make everybody else do it too.
Mustaine FTW.

@Area88: - Hmm, I remember you saying the same things again over on the ANN forums as well... Is it really so hard for you to understand that some people may not want to import from America? Or are you just on commission?

I’ve been thinking about this a lot this afternoon and I’ve just done some quick sums. 68% of my collection has been bought new, region 2 from UK vendors and 18% of it is US imported. The remainder is UK 2nd hand except for 1 bootleg (I bought that before I knew better). To put that in some context my collection consists of 37 titles mixing movies and TV series as.

The more I think about this the more I do believe that supporting the UK industry is important.

My attitude was somewhat that “it’s not up to me to finance a better world for future British anime fansâ€

butch-cassidy said:
Maybe you should buy your stuff from Japan then.

Already do so!

butch-cassidy said:
You wanna know the simple reason why people should buy from the UK market? It’s for the future. End of story. Maybe I sound like a optimistic or naive but I want this market to grow, I want more people to buy anime, to enjoy it! If we all packed up shop and ordered it from the states then it would be the dark days of the mid nineties all over again!

Yeh, i'm sure future generations would be glad you helped maintain inflated prices and inferior Ntsc to Pal conversions.

I'd rather see a large high quality US market keep on expanding than a small low quality UK market progress a tiny bit more.

Area88 said:
butch-cassidy said:
I'd rather see a large high quality US market keep on expanding than a small low quality UK market progress a tiny bit more.
It's only small because people like you ignore it...

If I can rope in some of my mates into anime by showing them a title while browsing in HMV, then I find it better to be actively social about it and maybe makes some friends than it is to shut myself in my room and live off of mail order all the time. A mix of anime from a variety of regions won't kill you.

I buy UK releases and also some American stuff when specific titles aren't available here. That suits me personally, but I don't question others if they do things differently. (so long as it's legal, I couldn't care less...)

Also, if you don't watch anime released in the UK, why are you even on a site which is specifically aimed at the UK market?

Back