Bleach - Volume 74 Review

Cold Cobra

I'm entirely trustworthy...
AUKN Staff
Our shores have finally made it to the end of Bleach, but is the 74th volume of this long-running series a fitting send-off? Does it tie up the current arc well and deliver a satisfying final goodbye? The answer to some of these questions may disappoint…

Continue reading...

Kubo had 5 or 6 years to end Bleach on his terms but he just used it to drag things out and make even more plot issues overall.Though I am tempted to gift a Rukia X Ichigo shipper the final manga volume of Bleach :D

Kubo had 5 or 6 years to end Bleach on his terms but he just used it to drag things out and make even more plot issues overall.Though I am tempted to gift a Rukia X Ichigo shipper the final manga volume of Bleach :D

You know, I really wish I could counteract you argument and defend it, but... nope. You know I kind of regret not mentioning the whole "who will Ichigo end up with" part of the ending, instead focusing on the rather out-of-nowhere Rukia-Renji relationship instead...

Our shores have finally made it to the end of Bleach, but is the 74th volume of this long-running series a fitting send-off? Does it tie up the current arc well and deliver a satisfying final goodbye? The answer to some of these questions may disappoint…

Continue reading...
mister cold cobra i just wanted to let you know that i really liked your review, i loved it and i feel the same as you about the ending. now there are things that you might not know regarding the ending is one. it wasnt due to lack of drive of editors fault that the ending was rushed, but it was because kubo developed terrible health issues at the end of the year and he had to be hospitalized, so both kubo and the magazine decided to end the series on their own, bleach was never cancelled by any reason.
two chad is not gaining any money for himself, like the last two novels explained he is a gym trainer and what he wqas doing at th end of the series, is fight for people who are being attacked by others, so he never broke his promise.

so im really glad that you realize that the series is not bad even if it had a bad ending, and i agree that the problem was the climax of the final arc itself and not the epilogue which it was decent. also i dont know if you cant but kubo was going at his own pacing for the last 4 years which was the lenght of the finala arc, and as he said it was supposed to be longer than that, he never dragged things up, and plot points were explained what they couldnt were those at the end, and even the novels resolve them. so as a bleach fan to another i agree as an ending is 6 out of 10 but the series as a whole is more than that and im glad of your review, also i dont know what you mean about the out of nowhere relationship about renji and rukia, they had history when they were kids remember?

what you fail to see is that as he said the final arc was supposed to be longer than 5 or 6 years, he never dragged thins out, he was going at his own pace, and those plot isues, are already answered. i dont know if you know that ichigo x rukia shipper but it all comes down to maturity, he might not like the ending and dont like the volume and keep living his or her life, i know a lot oof great shippers that even if they like rukia and ichigo they still love bleach and would gladly have the volume, because they are good fans, if you do it to bother someone, well maybe you could give the volume to someone who wants it.

mister cold cobra i just wanted to let you know that i really liked your review, i loved it and i feel the same as you about the ending. now there are things that you might not know regarding the ending is one. it wasnt due to lack of drive of editors fault that the ending was rushed, but it was because kubo developed terrible health issues at the end of the year and he had to be hospitalized, so both kubo and the magazine decided to end the series on their own, bleach was never cancelled by any reason.
two chad is not gaining any money for himself, like the last two novels explained he is a gym trainer and what he wqas doing at th end of the series, is fight for people who are being attacked by others, so he never broke his promise.

so im really glad that you realize that the series is not bad even if it had a bad ending, and i agree that the problem was the climax of the final arc itself and not the epilogue which it was decent. also i dont know if you cant but kubo was going at his own pacing for the last 4 years which was the lenght of the finala arc, and as he said it was supposed to be longer than that, he never dragged things up, and plot points were explained what they couldnt were those at the end, and even the novels resolve them. so as a bleach fan to another i agree as an ending is 6 out of 10 but the series as a whole is more than that and im glad of your review, also i dont know what you mean about the out of nowhere relationship about renji and rukia, they had history when they were kids remember?

