Anime Light Novels

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
Wasn't sure where to put this, so here is fine.Came across these in an American bookshop and have seen some for GitS, Rahxephon, Robotech and Scrapped Princess. Now have read a few of these Rahxephon (fanboy that i am), Robotech and just picked up Scrapped Princess. Scrapped Princess and RahXephon Have been translated from Japanese, while the Robotech ones were written originally in English. The story generally remain fairly faithful, but can do a wonderful job of giving insight into secondary or tertiary character, background of the world, as well as seeing scenes form different point of view. It also allows for things that couldn't be done in anime, such as emotions, smells and other things that wouldn't be practical to do even in anime. The final line from the 1st Rahxephon book manage to poignantly drive home a point almost lost in the anime. While fun they are written for 'Young Adult' the writing is often simple enough for kids, but the content can be a little more mature (prostitution and morning glory) . They are also short, very short. Can finish one in about and hour and a half. Wondering if any else had come across these and read them.

Are you referring to the so called Ani-Manga, in which screengrabs are taken from the anime and replaced with speech bubbles.

In which case, yes i have. Never really thought too much of them though.

As of late, i've been more interested in light novels. I've read through the majority of three of the haruhi ones and although much shorter than normal novels, they are enjoyable to read. I didn't actually realise GitS had light novels, i'm probably gonna take a look into them at some point, but i am mostly interested in the FMP ones which are to start being released at the end of the year.

Nemphtis said:
Hm, is it easy to find light novels in the UK or am I going to be forced to import or something?

You won't find them in shops *or at least hardly ever* but you can get them off Amazon.co.uk if they've been translated into English.

Yeah, I did notice some of the Boogiepop ones on Amazon. I'm definitely planning on picking a few light novels up when I get back from my holiday, but at the moment I've already got more than enough awesome books to read this month, not to mention manga. ;D

Back