Jet Li's Fearless

Martin

Death Scythe
The film that's rumoured to be his last martial arts flick is out in the cinemas now - has anyone had chance to see it yet? Judging by the roll-call of cast and crew it looks like a real spectacle but Empire magazine were less than impressed with it.

I'll end up watching it on DVD at some point but the screenshots I've sen so far suggest that it's best seen on the big screen first. :)

i have yet to see it, but next time i am at a cinema it is what i plan to see, if it is his last martial arts film i will be a little miffed since i like his martial arts films..Hero for one is one i liked a lot.

I went to see it yesterday with my Girlfriend and my god it blew me away, the whole movie is loving created with gorgeous backdrops and amazing music to accompany any mood that the movie sets in place

Jet Li's performance is spot on as the Fearless Hero and it seems a shame that it will be his last Martial Arts movie as he really is on top form here, The Story itself is based on true events but of course it has a hollywood shine to it

All in all the movie is one of the very few that actually caused me to shed a tear in more than one place, IMO it is an amazing movie that everyone must see atleast once

Im going to have to go the opposite way to Numta. To me it is most definatly a fil for Jet Li fans only, youve seen most of the stuff before including the basic story.

Im going to have to go the opposite way to Numta. To me it is most definatly a fil for Jet Li fans only, youve seen most of the stuff before including the basic story.

Sorry for the double post, stupid net connection making me think it hadnt been submitted.

I saw the first 20 or so minutes of this movie and i was like
*juggernaout style*
''what the **** is this ****?''
it was so dissapointing. i mean if this is his ''last martial arts epic'' then shouldnt it at least start good.
i stopped watching it after that.
i may watch it again, on dvd or something, at my own pace, but i was not impressed with what i saw so far.

I saw it, enjoyed it. Its like a back to form thing for Jet Li - going back to what launched him in the first place. This film is closer to Once upon a Time in China than anything he has done recently.

I saw an interesting quote: "Its not so much a martial arts movie as a movie about martial artists"

It is certainly very cliche-ed, but executed very well - an impetuous child grows up to be an arrogant man, not so much a martial artist as a sports fighter, surrounding himself with flunkies.

Basically pride before a big fall, from which he reinvents himself.

It has an awful lot of emotional power in the later scenes.

The fight choreography is not 'fantastic' in the sense of Hero or certain more recent films, but firmly down to earth - but its practiced by masters. Quite vicious too, with literally bone-crushing injuries.

And Ninja Boy! you have to watch to the mid-point, at which the film turns around. Hell, you didn't even get to see him fight Tanaka.

Nice to see we have a healthy debate on the movie! ^^ I think the thing that stuck with me the most from the movie was as Laughing Manji said how powerful the emotion it threw at you was

Yeah apparently he is gonna retire from martial arts flicks, that sucks I loved his in Romeo Must Die and Cradle to the Grave as well as Unleashed and The Legend, hope he does make some more, I really enjoy watching his fighting style

Another film I have to rent, dammit I hope Blockbusters sends me another rent on, get one free card soon or this is gonna cost me a fortune

I was going to watch this at the cinema but they only had it on for a week. I think 'Just My Luck' came out and was regarded as a more important film...

:-/

Oddly enough my flatmate bought me a copy for christmas (our taste in films is eerily similar but it's great for borrowing DVDs!) so I finally got the chance to see it. It's a really impressive looking movie but the details of the storyline were a little underused - the characterisation and plot seemed to merely link together the fighting setpeices. The combat scenes are outstanding though, and Li proves that he can rely on his acting ability rather than fighting skills.

I'm looking forward to his next film, in which he'd no doubt be playing a 'straight' role in which he's a 'normal' actor instead of what is basically the most highly-skilled stuntman in cinema!

i intended to get Unleashed as well, a movie i have been wanting to see since i saw it previewed ages ago. So i'll probably pick it up along with Fearless when i get the chance.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Check out Unleashed as well. I was very surprised by how good it turned out to be.

Already done so and I agree with you. Its my favourite American film with Jet Li, easily. One of the unsung Hollywood films of 2005 as far as I'm concerned. :)

Hovis! said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Check out Unleashed as well. I was very surprised by how good it turned out to be.

Already done so and I agree with you. Its my favourite American film with Jet Li, easily. One of the unsung Hollywood films of 2005 as far as I'm concerned. :)

Plus Unleashed has Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman which is a brilliant supporting cast

McIcy said:
Hovis! said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

Plus Unleashed has Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman which is a brilliant supporting cast
Plus it's not even an American film. It was filmed in the good old UK.

McIcy said:
Plus Unleashed has Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman which is a brilliant supporting cast.

Agreed. :)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Plus it's not even an American film. It was filmed in the good old UK.

Sorry to have too break this to you but just because it was filmed in the UK (Scotland, Glasgow I believe for a lot of the film) doesn't actually stop it from being an American made and funded / produced film from a big Hollywood studio.

A lot of people believe because there are a lot of fims that, for example, are filmed in Britain with a cast of nothing but British actors, people believe it is a UK film. That's the problem though. Technically it isn't because a lot of films are funded by America and often through the large film distributing groups.

So even though Unleashed (aka Danny The Dog) was filmed largely in the UK, rest assured it is an American film. You just got to look at the some of the more wholesome content of the film to see that it is full of idealist American values. :)

Good film none-the-less mind you.

Back