Big new anime projects on the horizon

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/">several reports</a>, Satoshi "Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress" Kon's next anime project will be a theatrical science fiction movie based on Tsutsui Yasutaka's novel Paprika. Like many of Kon's other projects, this will be animated by Madhouse.

Madhouse is also adapting another of Tsutsui Yasutaka's works into a theatrical anime; The little girl who conquered time, directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

GONZO have announced their plans to adapt Ubukata (Fafner) Tou's award winning novel trilogy into an anime OVA called Mardock Scramble. The creative staff involved includes such acclaimed talent as Mahiro Maeda (Gankutsuou), Range Murata (Last Exile) and Yasufumi Soejima.

Satoshi Kon doing sci-fi; this could be brilliant! Just imagine his great touch for vivid characterization set in a beautifully animated futuristic universe :)

Mardock Scramble sounds like it could be good too. The artistic works of Range Murata are druel inducing and Mahiro Maeda is on my favourites list after he crafted the futuristic Victorian masterpiece more commonly known as Gankutsuou.

Good to see it's not just me who's positively ecstatic at the thought of another Kon project! After seeing Millennium Actress and his contribution to Memories I have every confidence in his ability to make it another outstanding piece of work. Great news! :D

Gonzo's stuff tends to be patchy though: from the truly great (Last Exile) through mindless fun (Full Metal Panic) to the downright dull (Kiddy Grade).

The Little Girl who Conquered Time sounds interesting though - I'll keep an ear open for that one.

All three of these projects sound interesting; even be it just buy the staff involved or the title. I doubt Kon will ever misfire, and anything with those who worked on Last Exile, Fafner and, most of all, Gankutsuou, would have to try pretty hard to flounder.

Back