Anime feature film recommendations.

Jonboy87

Brigade Leader
Hey guys and gals.

I've normally mostly watched anime series (25 episode is enough for me). Recently I have been watching anime films. I bought Tekkonkinkreet a couple of months (which I loved). I plan to watch Paprika - although it seems abit too weird, I dunno, but i'll give it a try.

I've seen most of the Ghibli films which were all from good to great.

Anyways, could you guys recommend any other anime films worth watching or are 'must see' films. BTW please exclude films that have been taken from anime series's (e.g Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball, GITS etc).

BTW I've already seen or own these, so don't suggest the following titles;

GITS
Ninja Scroll
ghibli films
tekkonkinkreet
street fighter alpha (found this to be pretty bad tbh)
akira

Thanks.

Read or Die
Appleseed Firs CGI Movie
Rayearth

Edit:
just remembered about

Tokyo Godfathers
Samurai X Ova's (not movies, I know, but they are awesome nonetheless and considerably short)

One suggestion is to watch the filmographies of Satoshi Kon (director of Paprika, though his works vary) and Makoto Shinkai.

Alternatively, you could give these a try:
-Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade.
-Metropolis.
-The Wings of Honneamise.
-Memories.

I've heard of many other 'standalone' titles which have been well-received, but have yet to watch them. These include:
-Pale Cocoon.
-The Dog of Flanders.
-The Sky Crawlers.
-Sword of the Stranger.
-Steamboy.
-Barefoot Gen.

Don't take my word though. Here is a list of anime feature films courtesy of ANN. As you can see from it though, many acclaimed feature films derive from other series and franchises, the Macross and Patlabor films to name but a few.

Thanks guys, I was looking at that 'Girl who leapt through time' looks good.

Once again don't tell me to watch any ghibli films as i've seen em =P

I forgot about perfect blue, i'll have to watch that.

I'll have to look at the 'Manga' series of films too.

thanks, keep em coming! =)

Another vote for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, up there with the best Studio Ghibli stuff for me personally. Apart from the clever story and great characters, I absolutely loved the way it captured the look, sounds and feel of modern Tokyo.

Perfect Blue is a great psychological thriller, although some of the scenes make for uncomfortable viewing and are a bit unnecessary in my opinion. (Just a word of warning!) :)

EDIT: While I'm here, anyone got any thoughts on Origins? Keep seeing it in HMV but not sure if it's supposed to be any good or not. :?

Regards

K

Depends really on what you're looking for, there are alot of potential choices.

That beings said "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" is the right answer.

Lots of great suggestions so far, particularly Tokyo Godfathers and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Castle of Cagliostro is one of my favourite films but it's part of the Lupin III franchise.

A couple that haven't been mentioned: Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress is amazing. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is an elegant and stylish film by Yoshiaki Kawajiri -- a must watch if you enjoyed Ninja Scroll.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Castle of Cagliostro is one of my favourite films but it's part of the Lupin III franchise.
Only just. :p

It's a great film no question, but many of the regular characters are either out of character or poorly used. Watching Cagliostro before any of the other Lupins gives kind of a false impression of the franchise.

Kaede said:
While I'm here, anyone got any thoughts on Origins? Keep seeing it in HMV but not sure if it's supposed to be any good or not.
Origin has sat on my shelf unwatched for so long I might as well have waited for the price to drop. I think I'll watch it tonight. ;)

ayase said:
Watching Cagliostro before any of the other Lupins gives kind of a false impression of the franchise.
Yeah, it makes you think that it's good. Then you watch the cheapo TV movies :(

Secret of Mamo, Dead or Alive, Fuma Conspiracy, and Island of Assassins are some other good Lupin movies.

My two favourite animated full-length feature films were Only Yesterday and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Tokyo Godfathers is really a good watch, its not your stereotypical anime but still manages to mould the overall plot and story into an enjoyable anime movie.

I don't think Roujin Z has been mentioned yet. That's quite an enjoyable film.

Also, Black Jack is a very good under-rated film.

Back