Beyond the Clouds / The Places Promised...

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Beyond the Clouds is the latest film from Voices of a Distant Star creator Makoto Shinkai. It hit the fansub community last night and I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Has anyone watched this yet? What did you make of it? I'll post up my thoughts later.

Havent seen Voices of a Distant Star but I've heard its pretty good so I'm downloading Beyond The Clouds, just to know how long is it?

Ramen89 said:
just to know how long is it?

90 minutes. Also, apparently it got a very limited theatrical release in Japan. After watching all three trailers and reading a few comments, opinion on this film looks to be mixed but the animation is really quite stunning. Going to be an interesting watch!

Well, I just finished watching it... WOW!

Coming into this with moderate expectations after reading mixed reviews (probably from stupid kids), I can say Beyond the Clouds is a really great film. It's 'typical' Shinkai in that it values sentimentality, driving emotion and symbolism over pure action. 'Voices' fans will find a lot to love here.

Based on the action seen in the trailers, I can see why many would be disappointed, this is not an action show; it's a very romantic, personal drama flowing over a futuristic world war. The animation is drop dead gorgeous; slightly unconventional, often dream-like yet wonderfully scenic and beautiful.

It's well worth 9 out of 10. Outstanding- the best anime movie I have seen for a long time (since Millennium Actress).

Back