Bandai Entertainment: Eureka 7 & Kurokami

mangaman74

Akatsuki
http://www.mania.com/bandai-announces-f ... 18788.html

&

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... h-dub-only

Bandai have announced details of the Eureka 7 movie & Kurokami dvd/bd releases

Eureka 7 movie

The difference between the dvd & bd version is that the dvd gets trailers and tv commercials while the bd version also gets the 'making of featurette' that was shown after the film when it was shown in cinemas.

Kurokami

The dvd version has changed from 2-disc sets containing 8 episodes to single disc versions with 6 episodes - changing it from a 3 volume to a 4 volume release although the price has been reduced by $10.00.

The bd release contains 4 episodes per volume making it a 6 volume release. To make matters worse, the bd version is English dub only (the dvd version is bilingual) - thats right 4 episodes & English dub only!

Both Eureka 7 Movie & Kurokami Part 1 are set for release early February 2010.

Presumably that's a reverse import fear on Japan's part.

Is this where Region B gets it's revenge? Oh I do hope so... :twisted:

Only four eps on disc - great, it's important that they use Blu-ray for maximum AV quality (or at least as good as you're going to get on a US release), not to stick 10 eps on a disc.

English dub only - no thanks, come back when Japan doesn't have you bent over a stool.

ilmaestro said:
Only four eps on disc - great, it's important that they use Blu-ray for maximum AV quality (or at least as good as you're going to get on a US release), not to stick 10 eps on a disc.
Though to be fair, if they'd use BD-50s instead of BD-25s they could get away with doubling the episode count with no reduction in quality.

And like I say, they might have the Region A Yanks bent over a stool... but not necessarily Region B Europe. C'mon UK distros, it looks like a crisis has turned into an opportunity, get some superior-to-the-US Blu's out and it might go some way to solving your import problem!

ayase said:
C'mon UK distros, it looks like a crisis has turned into an opportunity, get some superior-to-the-US Blu's out and it might go some way to solving your import problem!

True, but the chances of the UK getting a different Blu-Ray release from Beez to what was released by Bandai US is lower than the chances of me winning £45mil on the lottery.

I've thought these were going to be released simultaneously in US and JP, therefore English only dub to avoid JP buying the american version makes sense to me.

How this will work out? We'll wait and see.

Pretty uncool about Kurokami. I am not upset as I wasn't planning on collecting it anyway but it sets a bad precedent.

I like how Bandai has now upset dub fans (with their sub-only releases) and sub fans alike.

R

Rui said:
I like how Bandai has now upset dub fans (with their sub-only releases) and sub fans alike.
Is it a let's piss everybody off business tactic? =)

Seriously now, as I mentioned before, I can only think that this is fear of back importing to JP. Simultaneously release the BD in America and Japan and japanese will buy the american BD. But then again, I ask, so what?

Would you get more on licenses if you sell it in JP or if you sell it in America? Japanese buy sinlges with ridiculous episode counts, but wouldn't they buy even more if it were cheaper?

Just a few thoughts here...

chaos said:
I've thought these were going to be released simultaneously in US and JP, therefore English only dub to avoid JP buying the american version makes sense to me
I think the bigger issue with this though is that the JP sets also have English audio, but no English subs. So there is literally no way for people to watch it with Japanese audio and English subs, even if they went the other way and paid more to import the Japanese version.

Either way, you have to seriously wonder if the broadcast exposure that this received in the US will be enough to encourage casual purchases, if casual anime fans even buy Blu-rays at all when they have a cheaper DVD alternative. Certainly I would expect very few people "in the know" to support the release.

http://www.mania.com/kurokami-bluray-ex ... 18809.html

Bandai has issued the following statement about the English only dub on the bd version of Kurokami,

“The license for the Japanese audio was not granted for our Blu-Ray release of Kurokami.”

The Japanese release had Japanese, Korean & English language tracks but no English subtitles.

While the Japanses version only sold around 300-500 copies per volume it remains to be seen how an English only dub bd release will improve matters.

chaos said:
Rui said:
Is it a let's piss everybody off business tactic? =)

Seriously now, as I mentioned before, I can only think that this is fear of back importing to JP. Simultaneously release the BD in America and Japan and japanese will buy the american BD. But then again, I ask, so what?
Inverse fansubbing , do you think? :wink:

Back