After the Rain Review

Excellent review, thank you. I really enjoyed the message of the series overall, as you mentioned, and how characters at very different periods in their life rediscover their passions & ambitions. If not for other similarly positive reviews I never would have watched this based on the synopsis, which unfortunately probably turns away a lot of the assumed target audience who enjoy character dramas.

I found the dichotomy in the opening and closing credits quite interesting, with the former being bubbly romance (an intentional misdirection like the synopsis perhaps?) with the closing perfectly summarising, in my opinion, the message of the series of getting over a slump, with the clearing of the rain on the tracks.

@Sarah:

This series was on my radar, and now it's on my list to buy. Many thanks for the review; it was an excellent piece of writing. I really enjoyed reading it. 🙂
@Neil.T : Thank you - and it was a pleasure for me to review this series; it's filled with unexpected and revealing little moments but is never sentimental - I don't think you'll regret buying and watching this one. :)

@Geriatric hedgehog : Thank you - and I'm so glad you enjoyed this series too! And I like your apt comments about the opening and closing credits; the bubbly romance dream imagery in the OP takes its cue from some of the mangaka's splash pages but, as you say, can be read as misdirection - whereas the ending reinforces the underlying hopeful imagery that the rain and the rainy skies will clear.

I've watched this show twice on Prime, and I'll definitely be picking up the blu-rays. It's such a quiet, understated story, and the romance element (such as it is, and while it remains a focus) feels innocent and charming.
It presents a dilemma for any viewer though, since those who don't want it to be an age-gap romance will have trouble with the first half, and those who do want it to be a romance will be disappointed when the focus pivots elsewhere halfway.

Back