a story and artsyle that just don't fit...

ikillgiants

Completely Average High School Student
have you ever watched an anime whereby you felt like the artstyle and story just don't fit.

an example:

last night i decided to give the first episode of "Higurashi: when they cry" a shot.

i didnt really know what i was expecting but heard that there was a lot of terrifying mystery and intrigue.

well the thing that really got to me the most was they way the characters as children were represented as big eyed loli girls.

now don't get me wrong i feel like this art style fits in a certain context (usually involving hijinxes and magic etc) but in the context of this story it just didn't seem to gel with me especially considering the adults were drawn in a much more naturalistic style

i have only watched the first episode but wondered if anyone had a similar experience either with this show or with others

Well done, you got the whole point of Higurashi. There's supposed to be that disparaty!!
It's partly a genre deconstruction of nakige, a bishoujo game without moe and bishoujo would be plain wierd. It's a typical plot but with the tragedy elements exchanged for horror. Works realy well as it strenghtens the disbelief at just how violent it is,and makes it less realistic so it can get away with more.Rika's suicide or the torture scenes would be way too extreme if it was realistic.

Others:
Gundam-W, this series is supposed to be aimed at a male audience.

Lots the of the big manga serieals having artstyle rules does essentialy prevent this form ever happening outside of genre parodies.

Last edited by a moderator:
in hindsight thats a really neat idea. i had never considered that the artstyle was an intentional way to play with the violent themes of the series.

i'm not going to give up on it yet and your reply has given me a new found enthusiasm for the show.

(also i just found the original novel/games on the itunes store, the first one is free)

Back