Channel 4 might show more anime

Paradox295

Pokémon Master
So, because Channel 4 show a lot of Studio Ghibli movies, I thought, why not ask if they would show some series :lol:

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding Anime shows.

We appreciate your request that we broadcast some Anime programmes on our
channels, please be assured that your comments have been logged and noted
for the information of those responsible for our programming.

If there are any series you are particularly interested in us showing please
let us know and we will also log that for the attention of those responsible
for our programming.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for
your interest in our programming.

Regards,

Sally Smith
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

For information about Channel 4 have a look at our FAQ section at
www.channel4.com/help

It's back for one last hurrah! Celebrity Big Brother, the final series,
starts Sunday 3 January at 9pm on Channel 4.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
You show a some anime films on Film4 on occasion, why don't you show some
anime series?

Wasn't expecting a reply, though :eek:

Thing is, where it says "Anime" could it originally have said "insert requested show here"? ;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed as Channel 4 are probably a better bet than any of the other terrestrial channels, but I'd take it with a good salt pan full of salt.

ayase said:
Thing is, where it says "Anime" could it originally have said "insert requested show here"? ;)
The fact that 'Anime' appears capitalised throughout the letter might indicate this. I can imagine playing this system for the occasional laugh.

"We appreciate your request that we broadcast some ITV programmes on our channels..."

First I would check my grammar. I would then proceed to try out the auto-reply business. :D

I guess if I have time after that excitment, I might give an anime-based e-mail a try.

It'd be hella intriguing to have something like Death Note showing on a 4 channel. Death Note would be more Channel 4's target audience, whereas Mosnter would sit nicely next to something like Mad Men in BBC4.

Death Note is the one that immediatly jumped into my mind too. Maybe show two episodes a week (back to back) for however many weeks it takes to finish it. Either that or pair it with a seires like Black Lagoon for more action, or something classy and stylish like Last Exile.

Jayme said:
It'd be hella intriguing to have something like Death Note showing on a 4 channel. Death Note would be more Channel 4's target audience, whereas Mosnter would sit nicely next to something like Mad Men in BBC4.
I replied asking for:

Death Note - Because they showed the live-action movies a few times on Film4
Cowboy Bebop - Because it did well on AnimeCentral, and the live-action movie's coming out in 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist - It also did well on AnimeCentral
Bleach - It also did well on AnimeCentral

I think we should try a viral campaign to get Channel 4 to show Death note.... Paradooxx, can you share the email you used to request the shows?

chaos said:
I think we should try a viral campaign to get Channel 4 to show Death note.... Paradooxx, can you share the email you used to request the shows?
Agreed, I wouldn't mind taking part. It's just a quick e-mail to them for a request, and that's nothing.

As for the Black Lagoon idea... I would like to see it on TV, however, I think it might be a bit much to show on Terrestrial TV. The f-word comes up all the time, and the level of violence is quite dramatic if a kid were to suddenly be curious...

We need 1 shonen/mainstream show and either 1 "legend" or high-quality show. I.e. Bleach/FMA and School Rumble/Fruits Basket. That's the minimum though, I could be greedy for more. ;)

I'd love to see Black lagoon on tv. i finished the second barrage lastnight and enjoyed the whole thing.

If they can't/won't show any series (due to having to pay royalties to air the series) then maybe giving them a few idea's of films that they may want to show.

Is anyone airing bleach in the UK?

I always have this trepidation about anime making it big. It would be great for new releases, but I kinda like it having a relatively small fandom which attracts more 'different' people. If anime became 'cool' I think my relationship with it would sour somewhat.

That said, I would love to see Death Note on TV simply for the Daily Mail's reaction:
"Sick Japanese Cartoon Makes Kids Worship Serial Killer"

Anime wont ever make it big over here.

It can't support its own TV channel that's for certain, but that's not to say that a one hour block on a more mainstream channel couldn't boost it's popularity a bit. America had anime on Cartoon Network, and even now they have an hour on SyFy, so us wanting an hour a week out of Channel 4 isn't that unreasonable, especially after they've shown an interest in anime in the past.

What's the obsession with anime on TV on this forum?

Average AUKN person: "Zomg, anine is on my TV!!!! MY TV!!!!!!!!!! I could've watched it any time using my internet powers, but just because I'm now forced to watch it at a set time imma get fappin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, lol @ the standard reply leading the OP to create a thread.

/lupus]

Aion said:
What's the obsession with anime on TV on this forum?

Average AUKN person: "Zomg, anine is on my TV!!!! MY TV!!!!!!!!!! I could've watched it any time using my internet powers, but just because I'm now forced to watch it at a set time imma get fappin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also, lol @ the standard reply leading the OP to create a thread.

/lupus]

Possibly because some believe that increasing awareness of anime would aid the markets across here, meaning that if there appears to be a sudden surge to the need/market for anime in the UK. Then more anime may be dubbed and released here?

Assuming I'm reading correctly, Aion, using his sophisticated humour was parodying the forum member, Lupus. The slash-Lupus in italics at the end of his post suggests this.

I think there were certain issues before that anime didn't last long but i think that now it would be easier to show it becuase:

The modern audience now is completely different from ten years ago and they would more open to anime and a popular tv and film critic 'Johnathon Ross' watches anime and he interviewed miyazaki on the japnorama series so he would spread it

One of the problems is back in the day due to some anime content is that people wouldn't stay up till 2 or 3 to wacth it but now with sky+ and V+ and the ever changing teenage audience are more likely to stay up and watch it and record it

Since film4 has shown ghibli and the death note films it would be easier for new audiences to get into the anime because
it's different and then they would be interested in the anime now and it happend to me like that (Thank You Film4)

Major actors like Samuel Jackson and Lucy Lui appeared in anime which was shown once on uk tv and directors like James Cameron plans to make aremake of Battle Angel so you can't say it hasn't got celebrity status appeal

Licensing would still be expensive but if they were smart to invest in a series like bleach, death note or ful metal alchemist then they would get the most money out of it

There is more dubbed high quality anime and a growing anime audience since from when they last showed anime

A series like 'Dexter' (Non Anime) did well because it operated in a grey area, and this show that nearly got banned has got mass appeal and gettin loads of ratings. They could potentailly get the same results if anime(Death Note) was shown. People are more open to death and even it deoes get slated it will just produce more publicity for it

Becuase no anime is shown you don't see any companies advertise anything at all related to anime so if the channel shows anime, companies will get interested and start to advertise therefore makin ch4 money

Channel 4 has a type of policy to show niche material such as the current indian films being shown and the japanese film season, Every niche is more or less acounted for on all of the channels sometime a week but anime is not so ch4 could start the massive anime craze on uk tv which it once had before

Start of the new year and the new decade, big brothers goin down and because of that you need something big to appeal or shock fans

e4 is more or less a teenage audience and they could advertise on that channel

I know it's only small but when a ghibli film is shown nobody except me blogs about it and in my topic other films like spirited away ans metropolis was mentioned which i hadn't had heard since the post and theres no ads for it (Thats why it doesnt get high ratings). Anime in uk on the internet is more connected and if it is shown then all the blogs will know therefore inforing all the people

Sorry for the long message but I can't see any reason why anime is not shown if someone disagrees please tell me but i think they should

i might email ch4 this but word it more formally

Back