Kino's Journey

ayase

State Alchemist
Wow. I really should have watched this sooner. I bought the dvd's a while ago from Play for £5.99 each (I think you still can) and just got round to finishing them.

It started well and I loved the thoughtful nature of Kino's Journey, but Kino's origin story put me off a little, which slowed the pace I watched at - it just seemed a bit far-fetched (but now that I think about it, the show contains a talking motorcycle. Strange how suspense of disbelief works, isn't it?)

But during "The Land of Books" I suddenly realised how in love with Kino's Journey I was. The thing I loved most was how accutely aware most of the characters seemed about their position in the world, for good or ill, and how non-judgemental it all was. One of the few programmes I've watched which really puts the viewer in the position of just that - an observer. Not inviting you to take sides or form opinions, to just be content to join Kino on her journey.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, and maybe convince a few who haven't yet watched to give it a go.

ps. Does anyone know if the two short follow up films are available legitamately anywhere with english subs?

Well, after reading this then going to read some other reviews, they all seemed pretty good. I figured I might as well try it, especially at 6 quid a volume; I should be ordering it soon! ;D

Funny that. I also bought them off Play. I have only watched the first 3 episodes so far.

I will write my thoughts when I finish, probably tues or wed

Kino's Journey is definitely one of my favourite series.

The series follows the journeys of a young girl, Kino, as she travels around a strange land. With one exception all the episodes are standalone (and, as is later shown, non-chronological), and there is no overarching story - it's pretty much a case of another town, another episode.

The almost inevitable comparison to Kino's Journey is Mushishi, as both are relatively slow-paced episodic series centering around a wandering protagonist. As well as Mushshi, people sometimes compare the atmosphere of Kino's Journey to Serial Experiment Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and Haibane Renmei.

The difficulty of producing episodic series like this is in making each episode varied and imaginative enough to keep the series interesting - and Kino's Journey does this admirably. Whereas Mushishi goes for a more mystical, fairytale route, Kino's Journey episodes are more thoughtful and penetrating, with people very much the focus. This can result in some episodes being rather depressing, but I never felt that the series goes too far in that respect (although mileage may vary).

Kino herself is quite an interesting character. Quite a bit different from your usual protagonist, she often acts as a neutral observer in the palces she visits. This part of Kino's personality, her non-judgemental nature, is intrinsic in letting the story in each episode play out, and encourages the viewer to think about it. She's not just a vehicle for the viewer though, she does have her own distinct personality - although she is unnaturally self-possessed, she's not always as calm as she appears on the surface, getting just as scared or angry as other people would in her position. She can often appear sagacious beyond her years and yet still be filled with a wonder at the world normally found in much younger children. This makes more sense in light of her backstory.

Her personality is slowly revealed more and more as the episodes progress, often in her interation with her companion Hermes, a talking motorbike. Invaluable in the series beyond the mudane travelling from place to place, Hermes acts at varying times as a mirror for Kino's thoughts and a foil for them, as well as providing some moments of comic relief to lighten the tone.

The production of the series - artwork, music and so forth - works fine but didn't strike me as anything particularly special. But this is a series that focuses on content after all, so it doesn't need to be.
I think that if any series could actualise that it's the journey, not the destination, that matters, it would be this one.

ayase said:
Does anyone know if the two short follow up films are available legitamately anywhere with english subs?
Nope, the two movies and episode 0 aren't licenced anywhere outside of Japan, as far as I'm aware.
The first movie (Life goes on) shows some more of Kino's backstory, but raises as many questions as it answers. Ep. 0 and the second movie are basically indistinguishable from episodes from the series.
Worth watching if you can find them, but you're not missing out on anything major if not.

Glad to know there's a few people out there interested, though it's a shame about the movies not being licenced. I always try to get my hands on things legally if possible - if fansubs it has to be they usually end up in a double dvd case with the original Japanese r2, unless it's prohibitavely expensive.

*sigh* If only the Japanese releases had English subtitles on to begin with.

Go for it Yagami, as long as you know to some extent what to expect of Kino's Journey, I find it hard to see you being dissapointed. It would be good to hear yours and jonboy's opinions.

Ramadahl, you're completly right about Kino not just being a vehicle for the viewer, I can see how someone who hasn't watched the show could get that impression. Of all the complex characters in Kino's world, she is by far and away the most interesting.

I often find myself drawn to wandering characters such as Kino, Ginko and even my forum namesake from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (check that out too everyone, and we may one day get an English release). Something about the sense not only of freedom but of looking at the world in a new and somewhat detatched way. I've done a bit of travelling alone myself, and know the feeling very well.

