Jet Li's Fearless

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I thought it was funded by the french?

Well, unless it was funded by the UK film industry (what UK film industry?!) then for the sake of argument it can be described as a joint American-French collaboration. But one thing it certainly isn't is British. :)

Is there anywhere that says it was funded by any American company because as far as I can tell apart from those attatched to Morgan Freeman very few of the cast or crew were American. As far as I know this was a UK/French collab and not US/French. If there was any American contributions then they must have played a very small part because they are nowhere to be seen.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
As far as I know this was a UK/French collab and not US/French.

Or that's what you hope. :wink:

I'm 101% certain though this film wouldn't have been made without some involvement with the US and some Hollywood backer.

Regardless, don't let that stop it from being a good film. :wink:

Hovis! said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
As far as I know this was a UK/French collab and not US/French.

Or that's what you hope. :wink:
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't but to me there isn't much to do with the movie that suggest that American companies had much involvement in it apart from Morgan Freeman(the girl who played his daughter is irish).

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't but to me there isn't much to do with the movie that suggest that American companies had much involvement in it apart from Morgan Freeman(the girl who played his daughter is irish).

Well, perhaps you're right. In fact, I hope you're right about it being a UK / French collaboration because it would mean the United Kingdom is actually doing stuff in regards to films at the moment.

But I'll do some invesitgation into it in the not to distant future (if I can be bothered anyway). Still, even if it is / was a French / UK 'venture I bet my eyelashes that the French gave it most of the financial backing (France has a strong film industry by all accounts I might add).

In fact, Kiss Of The Dragon (a fairly decent Jet Li film - for his Western standards - I might add) would therefore be a French funded film as well, right? :)

Well i'm yet to see Kiss of the Dragon and know nothing about it(I like to look into movies as little as possible before actually seeing them). From what i've been told it was a largely french funded film though. I'm looking forward to seeing it despite getting a few negetive reviews from friends of mine. Then again these are the same people that said Drunken Master II didn't really have that much action.

On a side note I've avoided The One and Cradle 2 the Grave. Should I look into them or are they as bad as I expect?

WTFDaveMustaine said:
On a side note I've avoided The One and Cradle 2 the Grave. Should I look into them or are they as bad as I expect?

I haven't seen Cradle To The Grave so I can't really give an accurate opinion.

I've seen The One though and, personally, I loathed it. I'm sure it'll have its fans. But as I said, I didn't like it. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't.

Kiss Of The Dragon on the other hand is hardly original but its a good ride while it lasts, so I recommend you see that (its not as good as Unleashed in my opinion, but it isn't that far off). :)

The UK does have a film industry, thank you very much, but the problem with it is that its output very rarely gets shown in America, and that's where the big film industry is. Second only to Bollywood, as I recall. For example, I understand that Children of Men is out in cinemas in the US now; we had that three months ago.

That's not to say that all British films are seen by us first, though. I just came back from a British film - Miss Potter, starring Renee Zellweger - it was funded by the UK arts council and the BBC, and yet was only released this week, whereas it 's been out in the USA since December. I think Zellweger might have had something to do with this, though...

And to go back to the topic: I found Unleashed to be a better film than Fearless, but only because Fearless (despite the pseudo-biopic element to it) is pretty much formulaic Jet Li action. Unleashed throws him into an unfamiliar setting; less Asian wire-fu, more Glasweigan gangsters.

CNash said:
The UK does have a film industry, thank you very much...

I could dispute this if I wanted too but I won't because arguing on an internet forum is fundametally boring and unproductive with no apparent objective (one of the main reasons I try and avoid such diversions when online). All I will say on the matter is that I disagree with CNash here thanks very much (though who or what I'm thanking I don't know). That doesn't mean the UK film industry can't become quite prominent again in the future mind...

Back on-topic before that transgression, but I still haven't seen Fearless, though I've decided to buy a copy when I'm paid at the end of the month.

Oh, and what do people consider to be Jet Li's "best" film they've seen (regardless of its origin)?

Mine personally would be Fist Of Legend. I think that's a great martial arts flick. :)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Shame it's only ever been released over here dubbed on DVD. -_-

Indeed. I'm still hoping maybe Contender - using their Hong Kong Legends distribution label - may, one day, get the license and release a decent edition of the film (complete with Cantonese language and English subtitles).

That'd be nice.

It would be lovely but from the looks of it when Dimension get their greasy, filthy, rotten hands on licences they keep them no matter what. Miramax are just as bad. I'm sure HK Legends are itching to get their hands of some of the titles they have. Like Drunken Master II for example.

Back