Afro Samurai hype

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Gonzo's long touted Afro Samurai, which will be starring famous actor Samuel L. Jackson, is now well underway and according to Anime Nation, will be a 5 episode series that is going to premiere in 2006. Yahoo! have more information on Afro Samurai, quoting a press release as saying; "the series, produced in Japanese animation, blends samurai style with hip-hop, creating a kind of action that American audiences have never seen before."

To be honest, the more I read about Afro Samurai, the more my anticipation for it dips. It could be massive for anime though, so I hope it's not as "cash in" as it sounds.

I found that quote at the end rather funny, talking about the unique samurai style with hip-hop vibe; they've basically just described Samurai Champloo ;)

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this myself. On one hand because its got a famous actor involved , its going to appeal more to the mainstream. This will hopefully hook in a lot more anime fans.

However im dubious that because it is likely to be very americanised , I personally will find it as lacking as I do most non-japanese animation. It may lose the qualities I feel make anime so good.

Paul said:
To be honest, the more I read about Afro Samurai, the more my anticipation for it dips. It could be massive for anime though, so I hope it's not as "cash in" as it sounds.

Strange, because mine goes up.

Paul said:
"the series, produced in Japanese animation, blends samurai style with hip-hop, creating a kind of action that American audiences have never seen before."

:lol: Only those who haven't seen Samurai Champloo. And I don't think many who'll watch this (v. short) series will have not come across Champloo, or at least heard of it.

Back