Sony purchase Sky EPG slot

Project-2501 said:
And.... it looks like it will remain Film24. They are still not launching animax.

It won't as Film 24 is due to shut down, Sony are letting Canis take control until SPT launch their unknown channel in 2011. A likely guess is that it will either AXN or something.

I'll put money on it being a non-anime channel. Sony said years ago they wanted to have animax on VoD in the UK and its not happened. AXN will bring in more money than animax and its been shown that anime on TV in the UK doesn't pay.

Project-2501 said:
I'll put money on it being a non-anime channel. Sony said years ago they wanted to have animax on VoD in the UK and its not happened. AXN will bring in more money than animax and its been shown that anime on TV in the UK doesn't pay.

It's not unknown for SPT to put Animax on AXN, it has done as a block as it has done in several countries. SPT also own the rights to Boondocks, Home Movies and the studio that's produced Robot Chicken and Moral Orel for Adult Swim.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Sony owns both the AXN and Animax, ones an entertainment channel the other, anime. Sony did announce at one point they would start an animax channel in the UK but nothings happened of it.

That was 4 years ago.

Animax shows a lot of old series, shows LOTS of repeats and shows new eps daily (if not several per day). So ticks all the same boxes that made people whine about Anime Central. They do show some new stuff too.

http://www.animaxtv.de/shows/all

http://www.animaxtv.de/videos/541333089001

Bahahaha!!! German dubs rule :)

J_C_X said:
Project-2501 said:

It's not unknown for SPT to put Animax on AXN, it has done as a block as it has done in several countries. SPT also own the rights to Boondocks, Home Movies and the studio that's produced Robot Chicken and Moral Orel for Adult Swim.
The Boondocks is owned by Sony, but Home Movies is Soup2Nuts

I doubt it's an anime channel, more likely it's another movie channel =/

Here's a good DS thread about new channels, btw
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... ?t=1390073

Speaking on Adult Swim and New channels...
I have emailed Turner Media Innovations and they aren't replying. The last time I emailed them and they didn't reply was about the CN rebrand, which happened a couple of days after.
...so I'm taking it as a 'Yes, but legally we can't say'

Stuart-says-yes said:
Shiroi Hane said:
The only whining I did about Anime Central is that I didn't get a chance to flipping watch it.

You didn't? How not?

I liked Anime central, its made me what I am today.
The first time I'd here of anime until I seen AC was of a bleach game in a games magazines. The only thing I really bothered to watch was bleach as it was close to the start of series 1 though.
It wasn't on cable. Though IIRC, this was during the time Virgin Media had lost Sky1 because it was before Ofcom told them to stop selling their channels for ridiculous amounts

And you didn't watch Toonami back in the good days of CN? :p

ilmaestro said:
Stu was about two years old back then.
Whaaaat? Stu's like 15 or 16, same age as me right? He would have been 6-8
You gotta remember Toonami on CN, it was all the rage back then :lol:

But, I got an idea for this new channel. It's called AXN, and it's like CNX. (The European AXN even has The Sheild to boot :lol:)
So, during the day, it's like comedy shows that aren't on Comedy Central. During the early evening, Animax block, all the anime [as] doesn't want. During the night, live action.... action.

Mock up schedule...
----------AXN Comedy----------
7.00am Third Rock from the Sun
7.30am Third Rock from the Sun
8.00am Seinfeld
8.30am Seinfeld
9.00am Cheers
9.30am Cheers
10.00am Married...with Children
10.30am Married...with Children
11.00am Arrested Development
11.30am Arrested Development
12.00pm Third Rock from the Sun
12.30pm Third Rock from the Sun
1.00pm Seinfeld
1.30pm Seinfeld
2.00pm Cheers
2.30pm Cheers
3.00pm Married...with Children
3.30pm Married...with Children
4.00pm Arrested Development
4.30pm Arrested Development
----------ANIMAX----------
5.00pm Naruto Shippuden
5.30pm Dragon Ball Kai
6.00pm Outlaw Star
6.30pm Outlaw Star
7.00pm Gundam Wing
7.30pm Gundam Wing
----------AXN Primetime----------
8.00pm TBA
8.30pm TBA
9.00pm TBA
9.30pm TBA
10.00pm TBA
10.30pm The Colbert Report
11.00pm Conan
----------ANIMAX Midnight Run----------
12.00am Naruto Shippuden UNCUT
12.30am Dragon Ball Kai UNCUT
1.00am Outlaw Star UNCUT
1.30am Outlaw Star UNCUT
2.00am Gundam Wing UNCUT
2.30am Gundam Wing UNCUT

