UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

This (K-on: Ultimate Collection [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray) is the Sentai 2019 release right?

Honestly I'm not too bothered with the collectors stuff so I'll wait to see if Funi is same quality and then choose whichevers the cheapest haha

Edit: yeah it must be has a copyright 2019 on it
Yeah that 2019 release is the recent Sentai collection that I was referring to! It's an interesting one because they re-authored it so that it's 6 discs for the main content while the 7th disc is bonus features. Plus, their recent release also managed to get their hands on the K-On! Ura-On! shorts from both seasons.

Yeah that 2019 release is the recent Sentai collection that I was referring to! It's an interesting one because they re-authored it so that it's 6 discs for the main content while the 7th disc is bonus features. Plus, their recent release also managed to get their hands on the K-On! Ura-On! shorts from both seasons.
Oh cool, I haven't seen those shorts, only seen whats on Funimations service for K-On!

Can't wait to see the golden age of anime this global monopoly is going to bring 🙃
Yeah I couldn't be happier that governments are interfering with the Crunchyroll buyout. Though there is the big risk that it will still go ahead anyway. I could write a novel on how damaging that would be.

Speaking of the Crunchyroll buyout I wonder what they'll do with their brand. Imo it would make sense to rebrand everything as Crunchyroll (it has great brand awareness, even my mum knows that crunchyroll is that anime thing) but ig they could stick with funimation and merge crunchyroll into Funi's less than amazing website

Speaking of the Crunchyroll buyout I wonder what they'll do with their brand. Imo it would make sense to rebrand everything as Crunchyroll (it has great brand awareness, even my mum knows that crunchyroll is that anime thing) but ig they could stick with funimation and merge crunchyroll into Funi's less than amazing website
I wouldn't be surprised if they kept them as two seperate services to maximize profit. It would also allow them to cherry pick the best licenses for their blu-ray releases. If they did merge they would probably keep the Crunchyroll brand I would assume.

For better or worse, the name Manga Entertainment will slowly disappear but it's something I'll always remember as a cornerstone of the UK anime market. The introductory brand that brings/brought the popular series that act as a gateway to the world of anime, their releases formed the base of my collection back when I was just getting into the medium and collecting stuff. While flawed, their releases of Akira, Ghost in the Shell and the Evangelion rebuild movies showed me a wider world of anime that led me to many places and to many brands that also distribute anime with a much wider selection. It was a bittersweet relationship over the last couple of years, with the number of titles I bought from them steadily dwindling but every so often they'd announce something that I would get really excited for, Hunter x Hunter, Human Lost, Clannad and the uncut Wicked City/Demon City (even with it's issues, like failing to acquire the rights to release their own dub), reinvigorated the brand for me but ultimately it was short lived and things were still plagued with issues. You were the House of the Rising Shounen, that's been the ruin of many a poor fan just starting out but you were a bedrock that formed a foundation for anime in the UK.

The thread may be staying but it's sad to say goodbye to a name so synonymous with anime in the UK. You may not have been perfect but when you did something good, you did amazing. Hopefully this sacrifice of brand recognition can lead to more consistency and variety in the future under Funimation. RIP Manga Entertainment, 1987-2021. Your tombstone shall read "I didn't recognise a goddamn vampire that jumped up and bit me on the end of my f***ing dick."
As expected Manga/Funi UK loved to delays things.

They Q3 catalogue was dry anyway compare to last year :(

Remember when Anime Limited was the one people joked about for their delays? How the times change.
Ah yes I remember the Zeta Gundam saga, that was daft.

I am just baffled that My Hero Academia Season 4 Part 2 went from February 2021 to September 2021, that's a plus ultra oof right there.

Imagine they delay a show for LE issues reasons only to at the last minute cancel it.

Stares at MHA S4 Part 2 LE

Plus, there is literally nothing to buy this month on Funi/MangaUK apart from finishing off their shounen collections which doesn't really count LOL.

There's also BOFURI LE going from April 2021 to August 2021 (4 month gap). Plunderer LE isn't too bad as it's a 1 month gap.

Regarding BOFURI, if it gets delayed once more, I'll just import.

I understand they are still doing the Funi switch, but they have been making poor decision after poor decision.

DBZ Part and HxH Part 5 only this month.
This is not okay.

I understand they are still doing the Funi switch, but they have been making poor decision after poor decision.

DBZ Part and HxH Part 5 only this month.
This is not okay.
Tbf in some cases like Golden Kamuy it's delayed due to something involving the Japanese license holder iirc. I wouldn't place all the blame on Funimation as I can imagine it's frustrating for them to keep having to delay things for reasons out of their control.

Back