What manga are you reading now?

Double post but whatever

Finished the last volume of New Game

Also added this series on to my re-read pile as its taken a few years to complete this series, but its been a really nice read. Two series in a row that gets a nice 9/10 score from me

I think tomorrow / over the weekend I will finish Pleasure and Corruption Only have two volumes left to read so should get around to it :)

Love me for who I am - Volume 1

Really good read so far

On a slightly different note (well, kinda), Hopefully Japan changes their laws on same sex marriage soon, I still don't get how it took until 2014 for the UK to allow same sex marriage, or why its not done in Japan

Love me for who I am - Volume 1

Really good read so far

On a slightly different note (well, kinda), Hopefully Japan changes their laws on same sex marriage soon, I still don't get how it took until 2014 for the UK to allow same sex marriage, or why its not done in Japan
I wasnt planning to complete this today but I couldnt stop reading. Almost missed eating lunch at work as well 😅

Apparently, I haven't posted here in... forever... so time to get back into the habit.

A Condition Called Love volume 5 - Trying to stay ahead of the anime as I feel the adaptation just isn't doing justice to it. As the series goes on I like Hananoi a lot more, feels like the relationship he has with Hotaru is less problematic than it seemed at the beginning.

The Invincible Summoner Who Crawled Up from Level 1 volume 1 (LN) - I confess I went into this thinking I'd dump it after Volume 1, expecting it to be complete edgelord rubbish (the manga, which J-Novel licensed first, gave that impression). But in truth it's not as bad as I expected, particularly now some more characters have been introduced, so I'll stick with it. It does look like it might have been axed at volume 3 though, so who knows if it'll be rewarding in the end...

A Side Character's Love Story volume 18 - Still going along more or less the same as before. Not afraid to tackle difficult subjects, particularly right now as the two main characters have been in a long distance relationship for awhile now. Still comes out fairly infrequently as we're more or less caught up with Japan, sadly.

Oblivion Battery volume 3 (JP) - Not really trying to stay ahead of the anime here as I've been enjoying that plenty, but reading it alongside is proving an interesting experience. Seems like the anime might have rearranged a few things here as #3 introduces a new character into the mix (seen on the anime poster), but the anime has been busy with Kei which I think was the better idea all told.

You Like Me, Not My Daughter?! volume 6 (LN) - Afterword confirmed that vol 7 is the end of the series, which I think feels about right for it. Despite the silly name author Kota Nozomi has once again written a sweet and sensitive age-gap romance that I've enjoyed from the start. Hope it goes out on a high!

Finding Avalon: The Quest of a Chaosbringer volume 3 (LN) - A fairly by the books reincarnated into a video game set-up, but I find myself charmed enough by the cast to keep up with it. Sometimes you just need something that scratches that itch.

My Androgynous Boyfriend volume 4 - Despite being finished in Japan for awhile now, Seven Seas finally put out another volume of this. Nice to spend time with the characters again, not too sure how it plans to wrap it all up in vol 5 but I'm hoping it'll be satisfying after the incredibly long wait.

Agents of the Four Seasons volume 1 (LN) - Reviewing this one so won't say much here, but man it's an incredibly emotional read (which you would expect coming from Kana Akatsuki of Violet Evergarden fame) and I'm glad I have Vol 2 already since the ending is a cliffhanger.

Infinite Dendrogram volume 12 - Still a satisfying adaptation of the LN series with some excellent artwork for the final chapter of this release.

The Eternal Fool's Words of Wisdom: A Pawsitively Fantastic Adventure volume 1 - A story about a mage who has been blessed with eternal youth after drinking a potion he made a couple thousand years ago (his doggy companion Pochi also drank it so has similarly remained alive and young). When we meet them both Pochi is sick of his master staying cooped up inside and demands they go out for some fresh air, which leads to the MC meeting all kinds of people. There's nothing particularly original here, but I don't dislike it either.

I Cannot Reach You Official Comic Anthology (JP, complete) - Although this probably will get an English release since I Cannot Reach You seems to do well for Yen Press, I noticed it was only a couple hundred Yen in a recent Bookwalker sale so picked it up. Some entertaining stories here that capture the cast and their relationships well. Although it all seems to be set during the later volumes of the series, I think I preferred how the characters were portrayed here since Yamato wasn't as pushy or overbearing as I sometimes find him to be now.

I'm a Noble on the Brink of Ruin, So I Might as Well Try Mastering Magic! volume 1 - Already reading the LN for this, might switch to manga only as the art is good and I'm not terribly convinced I'd be missing out on much.

The Brilliant Healer's New Life in the Shadows volume 3 (LN) - In many ways, this is very similar to Banished from the Hero's Party, but less incestuous. A fun read to pass the time with and a novel enough idea (a healer whose probably the best in the country but having to run a back-alley clinic due to a lack of license) that I find it interesting enough to keep on with.

Convenience Store Woman (novel) - Seeing as I'd never read any of Sayaka Murata's work before I felt it was time to change that and also take a break from light novels for a bit. It's an interesting read, although I never felt compelled by it and instead read it in small chunks of 10-15 pages a go. I wish the ending had been slightly different I would have liked to see Keiko become a manager or something at a convenience store, but that didn't really impact my feelings on it too much. I'm not sure it clicked with me the way it has other people, but I'm glad I read it and will read Murata's other books in time. :)

Tista volume 1 - One of the Spy x Family author's earlier series. I think perhaps there is a bit too much going on and it won't all be resolved satisfyingly by the end, but since it's in the Jump app I don't particularly mind if it does end up going that way. If you like Spy x Family you'll certainly enjoy this, although it is darker (there's even human experimentation as a theme), it still has a lot of the familiar quirks.

A Condition Called Love volumes 6-7 - Caught up with the print releases now, at least for a couple weeks. Still enjoy this more than the anime as it better frames the relationship the two main characters have.

A Couple of Cuckoos volume 13 - Still going strong with the harem hijinks. I have quite a few volumes of this to read atm, so probably going to be the next one I power through in my downtime.

Reviewing in the future:
Fifteen Minutes Before We Really Date volume 2
Hi, I'm a Witch, and My Crush Wants Me to Make a Love Potion volume 3
Unnamed Memory volume 4

I was not intentionally going for the 2, 3, 4 effect. 🙈

@Demelza: That's really helpful to know as I confess I've been struggling with the anime - it sounds as if I'd be better off reading the manga! :)

Yeah even as someone who likes this a lot, the anime is just not doing it for me. I think you might remember back when I reviewed Vol 1 of the manga for us and was concerned about some of Hananoi's actions. I feel the manga very quickly started framing it as some of this isn't okay and rather than justify it, it went on to sympathetically explain why he feels and acts the way he does as well as reassuring the reader that it's something to be worked on and not okay (helped by inner thoughts from him and Hotaru that the anime has been cutting down or out completely). The artwork is still really good as well, which is again something I don't feel the anime has done justice. So in short I am definitely recommending the manga to people over the anime, sadly. 😅

A real shame after last season A Sign of Affection's anime was so good and treated so much better!

Back