Anime Network edits in Pani Poni Dash?

shh227

Dandy Guy, in Space
I was watching Pani Poni Dash episode 1 last night and notice Rebecca (I think that was her name) the 10 year old teacher was suppose to flicked her middle finger but the scene was cut straight to the students looking shocked.

Well was it shown before 9pm? If it was then they have to cut that sort of thing. No matter what the channel unless its a pay to watch thing :roll:

Exactly as Sakimori said. This happens in one form or another for similar gestures on other channels. Live with it; it is a fairly minor thing. If people want to see these shows uncut and such they have the DVDs available.

Well was it shown before 9pm? If it was then they have to cut that sort of thing. No matter what the channel unless its a pay to watch thing

Yes it was shown 8:30pm the next show was uncut. I am just suprise because fma, wolfs rain and Mezzo DSA were show on rapture tv before 9pm and their shows did not looked like they were edited.

Shaaa, I thought the only edit they did was Ep 5 of Elfin Lied and that was because of the rampent Pedophila in said episode. Though I am sorta susspect of the Jet Alone ep of Eva.

shh227 said:
Well was it shown before 9pm? If it was then they have to cut that sort of thing. No matter what the channel unless its a pay to watch thing

Yes it was shown 8:30pm the next show was uncut. I am just suprise because fma, wolfs rain and Mezzo DSA were show on rapture tv before 9pm and their shows did not looked like they were edited.
But none of those shows had anything that required editing for TV before 9PM. Offensive gestures, content and language will always be edited on pre-watershed shows regardless of the channel or media-type.

Gawyn said:
shh227 said:

But none of those shows had anything that required editing for TV before 9PM. Offensive gestures, content and language will always be edited on pre-watershed shows regardless of the channel or media-type.
Oh, before we go on, I actauly don't particluary mind edits like the 15 sec cut in ep 5 of Elfin Lied, we still got the point without too much issue and to be honest, they played that as well as they could of imho.

But PPD's edit comes off as a touch daft when you had swearing and have you in the scifi airings of Eva/Nadesico which was on at Saturday Morning / Monday TeaTime.

Then again, PPD didn't make much sence ever.

And besides, Pagasus J Crawford was giveing Yami the two fingered salute on Nick/Sky one years before hand ;p

No, seriouly.

I remember they edited the Mr Bean movie in that way. I was disgusted and outraged to see such a classic butchered mercilessly.

Come to think of it, such gestures are only PG-material. Why do they need to be cut out?

I remember they edited the Mr Bean movie in that way. I was disgusted and outraged to see such a classic butchered mercilessly.

Come to think of it, such gestures are only PG-material. Why do they need to be cut out?

I feel that too but anime network does not like it shown before 9pm. Remember with Excel Saga episode 3 which was on rapture tv at 8:30pm. Excel use a middle finger gesture at that robot didn't she?

McIcy said:
I'm sorry but why are you shocked? You know UK TV channels aren't happy if they aren't slicing and dicing shows

Wow, you really hate anime being on TV, don't you?

Personally, I don't know the rules about what things need to be cut, and what things don't need to be cut, but one thing I do know, is that they wouldn't cut something if they didn't have to. As has been said over, and over, and over, if you want to watch anime completely uncut, buy the DVD. If you don't mind a 2 second shot of an 11 year old showing the middle finger being cut out for whatever reason, then watching it on TV is fine.

Personally, I don't know the rules about what things need to be cut, and what things don't need to be cut, but one thing I do know, is that they wouldn't cut something if they didn't have to. As has been said over, and over, and over, if you want to watch anime completely uncut, buy the DVD. If you don't mind a 2 second shot of an 11 year old showing the middle finger being cut out for whatever reason, then watching it on TV is fine.

LOL I buy dvd series then!

I'm sorry but why are you shocked? You know UK TV channels aren't happy if they aren't slicing and dicing shows

Because like I said Rapture tv didn't edit the same gesture compared to anime network on pani poni dash and it puts me off watching animes that are edited. I probaly have to find away to buy the dvd series, hope there is a box set.

shh227 said:

Because like I said Rapture tv didn't edit the same gesture compared to anime network on pani poni dash and it puts me off watching animes that are edited. Yes there are too many slice and dicing shows but I think thats going to change soon.
Even on US TV anime is rarely shown unedited. It is just a fact that TVs cannot get away with the same level of stuff that DVD releases can. DVDs are entirely voluntary and while you are not forced to watch a particular TV channel there is the possibility that a view could accidentally see something that they find offensive or children could see the same without the same level of guidance that can be observed with DVDs. If Rapture chose to show something unedited that was possibly a risk they decided to take in order to remove the cost of having to edit the show in the hopes that nobody would actually complain. On top of that different channels and media groups have very different codes of conduct to which the whole abides. Some choose to push the bounds of acceptibility while others play it safe.

Fudce said:
McIcy said:

Wow, you really hate anime being on TV, don't you?

No I really don't hate anime on tv, I love anime on tv but hate it when its cut up, I feel the same way about normal tv series and movies that are cut up to suit a certain time of day.

Poni Poni is a great series and I got to see it at minami con last year and its a great community anime (meaning its best to watch in large groups), cause the whole audience was laughing along together

Gawyn said:
shh227 said:

Because like I said Rapture tv didn't edit the same gesture compared to anime network on pani poni dash and it puts me off watching animes that are edited. Yes there are too many slice and dicing shows but I think thats going to change soon.
Even on US TV anime is rarely shown unedited. It is just a fact that TVs cannot get away with the same level of stuff that DVD releases can. DVDs are entirely voluntary and while you are not forced to watch a particular TV channel there is the possibility that a view could accidentally see something that they find offensive or children could see the same without the same level of guidance that can be observed with DVDs. If Rapture chose to show something unedited that was possibly a risk they decided to take in order to remove the cost of having to edit the show in the hopes that nobody would actually complain. On top of that different channels and media groups have very different codes of conduct to which the whole abides. Some choose to push the bounds of acceptibility while others play it safe.

I also wonder if Propeller has to abide by a different ruleset to other channels, due to their national lottery funding etc...

Probably...

I'm sure once we jump the wall and get full 24 hour (Or 6a-midnight) on AN, AC and AM (Though I susspect I'll be drawing a pension before AM even gets it's limited service out) on a full schedule, these sorts of things will be a non issue outside of the junk that airs on the Kids channels.

Back