Books / Literature

McIcy said:
Mightysor said:
Im reading Lord Of The Rings.

Nooooooo why waste your time the three books are basically about two guys on a walking holiday, why didn't Gandelf just fly the ring to the volcano on a giant bird

I read lord of the rings then I chucked it in a fire because that was all it was good for.

Currently reading Harry potter Got to say I realy realy hate the books and the movies now

McIcy said:
After watching the Sky1 series the Dresdan Files, I really got into the story and characters about wizards and vampires being real and the world having many faces we never see.

Anyway I went and bought the books today and I am amzed such depth and the story has quite a few stories in it and some hints to dresdans path that nerver comes out in the series like the line

The books are fantastic, but the tv series is sooo inferior and so totally unrelated in all but name to the books it's not funny. :x

If you like the genre though, here are some other personal and highly recommended favourites of mine that kind of fit into it... ( To list all my favourite books from all genres would take forever. lol :p )

The Weatherwarden series by Rachel Caine ( series is still ongoing )
Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, Chill Factor, Windfall, Firestorm

The Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison ( series is still ongoing )
Dead Witch Walking, Every Witch Way But Dead, The Good The Bad And The Undead, A Fistfull Of Charms, For A Few Demons More

The Victory Nelson quintet by Tanya Huff
Blood Price, Blood Trial, Blood Lines, Blood Pact, Blood Debt

The Keeper's Chronicles Trilogy by Tanya Huff
Summon The Keeper, The Second Summoning, Long Hot Summoning

The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries by Charlaine Harris ( series is still ongoing )
Dead Until Dark, Living Dead In Dallas, Club Dead, Dead To The World, Dead As A Doornail, Definitely Dead

The list could go on and on and on, but I better stop for now i'm getting carried away. lol :p

Tasker said:
McIcy said:
After watching the Sky1 series the Dresdan Files, I really got into the story and characters about wizards and vampires being real and the world having many faces we never see.

Anyway I went and bought the books today and I am amzed such depth and the story has quite a few stories in it and some hints to dresdans path that nerver comes out in the series like the line

The books are fantastic, but the tv series is sooo inferior and so totally unrelated in all but name to the books it's not funny. :x

I totally agree the books are a 100x better, I am now on the 2nd in the series and they are really helping to kill the time at work. I especially like the Skull Harry keeps, he cracks me up I wish he had been kept in the tv series.

Cheers for the books suggestions also, I will definatley check out some of those books when I get to through all the Desdan Files

Currently reading Fuyumi Ono's 'The Twelve Kingdoms.' So happy it's finally been translated in to english. The author also penned the Ghost Hunt series which I adore.

Also reading 'Kino No Tabi - Book 1 of The Beautiful World' I can't recommend this book highly enough - it is simply that brilliant. It's about a girl called Kino who travels around the world on her talking motorcycle Hermes visiting cities which are at different stages in civilisation. It is very thought provoking, but also funny too. It was also turned in to an anime, Kino's Journey, which I haven't checked out yet, but I'm sure it will be good.

M.G xx

Currently reading Adam Copeland On Edge, the autobiography of wrestler Edge.

It's quite good really...unlike most others, he wrote it all himself and it's rather amusing. I'm getting through it at quite a good speed.

Aaron said:
Currently reading Adam Copeland On Edge, the autobiography of wrestler Edge.

It's quite good really...unlike most others, he wrote it all himself and it's rather amusing. I'm getting through it at quite a good speed.

I've only read The Rock's biography 'Dwayne Johnson' and that was actually a good read.

Still trawling through the Dresdan Files, am passing the time til the new Jasper Fforde books come out but thats another 2-3 months away boohoohoo

This thread took a bit of digging out - people clearly not been 'reading' much lately.
Anyway, to the point...

Stumbled across this curious book in the library – Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales.
Thing is they are not fairy tales like you may think - as it says in the cover - "Once upon a time fairy tales weren't meant just for children...This collection contains lyrical tales, bloody tales, hilariously funny and ripely bawdy stories..."

It’s a collection of stories from countries all around the world from the Arctic to Asia, they are perhaps closer to quirky old folk-tales - and like it says there are “no dippy princesses or soppy fairies"
This little oddity of Swahili origin (one of the shortest as it happens) perhaps gives you an idea:
The Pupil

Sheikh Ali was an old teacher and Kibwana was his pupil. One day the teacher went out and the teacher's wife called Kibwana: 'You, young man, come quickly.'
'What for?'
'Stupid, you are hungry and you don't know how eat!'
'All right,' said Kibwana when he at last understood. He went inside and lay with his teacher's wife.
The teacher's wife taught him what the teacher did not teach him.
Short and to the point.

It also includes what I can only assume is a more authentic version of Little Red Riding Hood of French origin – I can't recall more modern interpretations, but here it doesn’t beat around the bush and before you know it both the grandma and the girl have been gobbled up by the wolf, end of story.

New Jasper Fforde book is out finally, (to bad all the first run is missing the foot notes at the end of the book), gonna read it this weekend and I can't wait.

Also only a month to go before the next Pratchett book is released :D

currently reading "The next accident" by Lisa Gardner, its a crime thriller and its quite good, once i finished this im going to read the "Blue Zone" it kept poping up after csi so i thought why not and bought a copy, now thats corporate advetising working perfectly if ive ever seen it LOL 8)

Back