If I have the right idea, their schedule will be MUCH better than mine. Probably never work if they tried mixing Comedy Central with AnimeCentral, but uh, this would be the outcome

AXN Comedy line-up is pretty lame. "3rd Rock" takes up enough hours on SyFy's schedule. "Married..." has aired enough over here. "Seinfeld" could do better than its occasional 5am Channel One slot, so I'll leave that for now. Both "Seinfeld" and "Cheers" can share an early morning hour, one episode of each. I'll make "Arrested Development" share some time with "30 Rock". "Undeclared" can air for about a week. I'd put "Parks and Recreation" into its Primetime. With "Community" or something. Probably "Game of Thrones" (though Atlantic wouldn't allow that for ****). "Party Down" never aired over here, so that's a good one. I have no idea if you were going for drama or comedy in its PT slot.

It's hard because its not just Comedy Central, E4 also eliminates a couple of the shows it needs. A more suitable line-up, imo, would be the have some Trek, some Gate, '70s Battlestar, The X-Files, Fringe, LOST, Terminator: TSCC etc etc. There's bound to be more general crossover in fandoms this way. Maybe some animation, as well Classic The Simpsons, for instance.

And, late-night talk show-wise, Craig Ferguson is the best. It's irritating to have Colbert and Jon Stewart on different channels, so put them together if needed. Conan can do whatever. I'd rather Fallon. If needed at all, I don't think the chatshows are a great fit.

"Naruto" / "Kai" is good. To be more recent, "Brotherhood", "Geass", "Death Note" and "Darker than BLACK" should air instead of a couple of shows that aired here almost 10 years ago.

Hmm... lol.

Jayme said:
AXN Comedy line-up is pretty lame. "3rd Rock" takes up enough hours on SyFy's schedule. "Married..." has aired enough over here. "Seinfeld" could do better than its occasional 5am Channel One slot, so I'll leave that for now. Both "Seinfeld" and "Cheers" can share an early morning hour, one episode of each. I'll make "Arrested Development" share some time with "30 Rock". "Undeclared" can air for about a week. I'd put "Parks and Recreation" into its Primetime. With "Community" or something. Probably "Game of Thrones" (though Atlantic wouldn't allow that for ****). "Party Down" never aired over here, so that's a good one. I have no idea if you were going for drama or comedy in its PT slot.

It's hard because its not just Comedy Central, E4 also eliminates a couple of the shows it needs. A more suitable line-up, imo, would be the have some Trek, some Gate, '70s Battlestar, The X-Files, Fringe, LOST, Terminator: TSCC etc etc. There's bound to be more general crossover in fandoms this way. Maybe some animation, as well Classic The Simpsons, for instance.

And, late-night talk show-wise, Craig Ferguson is the best. It's irritating to have Colbert and Jon Stewart on different channels, so put them together if needed. Conan can do whatever. I'd rather Fallon. If needed at all, I don't think the chatshows are a great fit.

"Naruto" / "Kai" is good. To be more recent, "Brotherhood", "Geass", "Death Note" and "Darker than BLACK" should air instead of a couple of shows that aired here almost 10 years ago.

Hmm... lol.
Well, you get the idea, It's like a crossover between CNX, Comedy Central and FX.
It's definately not gonna be a 24 hour anime channel. It doesn't work over here or in america, but if anything, I would like to see this.

Also, I was trying to be as realistic as possible with the schedule. If [as] does launch a channel in the UK, they will wanna fill the schedule with popular Shonens, ie Bleach and FMA, while ANIMAX would be a good fit for the niche shows such as Darker than Black and Durarararararara!!!!!!111.

But, tbh, in the last 2 years, there has been next to no anime on TV in the UK, I really doubt there will be a sudden change in 2011. This will probably be another friggen movie channel =/

I'd hazzard a guess and say it will be AXN they are launching, however I wouldn't rule out some sort of Animax block with Boondocks flung in.

Back