2004: Year in Review

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
2004 has proven to be, if nothing else, an exciting year for UK anime fans. We have sampled the highs of an increased number DVD releases (mostly courtesy of ADV and MVM) and the lows of acclaimed (and popular) anime series being regularly snubbed by British TV channels (probably in favour of yet another reality TV show).

Anime (in the UK) in 2004, while undoubtedly a small niche of interest for most in this country, has been subtly creeping into the British mainstream conscience. No one can argue with increased DVD sales and releases, a new (and mostly dedicated) anime magazine in NEO and the largest UK anime convention attendance (at AmeCon 2004) for a long time. This has been a year of slow but sure progress, spent building the foundations for the further success of anime in UK.

This is our review of anime in the UK in 2004, an epic trilogy of articles detailing this past year- our favourite UK DVD releases, our favourite fansubbed anime, the UK's highest and lowest points in 2004 and even our favourite UK anime websites! Happy new year and the best of luck in 2005!
2004- Year in Review: [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]

You have far too much time on your hands Paul :p

very nice post and hopefully my site will be one of those ones to come out of the corner next year :D

I have to disagree about Najiaca, it has a pretty good story underneath the panties.

Agree about FruBa though. Probably my fave series of the year.

Looking forward to FMA most next year

Erm, the largest ever UK anime convention attendance was not at AmeCon, it still goes to Shin-nen-Kai from a few years ago.

I agree alot about Kino's Journey this had to be the best dvd out on the last half of 2004. Its not like anything else that come out on the last half of the year and it made you think alot of the story and the progression of the serie and i cant wait untill the last 2 dvds come out.

NekoJoe said:
Erm, the largest ever UK anime convention attendance was not at AmeCon, it still goes to Shin-nen-Kai from a few years ago.

Really? From all the hype surrounding AmeCon 2004 I'm sure people were saying it was the biggest attendance? Thanks for the heads up anyway, I'll be sure to update the article.

First off, got to say nice article. The thing that interested me was this:

One hopes that in 2005, not only will more UK dedicated anime websites appear- but that such websites work closer together. Right now, the UK online scene is rather fractured, with webmasters more or less happy to stick to their own little corners of interest. Simple things such as an affiliation with other UK websites will go a long way to helping others become aware that not only does a UK anime internet scene exist, but that it's healthy and thriving

I think that the above is very true, and most UK anime websites are quite self contained. UKA is guilty of that as well.

I've been sitting here thinking of how this kind of problem could be gotten around with out doing site mergers or relaying on site over the other? I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Oh...and hi. ^_^

Hi! Nice to see someone from UKA hanging around!

I suppose I'm just talking about the way most UK anime websites stick to their 'own'. I would love to see more 'community spirit' from the webmasters- things like mentioning new sites and running affiliation schemes would really give upcoming or ignored UK websites a helping hand. I'm always willing to plug a fellow UK site.

I was talking with Damo from www.eyeonanime.co.uk back in December and he suggested some form of UK portal or network. Every UK site displays the small button from this network to show they are a part of the 'UK scene'.

We just need to look at more ways at making people aware that a UK scene exists. I enjoy the rivalry and competition between my fellow UK webmasters, but would be happy to put that aside and help promote a united UK scene. I'm open to suggestions.

another UKA fan here. i agree that the sites need to work together a bit more...there is definitely some way to go in terms of anime's image - i had one or two funny looks for reading this month's NEO in a coffee shop in the centre of york, for crying out loud! apart from extended entries to websites' links pages, i'm not sure how this can be achieved though. i agree that a common logo or something would definitely give us all identity.

Concrete badger said:
i had one or two funny looks for reading this month's NEO in a coffee shop in the centre of york
Concrete badger? Any relation to Yorkshire Badger from UKA?

Ive read manga at my college, got some funny looks but thats because they think im reading it back to front lol.

Yep, that's me. it's kinda weird reading from right to left, but i soon got used to it...anyway, back on-topic, 2004 was peretty good for anime but i'm looking forward to loads of stuff this year.

Just wanted to echo the generally positive sentiment already expressed in this thread. And Damo's idea sounds like a good one - I'd be willing to support a UK portal site.

Now that the first couple of weeks of 2005 have come and gone I feel like posting my thoughts on 2004.

This was the first proper year of me been an anime fan, last year I started a few series, and in some cases finshed them off too!

Last year I also joined a few forums, which has led to me finding out how moany anime fans can be, whether its cus the artbox isn't sturdy (!), or it has one too many dvds etc

It was also the year where I found out about importing, and how some UK fans refuse to buy the UK releases of anime at all, for varoius reasons (most of which are a load of rubbish to me)

I also found out how much certain fans have a problem with people watching anime dubbed, despite the fact that most watch either both tracks or just the english one, of course the people moaning have probably never tried a good english dub.....

Last year I also started reading manga, although I still prefer anime as off right now.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on last year.

Back