30th Anniversary Edition of My Neighbour Totoro to be released

Totoro is an undisputed masterpiece, but this seems like a pretty pointless release. If they did Mononoke last year then there was a 6 hour making-of ripe for the the picking, but this seems to just be tat and a book that's already available separately. Not even the soundtrack.

I also thought Anime Limiteds Your Name release was an absolute ripoff, so that point doesn't mean much to me.

I agree with this point. I don't own any version of YN since honestly the film isn't that rewatchable.

For Totoro I'd need the OST, and maybe some little figure or somethign more substantial

There's plenty of scope for better editions of the Studio Ghibli films by actually licensing / commissioning proper extras that contextualise/discuss the film and not mere featurettes and puff pieces. The most obvious being Princess Mononoke, which has a 6 1/2 hour making of documentary sitting unsubtitled. But that's obviously not what's being done here.

It also feels like a snub to Grave of the Fireflies that they're ignoring its simultaneous 30th anniversary; it obviously doesn't have the commercial appeal of Totoro, but I don't see any reason they couldn't have packaged them together for a true 30th anniversary release.

If they want me to fork over +£100 for a Miyazaki, bring me Future Boy Conan #brokenrecord

Back