Always nice to hear feedback, thanks for the kind words! Though to be fair last two novels were written after the series ended, and were written by Ryohgo Narita (with Kubo keeping an eye, obviously), which makes me think he was explaining the Chad mistake away, being such a fan of the series he is. Looking at that last scene in the context of the final volume alone it was still a mistake, I believe.

As for Renji and Rukia, I didn't mean out of nowhere in terms of them knowing each other, I mean how their relationship had always been presented as close friends, or at most a brother-sister style relationship, there was never any hints towards romantic involvement. That's why suddenly them not only being married but having a daughter in such a short space of time felt out of nowhere.

Still, you'll never hear me say a bad thing about Bleach as a whole, more good than bad, but I still feel the final chapters left a lot to be desired. That's a difference of opinion for you!

You know, I really wish I could counteract you argument and defend it, but... nope. You know I kind of regret not mentioning the whole "who will Ichigo end up with" part of the ending, instead focusing on the rather out-of-nowhere Rukia-Renji relationship instead...
Yeah, The shippings was always funny for me as Ichigo and Rukia never really ever had any romantic scenes while Orihime did with Ichigo.
Facts are better than fan fiction ha ha though don't say that or point it out to hardcore shippers.
Renji and Rukia wasn't really out of nowhere just barely mentioned or hinted now and again.
Renji's goal for getting stronger was mainly to protect his friend and a certain someone similar to Hitsugaya who had the same reasons but Momo hinted as his Rukia.
A conclusive and well thought of arc would have been great but then again it was Kubo and I do think the series should have ended after the battle with Aizen.

what you fail to see is that as he said the final arc was supposed to be longer than 5 or 6 years, he never dragged thins out, he was going at his own pace, and those plot isues, are already answered. i dont know if you know that ichigo x rukia shipper but it all comes down to maturity, he might not like the ending and dont like the volume and keep living his or her life, i know a lot oof great shippers that even if they like rukia and ichigo they still love bleach and would gladly have the volume, because they are good fans, if you do it to bother someone, well maybe you could give the volume to someone who wants it.

I haven't failed to see anything as I'm neutral on Bleach so no bias from me on this as overall Bleach was wasted potential on many things.
Kubo was given 5 if not 6 years to finish Bleach that is not a rushing him.
Just look at the monthly or years sales Bleach kept going lower had any other series gone like that they would have gotten axed well before a year.

Kubo did drag things out and not everything was explained and yes they had history with was built upon or hinted at during the series.
The friend I was talking about knew as a mod who liked to tease now again over the Bleach section and such but they said " Don't even think about it " :D

Always nice to hear feedback, thanks for the kind words! Though to be fair last two novels were written after the series ended, and were written by Ryohgo Narita (with Kubo keeping an eye, obviously), which makes me think he was explaining the Chad mistake away, being such a fan of the series he is. Looking at that last scene in the context of the final volume alone it was still a mistake, I believe.

As for Renji and Rukia, I didn't mean out of nowhere in terms of them knowing each other, I mean how their relationship had always been presented as close friends, or at most a brother-sister style relationship, there was never any hints towards romantic involvement. That's why suddenly them not only being married but having a daughter in such a short space of time felt out of nowhere.

Still, you'll never hear me say a bad thing about Bleach as a whole, more good than bad, but I still feel the final chapters left a lot to be desired. That's a difference of opinion for you!

yeah thanks for the reply and yeah the novels were developed by ryohgo narita but kubo made the story and the resolution of the characters, no kubo explained that was the outcome of chads ending, i agree that the final chapter didnt specify all of that on chad and it was kubos words and the novel after the series ended, that was the moment it was clarified, but people assume that chad just broke his promise and he is jus thinking about money when its not like that.

yeah i know but there was never any romantic development with any couple in bleach, just good friendship. i guess that the fact that they were good friends and had a good history together is what i mean that it makes sense that they formed a family.

no no i agree and im there with you, like i said your review was spot on, you never went "the ending was crap, because my couple didnt happened blah blah" you said the actual problems of the ending and were unbias about it and thats what i loved about your review. you are a great fan.

