ADV is not dead

Is out of here

Great Teacher
Sourced from AnimeNewsNetwork's panel report:

Bamboo Dong said:
Ledford started the panel with a prepared speech, thanking the fans for all their support throughout the years, and for showing up to the panel, which marked ADV's 16th year at Anime Expo. “It's no secret that it's been a very bad year for ADV,â€

Kireek said:
They're still eager to continue the series that have already been started, meaning their remaining ongoing titles, like Yotsuba&!
Let's hope they do because Yotsuba is the only thing I'm buying from ADV now.

It's great that ADV are still alive, at least ^__^

Kireek said:
During the questions and answers portion, the panelists said that a live-action Evangelion was still in the works, and that they had pitched the project to three studios. Weta is still on board to work on the movie.

YES!! :]

I have my doubts about ADV now.

I've made it a personal mantra that they're sitting on Yotsuba just to be a pest (a sort of Skeletor/Cobra Comander "If I can't rule the world, I'll blow it up!" sort of idea) and not let, say, Del Ray or someone pick it up and do a good job with it.

Conan-san said:
I have my doubts about ADV now.

I've made it a personal mantra that they're sitting on Yotsuba just to be a pest (a sort of Skeletor/Cobra Comander "If I can't rule the world, I'll blow it up!" sort of idea) and not let, say, Del Ray or someone pick it up and do a good job with it.
That would be more like "If I can't rule the world, I'll close down and kill my business" which would really make a big and long lasting affect in the anime and manga world. not :roll:

I'm glad ADV are still around and seeking new licenses, but I also don't see the Evangelion live action movie coming out anytime soon.

They said that they were half way to reaching the amount of money required to finance the film. Yet, if they had such a significant amount of money, why did their manga department go into decline, newtype shut down, many staff members get laid off, office furniture get auctioned off and so many licenses get lost?

If the movie happens, safe to say it wont be for a good while until one, the american market restabilises, and two, ADV have enough money so as not to jeapordise the future of their business by going ahead with the project. I hope that they do continue on, license some good titles and eventually fund the title because I'm interested in seeing how it turns out, but at the moment, chances of it being made are about as likely as Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 - not very great.

the way I see, it's better to have just a few licenses and do a good job with them, then having loads of crap licenses and do, well, what they are doing right now :/

Kireek said:
During the questions and answers portion, the panelists said that a live-action Evangelion was still in the works, and that they had pitched the project to three studios.

Because the first two turned them down :p

Seriously though, a live action Eva film is a hell of a thing for ADV to be attempting in their current state. Given that they had to sell off office furniture the other week. I would much rather they concentrate on their established licences and yes, get the other volumes of Yotsuba out!

ayase said:
I would much rather they concentrate on their established licenses and yes, get the other volumes of Yotsuba out!
It seems like they want to embrace the whole world by themselves. It seems to me that ADV wants to be madman when they grow up.
I've found a list of their animes as i figured I rather get as much from them as I can or else, it will be OOP soon....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:ADV_Films

chaos said:
It seems like they want to embrace the whole world by themselves. It seems to me that ADV wants to be madman when they grow up.
Thing is Madman doesn't have to compete with other companies. This probably means that they don't have to bid for licenses (making them cheaper), and despite the fact that Australia has a third of our population there is a much larger anime community, probably per capita and and in total as well.

hopeful_monster said:
chaos said:
Thing is Madman doesn't have to compete with other companies. This probably means that they don't have to bid for licenses (making them cheaper), and despite the fact that Australia has a third of our population there is a much larger anime community, probably per capita and and in total as well.
I know what you mean. Actually I've meant that in the sense that madman has virtually all the licenses for all the good shows in region 4. The way I see, ADV just started buying licenses regardless of the show low popularity / quality. ADV have a huge number of licenses, but it seems to me that they made some seriously bad decisions with regards to what to license....

In the next few weeks/months, there'll be news about them going down the crapper again. They just don't know when to give up.

Aaron said:
In the next few weeks/months, there'll be news about them going down the crapper again. They just don't know when to give up.
Didn't you learn a thing with all those shounen shows around?!?!? you NEVER give up!!! No matter how beaten up, if you almost dead, (in some cases, even if you're dead), you NEVER give up!, NEVER! =D

I believe they can still get out of this mess gracefully. But it's not easy and that Ledford guy does not convince me he is up to this challenge. I hope he proves me wrong.

chaos said:
Aaron said:
Didn't you learn a thing with all those shounen shows around?!?!? you NEVER give up!!! No matter how beaten up, if you almost dead, (in some cases, even if you're dead), you NEVER give up!, NEVER! =D
Yeah, but ADV doesn't do shounen shows. :roll:. As for the licences the problem may not have been so much which ones they bought, but how much they paid for them.

chaos said:
Aaron said:
Didn't you learn a thing with all those shounen shows around?!?!? you NEVER give up!!! No matter how beaten up, if you almost dead, (in some cases, even if you're dead), you NEVER give up!, NEVER! =D.
In a fit of deleterious and delicious irony, they gave up the one show that would of taught them that lesson.

That show is now going to air on Sci-Fi US where it once did not have a TV Deal.

Oh Delicious Irony, let me taste you, for your taste is like the tears of Scott Tenorman and they require less parent murder for me to partake of them.

hopeful_monster said:
chaos said:
Aaron said:
Yeah, but ADV doesn't do shounen shows. :roll:. As for the licences the problem may not have been so much which ones they bought, but how much they paid for them.

or as Dragonball taught us, there is no maximum level, once you've reached your full potential, train some more and you'll reach a new level........ somehow............... i don't get the science of it

hopeful_monster said:
chaos said:
Aaron said:
Now I got it. This was their problem!!! =D Do they do any moe stuff? they do a lot of fanservice series, so I heard xD

Back