Anime movies that recap Tv series

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Me and my missus have just sat down to watch shana the movie only to realize that it is basically the first series fitted into a hour and a half movie. I was not happy knowing I have brought the same story twice. Why do so many anime films based on anime tv shows feel the need to recap what's gone before? Why don't they do some new story like the bleach and naruto movies seems to do? This isn't the first time this has happen with a film spin off and from now on I will be checking to make sure that future films like the steins gate, blood-c and the tiger and bunny movies aren't just recaps of the tv series before I will even think of buying them.What are your opinions on this guys?

I'm not a big fan of recaps but anime of late hasn't been too bad for it.

Traditionally the recap movies are often for export. Quite often the series wasn't released initially outside japan when the film was sent in its place, largely for cost and out of cynicism and scepticism. In time and with demand the series is released outside of Japan causing a confusion. Another reason of late is the Neon Genesis debacle. Two revision movies were released, the first was a review so the second made sense. The final reason seems to be selling old rope. If no one bought the series then how else can you redress a series at a fraction of a price, in hope of regaining/gaining interest. Thankfully it seems to be an occasional problem as any recap films tend to still come first if they come out at all. Films tend to be just that or run their own story.

To be fair with the Shakugan no Shana movie, JC Staff totally screwed the plot of the first 2 light novels in the anime (they jammed them together). However, with the Shana movie, they screwed it up again by shoving Margery Daw into the film. I was really looking forward to a more faithful adaptation of the first light novel, but was left disappointed because of Margery. However for the most part, the movie was the more accurate adaptation - in particular, I loved seeing the Friagne arc end as it did in the light novel with Alastor being forced out of Shana and manifesting. Also, Friagne's doll bombs.

To be honest, I think the main reason for them is to branch out to a wider audience. A lot of anime is shown on graveyard slots of TV channels, so if something is successful and could have better chances with a wider audience, a cinematic release seems to be the way to do that. However, many people would not have caught the TV airing, so a recap is needed to grab new fans in.

(As for Tiger & Bunny - the first film is a recap of the first 2 episodes with a new story at the end, while the second one is a sequel to the TV series).

Last edited by a moderator:
RahXephon film- Pluraltis Concentio (not sure about spelling of the first word).

This is basically a watchable chainsaw massacre of the entire series with some slight graphic tuning in places. If I hadn't already watched the series it would have lost me after seven-ten minutes. So I can understand where your coming from they are very annoying.

Has anybody else bought Gintama the movie that was released before christmas? I watched the series online since it's probably never going to reach here. Anyway it's a self professed re-hash of one of the story arcs, it was nice to have the warning and was done quite well.

Yeah I agree, it's a weird conceit that so, SO many anime series have at least one obligatory "Director's Cut" movie where it's basically a season in 90 minutes, with a handful of additional scenes. Generally they fortunately don't seem popular enough over here to warrant release. I think the only ones I know of are the Death Note Relights/Rewrites, The original Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy and whichever of the Evangelion movies was a recap (I think Death and Rebirth?) Obviously some series have recap episodes too, which are equally unwelcome, but it's no different than sitcom clip shows I guess (a phenomenon which seems to be dying fortunately).

Death was the recap (although IIRC there was some new stuff thrown in), Rebirth was the start of The End.

The Kiddy Grade movies were literally the TV footage (still in 4:3) cut and spliced into three segments with a few extra scenes and re-done sound effects (IMO not an improvement. There was also some dodgy editing of the original music track).

Back