best ps2 rpg?

Gota go with the Final Fantasy fan group on this one, I vividly remember playing FFX for 43 straight hours back when I was unemployed and had no money to do anything better LOL

ffX (altho i preffer ff dirge of cerberus better than the others) vincent valentine ftw (altho zack and cloud have big swords......i love big swords or katana's :))

probably dark chronicle for me...or maybe star ocean!

All the final fantasy games have disappointed me since ff9. They seem to lack the magic of the older games.

Liquid Skin said:
Lupus Inu said:
Aion said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Persona 3.

Suikoden V.
Dark Cloud.

YES! Man i loved that game, should really try to hunt for it when im in town next. Tis a tie between that and X i reckons, X for story but man, there was something horrendously addictive about meshing rpg with a simcity esque "make your own town"

erm what game are you taking about? im intruiged lol

i think the .Hack// is cool mmorpg

Its kinda hard to explain, its really a generic dungeon crawler but as you're hacking and slashing you come across "buildings" sealed in tiny orbs (the story is that the world has been wiped out; but some guy managed to seal away the people and their houses to keep them safe)

Anyways once you collect these and return to your home "town" - which is really just a huge expanse of blank space to begin with, you can unlock and position the buildings wherever you want. Im pretty sure the houses could have stuff added to them as well, extra people, another floor or weffa. Oh and you could place roads and trees n shizz.
There was no real point to it other than that you got miniquests from the people who's houses you had saved but it was a really original idea. Monotonous gameplay wise but name me a rpg that isnt!

McIcy said:
but for story X has to win
Let it be said here and now: Final Fantasy X has an awful, awful story*, and the voice work that represented it would have been more emotionally involved if Stephen Hawking had been a VA. In fact, Final Fantasy X possibly killed PS2 RPGs for me. I've played a handful (Grandia II, Kingdom Hearts, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom) and I've hardly fallen in love with any of them.

* Nutshell: I am playing the (wet) dream of a sleeping civilization and my father is a whale. Sure, fantasy games feature outlandish ideas by their nature, but Final Fantasy X is some kind of Soap-Opera / Fantasy hybrid where every wacky plot-twist is paraded out at once, everyone knows everyone else and you spend two hours jumping lightning bolts to half power up a character's ultimate weapon. No Thanks.

jonboy said:
All the final fantasy games have disappointed me since ff9. They seem to lack the magic of the older games.
This.

Hironobu Sakaguchi apologizes in advance for letting the Final Fantasy series fall into the abyss of crappyness in which you cannot escape. He also said to check out Mistwalker's games btw.

Hmm i kinda liked the story for X - twas wierd but hey i like wierd stories so maybe thats where we differ. Inevitably RPGs fall back on the "save the world" story but it at least mixed it up a bit. The whole sacrifice theme raised it above others seeing as Final Fantasys are not adverse to killing off a character.

Moreover, considering the opposition on the PS2, id say it was the best of the bunch. Xenosagas....yah i actually fell asleep during one of its cutscenes. Oh and dont even get me started on XII....*clenches fists*

Although i do agree that the voice work was diabolical. Bring back text! They could save so much money by not paying for ****** voice actors and more importantly - so much space from the audio files. Just think, they could channel that money into employing better writers to create a longer and more fulfilling game!

Oh and i do agree about the whole lightning thing. But then again 9 was timed and in 8 you had the have the pocketstation in order to 100% complete it so *shrug*

Back