Animax May be Coming to the UK!!

Aren't we all so optimistic here? =)
I'm one os those who believes that the more exposition it gets, more likely to become mainstream.
If it gets mainstream, it sells better, it sells better, more options will be available and so on and on and on....

Aion said:
Gawyn said:
Point 1 is that anime on TV is not there for the anime fanbase but for public consumption.

Only an idiot would pay to watch anime on TV without experiencing it in the past. Why throw away money on something you know nothing about?
Then why bother with paying for Sky at all? It's the same principle, but on a larger scale. Or if you want to be crude, it's the same principle as the Adult Channels.

A TV channel subscription has less risk to it than buying DVDs for an entire series.

Sky is a very well known name and has content that the UK public don't view as cartoony rubbish; 'normal' live-action stuff. The reason people pay for Sky is that they know what they'll be getting in advance...unlike with anime, which would attract no-one who hasn't watched it in the past if people had to pay to view the channel.

And, for the record, I don't have Sky. TV is filled with rubbish such as Eastenders and Big Brother - If I was the only person in the house I wouldn't pay towards the TV license/use my TV for television programs at all. The internet is the way to go for the few things on TV I have interest in (news and footie).

You can be sure that on Sky there will be endless repeats of Futurama, Simpsons, Shrek the 3rd twice a day for a week...

Yup, you know what you're getting with Sky, crap :)

As for only an idiot paying for anime without seeing it first, that must make me a huge idiot ;) Of the 200+ anime titles I own on DVD I'd only seen maybe 5 or 6 prior to buying them. Of those few, all were seen on TV first, not downloaded. And so far I've only dropped 1 series before getting to the end.

Maybe I just take more risks with my life.

Project-2501 said:
Maybe I just take more risks with my life.

You view spending your money on unknown DVD's as taking risks? Man oh man, I thought I was sad - I've been soundly defeated. :(

I still don't get what you're trying to say by mentioning titles like The Simpsons. By "cartoony rubbish" I was calling anime what adults think of Japanese animation before they give it a chance. The Simpsons, like The Family Guy, is one of the few animated shows an adult can watch without feeling shame, and Shrek is a worldwide CGI hit.

Also, there's a small difference between paying a fee to watch what appears on a channel and paying to own a DVD you can watch any time in its original lingo. Paying an extra subscription fee on top of your TV license to watch only the well known anime series over and over in English would be a waste of money even for established anime fans whilst the wonderful internet continues to exist.

Anime on TV doesnt work any more.

They need to offer decent licenses to channels like sci-fi etc again so atleast there is a constant stream of anime available.

one of the biggest problems for anime central was lack of affordable series. and look what happened.

The trouble is, Sci Fi and other channels that used to air Anime just aren't interested anymore.
Getting it (and keeping it) on our TV screens is vital if the industry is to grow over here, so I might suggest that the only way forward is for distributors to start offering Anime to big TV stations for free.

Channels are unwilling to splash out for fear of low viewing figures, so distributors need to take the first step and just get it out there, even if they make no money from it.
With luck, the station might just come back and PAY for more if the first show did fairly well. It's all about getting a foot in the door.

Aion said:
You view spending your money on unknown DVD's as taking risks?

You are the one who wants to try before you buy. ;)

For £17/month you get 1 new simpsons ep a week. That costs more than most anime DVDs. Family Guy, apart from being written by manatees and being dire, is available on BBC3 without a subscription.

Shrek 1 was good, 2 was iffy and 3 is just milking it. Pixar and Dreamworks are just trying to make more money from worn out ideas. Same with the simpsons movie. I'm not entirely sure why I pay for the sky movies package... although I did watch Robocop last night.

Even Cartoon network is stagnating now.

Aion said:
Also, there's a small difference between paying a fee to watch what appears on a channel and paying to own a DVD you can watch any time in its original lingo.

But with a TV channel, if you don't like whats on at that time you watch something else. AC were showing 6 (ok, 4 if you exclude Transformers and Bleach) series a night. Animax Germany show 8-9 series a day. Wait 30 mins and you get to watch something else :)

Buy a DVD you dislike and you're stuck with it. And personally I would be less interested in a channel that doesn't show dubs.

Lee, I don't think its up to the distros to offer things for free, I'm pretty sure they'd have to go to the licensor before they could do anything like that. Even then I can't see the TV channels taking a freebie.

Back