Big ADV UK sale for one week; now - anime DVDs going for £1

To be honest guys, I don't think you're likely to get much communication out of ADV UK any more. Earlier this evening I received a farewall from Hugh David basically saying their "network" (presumably this means lines of contact) is going down tomorrow and the actual office in London will be closing later in the week. I'd wait a few more days to see whether or not you're in the last batch of deliveries, but if not, you'll have to start looking at making tentative inquiries of Lace Digital Media Sales. This time next week it'll be their responsibility and basically, it's a really sad situation right now, ADV UK is dead, people have lost (or have left) their old jobs, probably feeling like they've just had their beating hearts ripped out of their chests, and the status quo has massively shifted.

Shame they were ADV, instead of just their UK arm. They could have moved on to licensing other companies' DVDs, much as MVM did once they stopped publishing Funimation goods. It's a shame, really.

Someone (not me) sent an email enquiring about order and received this response:

Hello <name>

This order will be shipped out directly from the distribution centre at SonyDADC today, before the network closes down.

This is the last you will hear from the last three remaining employees here at ADV Films in the UK, since we are all unemployed from this Saturday. I do hope that the rest of your order finds its way to you, but since you paid less per disc than it cost to make them, even if you don't get the rest of the order, you still got the first half of your order for bargain prices. You were one of hundreds of fans who showed up to buy from us only when it was too late to save the company. If everyone had bought these discs at retail prices, we would still be open and have jobs.

If fans only want to pay one pound for a DVD, then the remaining anime companies in the UK will also close in the next two years, more of our colleagues will be unemployed, and fans will have to return to importing from the US, Australia and Japan.

Goodbye.

The London Office

^wow, understandably, the soon to be jobless employees are a little pissed off. Still, in my order, I spent over £60, bought dvds that weren't just in the special 1 or 2 pound per disc offer, and in the past, have paid full price for what my student loan/overdraft would allow.
So if I don't get my order, I'm not going to simply go, "oh well, some people have lost their jobs", I'll actually be annoyed.

Arguably, we could turn around and say that, if they had released products worth buying, then we 'would' have paid full price for them, despite the fact that full price was a rip off compaired to other companies.

I actually don't mind paying full price for a product that's worth it, and I did exactly that for most of the series I own. It's not my fault that most of the latest ADV titles were crap. ( In my opinion ofcourse. )

Maltos said:
So whats the future for ADV in the UK. Nothing? Will all ADV titles cease to exist the UK now?

No, we'll still be able to get them, but instead of ADV running it themselves, they'll be working through someone else. Similar to how Funimation work over here - they work though Revelation, who manufactures and distributes for them.

Ah. So all things considering~ this is a good move for the industry if it's going to help production. It's a shame about the loss of jobs though; but such things are unavoidable in buisness.

Just bringing up something Sy has mentioned in the ADV poll thread; how many people are there still waiting on incomplete orders from the ADV sale?

There's been a few people on other forums who've received the wrong DVD's or had some missing. All mine arrived, my only complaint being that 1 or 2 had slightly damaged cases.

Back