Azumanga daioh

ridley

School Idol
im pretty close to buying azumanga daioh because from what ive seen and heard from it its a good series, but i was wondering should i bother?

It's dependant on whether you like "slice of life" anime or not. If you do, then definitely go for it. It's probably the best anime of the genre. Some of the stuff they do is pretty normal, but what a few of the girls talk about is really odd. You'll know what I mean when you hear Osaka speak. For comedy, it's subtle. I would find myself giggling a lot but not laughing heartily.

You either love it or hate. I'm a big Azumanga fan, but as Maxon said, it's very much a slice-of-life school-yard chatter thing. I'd urge you to give it a try, simply because I'm such a big fan, but maybe buy just the first volume before splurging out on all the rest.

thazumangadaioh-shoegone.gif

th307052831139rd2vo.gif

Is this the series you're going on about?

Azumanga Daioh was the first R1 dvd i got/completed.
and i enjoyed the series alot. there are some moments where it does seem boring...but imo its a good 'slice of life' anime.

It isn't that funny if you don't know much about japanese culture. The dub's quite amusing though especially Monica Rial's voice when she's nervous or drunk. My brother and I have this running joke where we overexaggerate how she says "I'm single to so I don't have any stories like that" and "Who needs guys. What's wrong with being single"

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I found the anime funnier than the manga personally. The manga is decent though.
I think it varies from sketch to sketch. Certain sketches require the kind of comic timing that you can't stage in a Manga, but equally, I think that the minimal animation makes the anime seem un-energetic, and some jokes are simply repeated too much to pad out an episode (how many minutes do Chiyo and Osaka throw that ball to each other in the first DVD volume? it seems like an eternity...).

It doesn't matter if you know little about Japanese culture when you watch Azumanga. Funnily enough, Azumanga can often end up an education in the subject - I came away knowing alot more than I did when I started! If you get the R2 releases (I can't speak for the R1s) ADV has packaged little booklets with all of the Japanese "in" jokes completely described, so you'll be fine.

It's a hugely funny series, and I -was- going to say it's something I feel eveyone should watch, but noting the battering I got for saying that elsewhere, I refrained. (....watch it!)

Also, although I haven't heard all that many dubs, I'd say Azumanga is the best I have heard. All the characters are portrayed properly, unlike in some other dubs where the voice actors sound very removed from the whole situation. After listening to the English/American Osaka and Chiyo, it's very difficult to listen to the Japanese ones, in my opinion, which is rather impressive.

adamcube said:
If you get the R2 releases (I can't speak for the R1s) ADV has packaged little booklets with all of the Japanese "in" jokes completely described, so you'll be fine.
Yeah, both region 1 and region 2 are exactly the same in this case. Region 2 has the advantage of not having adverts at the start as well.

Back