Everyone seems to have nothing but positive comments for this series ... but at the same time, I just can't justify buying it and adding it to my already long anime pile :/

Ramadahl - that's a great review you put here.
I've seen all of Kino, I'm midway through Lain and I've loved Haibane as well. I'm considering Mushishi after what I read here.

Kino's light novels are been published by tokyopop in english. The series faithfully follows the light novels, so I would only recommend to hardcore fans. Still very enjoyable though.

It's a worthwhile series at budget price, but don't be suckered into thinking that this is the be all and end all of anime. It's a very interesting series, but it's hardly something you put in the player again and again and again. Whilst few will dislike it, it's one of those pleasant things that never really inspires hugely strong feelings of attachment either. Kino herself is interesting, but not in such a strong way that you feel anything but a minor attachment to her as a character: she's interesting in how she reacts to each new oddity, but the heavily episodic scenario precludes her actual development through each land.

don't be suckered into thinking that this is the be all and end all of anime.

Is it possible to say that of any anime though? There are an awful lot of different genres, and yet more different people who enjoy watching them.

I found I *did* become attached to Kino & Hermes, not because of character development, but because the viewer is the only other following them on their journey. While this may in part be to do with the nature of the programme, and that it isn't possible to become attached to any of the other characters as they are never around for more than one episode - doesn't that put you in the mindset of a traveller, and help you identify with Kino more?

I do watch certain things over and over. I've seen Ghost in the shell several times, eva had several viewings as well. 12 Kingdoms, which is the anime I consider my favourite, I've seen it about 4 times now...
Slayers have been watched a few times as well...

I liked Kino's journey as well. Got them cheap off play (as well :lol: ) and ended up watching them at University. I enjoyed it and thought it got stronger as it progressed...but something about the atmosphere of the series seemed a bit off...but I can't quite place what it was.

I adore Kino's Journey.

The main aspect I like about the series is how calm and light-hearted it is; it is literally just a journey. I got the same feeling whilst watching it as I did when exploring the countless caves (et cetera) on Oblivion.

Just my quick input, I love this anime and I love the OP track. I've been contemplating picking up the light novels or whatever, and also I think there's an OVA or two for it according to MyAnimeList's database. Kino's Journey always has a place on my DVD shelf with no risk of being sold to fund my videogame addiction, and that's as good a seal of approval as any.

Nemphtis said:
Just my quick input, I love this anime and I love the OP track. I've been contemplating picking up the light novels or whatever, and also I think there's an OVA or two for it according to MyAnimeList's database.

I think these were the short films we were talking about. It seems there was also a "pilot episode" of sorts which, according to Wikipedia, was bundled with the first film. None of these have yet had an English release.

I recently watched some of the extra episodes, the Tower Country and the Country of Illness or something. They're pretty much just extra episodes, but they're of the same quality as the main series and worth watching if you simply must have some more Kino. Tower Country was slightly odd, but the Illness one is an interesting story.

Kino's Journey is definitely high up on my favourites list - it's a different pace and a different viewpoint. I love her observer/neautral stance on everything and seeing the strange, comic and tragic lands she visits.

Something to watch if you're feeling contemplative and existential, perhaps!

most of the series she does act neutral and observing, but in the coliseum eps, I don't think she is so neutral... your views on this? I also thought the series was taking some turn at that point, but the very next episode put the series back to what it was...

chaos said:
most of the series she does act neutral and observing, but in the coliseum eps, I don't think she is so neutral... your views on this? I also thought the series was taking some turn at that point, but the very next episode put the series back to what it was...
I think Kino always tries to be non-interventionalist, but does fight back if her life is threatened. And in the colisseum her life was threatened to the maximum by being forced to fight in battles to the death. I know what you mean though chaos, it's as if that experince made her judge the people of that country and broke her neutrality somewhat.

Time for a big spoiler-ridden opinion: I thought I saw what was coming in the last ep, when things seemed to be going creepily like Kino's origin story, with her cast as the original Kino. I thought that what the Author told to Kino in the land of books, about her life not being real at all and just based off a story - was true. And that she was about to meet the same fate as the original Kino, the girl she met would become the new Kino and the story would begin again! I'm glad it didn't happen, but the fact that those seeds were planted in my mind is proof of what a good story it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ayase - mm, interesting, I've never paid much atention to the contry of books eps. will pay more attention to it next time I see Kino. which might take a while considering my list of to watch.. :(

Back