What manga are you reading now?

@RadFemHedonist : I'm so glad your copy arrived safely and that you love the book; it's long been a favourite in our family and it seems a perfect marriage of author and illustrator! šŸ˜Œ (And good, I think, to have discovered a 1971 edition - I think my sister must have ours as I can only find the paperback.)

2 more Yuri first volumes:

Kiss the Scars of the Girls vol 1
Sucks to be you.
Yuri about vampires at school. Most of the girls are pretty tropey and the mystery of the dark past of the dark loner one was a) easy to guess and b) revealed too quickly. The peppy one does come off as too enthusiastic at times too. But the art is very nice and there's only 2 volumes left, so might as well finish.

How Do I Turn My Best Friend into My Girlfriend? vol 1
Realisation.
This is the new, in English, one I mentioned from the mangaka that made Monologue Woven for You. Minami and Yuzu have been BFFs since elementary school, but when Yuzu gets confessed to by a boy Minami feels extremely jealous and realises her feelings for her friend is deeper than before.
The setting is in high school, so feels less mature than Monologue and definitely going for more of a comedy than drama, because of course Minami doesn't come out with her feelings straight away and Yuzu is completely oblivious (or is pretending to be as there's plenty of panels where she does or says something very romantic) leading to situations that gets Minami's heart to go ba-dump and do stupid stuff.
The art seems a little different too, but is still nice.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 154-155

Hajimete no Gal ch 179

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 102.3

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 87

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 305

Monster Musume ch 85

Tales of Wedding Ring's ch 82

Tsugumomo ch 165

I'm In Love With the Villainess LN Volume 1 Unabridged Audiobook - I really enjoyed this and am partway through Volume 2 atm, lovely queer love story :)

Welcome Back, Alice Volume 6 - I flipped through this and am dropping it due to certain things that happened late in the volume that triggered the everloving **** out of me. (Please note that the content under the spoiler tag also talks about my mental health issues relating to it, before deciding whether to read it or not) Genital mutilation is my biggest trigger, and while I get that there's a trans context to the content and I am emphatically not a TERF, I want to state that as a feminist I find all these weird sex-negative puritan ideas about cutting off genitals for enlightenment, the no-fap movement's worrying popularity, and hating cis men (or anyone) who actually like and feel comfortable with their bodies really really ****** up beyond belief. I've been lambasted by some (I emphasise not all) other feminists for trying to empathise with men, but all I can think when I see smth like what's in Volume 6 is they are me and I am them, I've spent most of my life feeling like my clitoris is shameful and dirty and it really saddens me to know other people feel that way too, regardless of what their gender is and what genitals they have... for all that it really upset me I feel for Shuzo Oshimi, who is probably not a very happy person.

Last edited:
When a Cat Faces West vol 1
This was on my wishlist because it's by the author of Mushishi and then it went on sale (still on till the 23rd) with the first vol only being $0.99!
It's pretty much Mushishi, but set in modern times where Ginko Hirota, a 'Flow' dispersal expert, solves supernatural problems by finding out people who unconsciously caused them with their psychological problems like indecisiveness or messy nature. 'Flow' being the term used when the natural order of things gets disturbed.
Unlike Ginko who got temporary sidekicks along the way Hirota has Chima, a girl who's had a run in with Flow which is currently unresolved, and Shacho, a cat, who is particularly sensitive to Flow.
The problem with it is that half the time Hirota didn't actually solve anything, but just turns up and says "oh, it'll sort itself out in x number of days" and whilst the art is very nice again, it's set in the modern day, so doesn't seem as magical as the scenery we got in Mushishi. I guess the Japanese public decided it wasn't as good either as it only got to 3 volumes. As they're on sale I might as well finish, just to see if Chima's predicament is solved.

The Wizard of Oz Unabridged Hardback with Illustrations by Graham Rawle - Delightful story with wildly inventive collaged images, I hadn't read TWOO before and this was a great way to discover it :)

Unico Full Colour Manga Omnibus (Paperback, DMP) - Such lovely stories, cute and colourful (the colouring style in this manga is phenomenal, looks like something out of a classic by Disney) yet tinged with wistful sadness and loneliness. Unico is a wonderful protagonist, I might even be convinced to try the Unico anime films again (I loved the Black Cloud and White Feather pilot film but was not a fan of the first feature length outing tbh) :)

Last edited:
Tropic of the Sea - An enjoyable ecological parable with a pleasing touch of the unsettling and surreal, perhaps not quite as good as Kon's best films but def worth reading, and the artwork is reminiscent of the vintage style of series such as Akira and Banana Fish, which for me added to the appeal :)
Tales of the Kingdom Volume 4 - Still a beautiful, tragic story, really interested to see what happens next and the Yen Press hardcovers are gorgeous books :)
Orange (-to you, dear one-) Volume 7 - A lovely final volume, though I agree that it's sad that the author Ichigo Takano has left some of her other works unfinished for reasons arguably related to making more Orange. I won't pretend I wouldn't read a volume 8 of Orange if there was one as I love the characters so much, but would be just as happy to see some of Takano's unfinished works continued and properly concluded :)

Last edited:
When a Cat Faces West vol 3
4 chapters of new stories of varying enjoyment and 2 of a wrap up story which introduced a twist which untwisted itself and, sort of, explained Chima's predicament without actually solving it!
Overall nice art and some good stories, but definitely not as good as Mushishi.
7/10

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 156

Hajimete no Gal ch 180

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 306 - 307

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 83

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 116

The Princess Knight is a Classmate! ch 61 - 64

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 105

Tsugumomo ch 166

Not sure when I last posted

Read recently:

One Piece Volumes 18 - 23