ADV cause controversy with Gantz DVDs

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In what has sparked off heated debate around various anime communities, ADV (US) are planning to release the R1 version of 26 episode sci-fi series Gantz on 13 separate DVD volumes, thus - only two episodes per DVD.

ADV are yet to officially comment on this move and many claim this is could be a requirement of the Japanese companies behind Gantz.

Ouch, that'll take up some shelf space. Assumably this is to give us that Japanese feeling, although I don't see why, considering that sticking 3-4 episodes on 1 disc was never a problem in the past. I take it they are cheaper to compensate for the lack of episodes, or is this just a huge moneymaker?

From what I've been reading, the price hasn't actually be dropped much at all. Unless they are planning to release one volume every month, I think this is a really bad move; kind of like throwing rocks at a wasps nest.

And I was really looking forward to the uncut Gantz DVDs too. I love the manga and followed the first season of the anime on fansub. I thought it was one of the best new anime of the year, so I'm pretty gutted about all this. 13 discs is going to take up some major shelf space!

ADV UK don't actually have the license for Gantz. As far as I'm aware, ADV US only bought the US license rights, so other territories are still up for grabs.

As for the complaints, the main one seems to be the shelf space issue... which doesn't really concern me much, regardless of how little space I've got for discs at the minute.

Unless they start doing this for every release from now on (which I really can't see, given the backlash from this one), I don't see the point in getting worked up.

I'm going to buy this one regardless.

Yeah, but you have to admit it takes the mick a bit, surely. I mean, I thought 8 discs for a 26 episode series was pushing it, but 13? Thats a little extortionate for 26 episodes. Or maybe we're just used to having 3, 4, 5, or even 6 episodes a disc that this seems like cheek, I don't know. Not that this'll stop me from buying it.

Its been sold for $17.99 though, so at least it wont have JPR2 like prices ;)

I bet it was Victors fault (there the company that are releasing it in Japan)

Back