Yeah, The shippings was always funny for me as Ichigo and Rukia never really ever had any romantic scenes while Orihime did with Ichigo.
Facts are better than fan fiction ha ha though don't say that or point it out to hardcore shippers.
Renji and Rukia wasn't really out of nowhere just barely mentioned or hinted now and again.
Renji's goal for getting stronger was mainly to protect his friend and a certain someone similar to Hitsugaya who had the same reasons but Momo hinted as his Rukia.
A conclusive and well thought of arc would have been great but then again it was Kubo and I do think the series should have ended after the battle with Aizen.

I haven't failed to see anything as I'm neutral on Bleach so no bias from me on this as overall Bleach was wasted potential on many things.
Kubo was given 5 if not 6 years to finish Bleach that is not a rushing him.
Just look at the monthly or years sales Bleach kept going lower had any other series gone like that they would have gotten axed well before a year.

Kubo did drag things out and not everything was explained and yes they had history with was built upon or hinted at during the series.
The friend I was talking about knew as a mod who liked to tease now again over the Bleach section and such but they said " Don't even think about it " :D

yes it had problems, but wasnt wasted potential.
hey kubo was given whatever the time he wanted to finish the final arc, and like i said he was rushed, because of his health issues.
lol half a million per volume bleach was still selling well and good, and what if it went down look at the series, every year even the most selled series selled less than their previous years. but unlike those bleach was never axed.

no he didnt drag things out, yeah because that consists of a rushed ending, besides that the novels explain a lot of things of the final arc, because he couldnt give him a proper ending due to his health issues.
well i dont think its ok to tease like that, a lot of fans would still gladly have the final volume.

""
Renji and Rukia wasn't really out of nowhere just barely mentioned or hinted now and again."" i hardly agree with you on that.

i dont say it wouldnt have been a nice way to end the series in the arrancar arc, but we wouldnt have the final arc, which besides the last 20 chapters is pretty good, my opinion of course.

yes it had problems, but wasnt wasted potential.
hey kubo was given whatever the time he wanted to finish the final arc, and like i said he was rushed, because of his health issues.
lol half a million per volume bleach was still selling well and good, and what if it went down look at the series, every year even the most selled series selled less than their previous years. but unlike those bleach was never axed.

no he didnt drag things out, yeah because that consists of a rushed ending, besides that the novels explain a lot of things of the final arc, because he couldnt give him a proper ending due to his health issues.
well i dont think its ok to tease like that, a lot of fans would still gladly have the final volume.

""
Renji and Rukia wasn't really out of nowhere just barely mentioned or hinted now and again."" i hardly agree with you on that.

i dont say it wouldnt have been a nice way to end the series in the arrancar arc, but we wouldnt have the final arc, which besides the last 20 chapters is pretty good, my opinion of course.
Tatsuki, Uruhara's kids, Orihime and plenty of others characters are good show of wasted potential along with a good few plots points.
5 to 6 years should be enough for any author to finish a final arc with out making a mess of things to be fair.
The series was generally in the bottom 3 most of the time since 2014 and was closer 20th than 15th.
From 600k volume sales to just over 300k sales if I remember correctly which is still good but a huge loss in fans.
Here is some of the sales:
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2014
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2015
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2016
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half)
From this we can see Bleach isn't doing as well as it used to because it went downhill and Kubo was lucky it didn't get axed.

How so?

I agree to each their own.

Tatsuki, Uruhara's kids, Orihime and plenty of others characters are good show of wasted potential along with a good few plots points.
5 to 6 years should be enough for any author to finish a final arc with out making a mess of things to be fair.
The series was generally in the bottom 3 most of the time since 2014 and was closer 20th than 15th.
From 600k volume sales to just over 300k sales if I remember correctly which is still good but a huge loss in fans.
Here is some of the sales:
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2014
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2015
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2016
Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half)
From this we can see Bleach isn't doing as well as it used to because it went downhill and Kubo was lucky it didn't get axed.

How so?

