Am I getting myself into a scam?

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
Okay so in my attempt to get back into employment I applied to be a catalouge distributor for a company called Kleeneze, but I don't know if it's a scam or not considering I've heard horrible things about these sort of jobs

Though considering I'm having a hard enough time finding another job as it is (GAME, HMV, etc never seem to hire) and I'm willing to do almost anything to get myself a better income, should I go and do this despite any risks of being screwed over?

I know this might not be a good thing to ask, but having never done this before I need to know since there might be people here who have done the same thing and had either good or bad experiences

Ryo Chan said:
Invisible Crane said:
Though considering I'm having a hard enough time finding another job as it is (GAME, HMV, etc never seem to hire)

i wonder why :D

Hey I apply to more than just them (bar work, cleaning, shop assistant at local/major stores, supermarket work, data entry, etc) but I've had terrible luck in finding work

And yes I know GAME almost went out of business and HMV are struggling a bit but I keep trying them since those places appeal to me a lot

It's been going a long time so I doubt it's a scam, AFAIK it's basically a door-to-door franchise operation like Avon. Not much different to being self employed in that the amount of work you put in = the amount of money you stand to make. If you half-assedly distribute the catalogues over a small area and nothing sells from them, you'll earn nothing. If you jam your foot in people's doors and force them to buy things at the tip of a ball-point pen, you'll make money. Most people do something in-between.

Kleenezee have been around for ages, we always get their catalogues posted through the door. I used to have a laugh flicking through the catalogues and seeing what bonkers products were in there. I'd imagine it's a purely commission based job like Ayase was saying, but yeah they've been around for as long as I can remember so I wouldn't think it was a scam.

I'd be wary of taking a job like a Kleeneze lackey job. Your success depends on the whims of the masses, and in the current finanical climate, these masses are feeling frugal. You could work your ass off and still fail due to market conditions. It is cruel, it is soul destroying, it is a huge gamble. There are better options.

Or he might live in an area full of middle class housewives who have nothing better to do than buy from him! He's not going across the country trying to sell 10,000 units.

ilmaestro said:
Or he might live in an area full of middle class housewives who have nothing better to do than buy from him!

He could even find some lonely middle class housewives, this could lead to a better paid job.

Teo

Nah, I think you're OK. I know a few people who've worked as a Kleeneze person and they've always been alright...one guy in particular has been doing it for YEARS, so I guess you should be OK.

Back