Black Books

Martin

Death Scythe
Anyone who's a fan of offbeat but decent British sitcoms should give this one a look. It's set in a run-down bookshop but is otherwise in a similar vein to the likes of Blackadder - Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey make a great double act as the miserable, sarcastic guy and the nice-but-dim one.

It's been making me chuckle over the past few weeks. :)

Ah i rented the first series on that ntl on demand thing very very funny.

The beginning

"well it's pretty dirty I'm eating scrambled egg out of a shoe at the moment".

I like some amercian sitcoms but honestly when it comes to comedy theres no better place than English tv :)

First time I saw this was on new years day sobering up around my mates house, we ended up watching the first series.

I bought the series 1 and 2 boxset and then series 3 when it came out

I love the way Bernard treats Manny my 2 fave episodes is ep 1 of series 2 and 3 where Manny suffers from Dave Syndrome and can't let himself get hotter than 98 degrees and Bernard does everything he can to heat him up. And ep 1 of series 3 where manny runs away to work for Simon Pegg at Goliath Books

One of my fave British comedies and I live in hope for a season 4

Very possibly my favourite comedy. Dave's Syndrome is awesome.

---
MANNY: Bernard no, look at yourself, who’s gonna look after you? You can’t survive on the mushrooms in your hair.
BERNARD: I’m fine (Picks a mushroom from his hair and eats it) Go on get out, go to him, go to your fancy man, I don’t need you any more.
---

sonia_leong said:
Very possibly my favourite comedy. Dave's Syndrome is awesome.

---
MANNY: Bernard no, look at yourself, who’s gonna look after you? You can’t survive on the mushrooms in your hair.
BERNARD: I’m fine (Picks a mushroom from his hair and eats it) Go on get out, go to him, go to your fancy man, I don’t need you any more.
---

Quality line from the series

Bernard: (on Manny) Look at him, look! Half Iago, half Fu Manchu... all bastard!

One of my all time fave quotes

Fran: Just as well they thought Manny was a god.
Manny: Yes, it will be sometime before I want to sacrifice another monkey.
Bernard: (grabbing Manny violently) We said we wouldn't talk about Canada! Let's go home.

Yeah defiantly one of my favorite sit com's of all time. i've even visited the shop!!

fav line:

Manny: Right now, I'm eating scrambled eggs, with a comb, from a shoe.

heh! It's brilliant right from the off - where the Little Book of Calm gets infused with Manny. Superb.

...and Simon Pegg, who (as you say) is in series 3, is an absolute comedy genius. Spaced is another fantastic British sit-com that you just have to own. :)

Each series got better and better, I love the fact that it has only 3 characters and doesn't feel the need to add anyone else to flesh out the storylines

Back