I agree to each their own.

that isnt wasted potential, those were characters that didnt got a proper development and thats fine i agree with that, but saying that the series, didnt got a good potential its not truth at all,

again you dont understand that kubo said he had the last arc planned but it would be the longest in all the series, now if you have more to talk but you couldnt due to health issues, its obvious he had to find a way to wrap things up, not satisfactory thats for sure, but before the last year it was never a mess.

the series was always in the middle rankings from 2014 to 2016, yeah so it still sold half million per volume, one of the magazine most sold series.

no it wasnt as it used to be truth, but it wasnt bad or terrible at all, it didnt went downhill, and dont worry because he was never in danger to be axed.

beacuase i agree what you said about ichigo and orihime, and renji and rukia.

that isnt wasted potential, those were characters that didnt got a proper development and thats fine i agree with that, but saying that the series, didnt got a good potential its not truth at all,

again you dont understand that kubo said he had the last arc planned but it would be the longest in all the series, now if you have more to talk but you couldnt due to health issues, its obvious he had to find a way to wrap things up, not satisfactory thats for sure, but before the last year it was never a mess.

the series was always in the middle rankings from 2014 to 2016, yeah so it still sold half million per volume, one of the magazine most sold series.

no it wasnt as it used to be truth, but it wasnt bad or terrible at all, it didnt went downhill, and dont worry because he was never in danger to be axed.

beacuase i agree what you said about ichigo and orihime, and renji and rukia.
That what I meant by wasted potential as there was a lot that could have been done to improve and development tem rather than just half-**** it.
The series had very good potential put Kubo failed to meet expectations and just wasted some interesting idea's.

5 to 6 years is plenty of time to wrap things up for a final arc otherwise you are just stalling and dragging things out for me.

When a series starts losing half or more of it's fans then that is considered going downhill sales wise and the Fullbring and Final arc was pretty poor overall I felt.
Even though the anime improved the Fullbring arc it got canned that is how poorly it was though the filler before it was more enjoyable and better written which I think says a lot.

I see, thanks for clarification.

That what I meant by wasted potential as there was a lot that could have been done to improve and development tem rather than just half-**** it.
The series had very good potential put Kubo failed to meet expectations and just wasted some interesting idea's.

5 to 6 years is plenty of time to wrap things up for a final arc otherwise you are just stalling and dragging things out for me.

When a series starts losing half or more of it's fans then that is considered going downhill sales wise and the Fullbring and Final arc was pretty poor overall I felt.
Even though the anime improved the Fullbring arc it got canned that is how poorly it was though the filler before it was more enjoyable and better written which I think says a lot.

I see, thanks for clarification.

yeah there was some, but not all was wated potential.

freaking hell, again if he says he has an arc planned that lasts for 10 years and is longer than the others he did, then its obvious that is not called drag things out, when he was just developing the arc,

and who says it lose it? even if it made less money or even if it lose it doesnt mean its going downhill at all, and bleach is not the only case, well lost agent arc, may will be the weakest, but the final arc isnt, again it it didnt made the same amount it made previous years doesnt mean it was going downhill salewise it still sell pretty great.

it begin hiatus, not cancelled, to you maybe.

your welcome.

yeah there was some, but not all was wated potential.

freaking hell, again if he says he has an arc planned that lasts for 10 years and is longer than the others he did, then its obvious that is not called drag things out, when he was just developing the arc,

and who says it lose it? even if it made less money or even if it lose it doesnt mean its going downhill at all, and bleach is not the only case, well lost agent arc, may will be the weakest, but the final arc isnt, again it it didnt made the same amount it made previous years doesnt mean it was going downhill salewise it still sell pretty great.

it begin hiatus, not cancelled, to you maybe.

your welcome.
I'd say a of the cast was.

If you are given a deadline and more time than others should you try prolong it or make it work with in the time needed?
As Kubo was quite lucky to get not get axed after the fullbring arc.
The reason it got a rushed ending is because Kubo dragged it out and WSJ wanted the series to come to an end as Kubo was dragging it out.

The series didn't go on hiatus: Bleach Manga Enters 'Climax' In 2 Chapters
Bleach Manga to End in 74th Volume

Back