The General Conversation Area

Really tempted to buy the FMA Brotherhood complete collection from sainsburys but with this month being the cross over period of phone contracts plus my car need taxing at the end of the month, i'm not entirely sure if i can afford it right now.

I'll have to wait and see how my cashflow goes during the next few weeks, if i'm lucky they wont raise the price lol

@Ayase - That's no reason to put a stigmata on pensioners or the elderly, who (as you have already pointed out is a "maybe") have served the country at a time when we were in deep water with recovering from wars. In the 1st place, it doesn't matter what levels of expenditure the cabinet has put on each section of the budget, as a tipping point or as part of my argument. I still want my £60+ to either help myself or to go towards services like garbage pick up and (proper) road maintenance. My dad didn't join the RAF just to be constantly fighting for how much he should get as a pension, or to have to pay consequences from people -> government borrowing over the decades (for one reason or another). He is getting frail, like all elderly people, and he should enjoy his time left on this planet and it's our role as the next generation to make our own world on their foundation and to say "Thank you very much, sir/madam."
If it's only £3bn into the benefits and a lot more for pensions (due to our elderly population %), then there may have been a case to rejiggle the costs. But the FACT that there is money for the unemployed to do something with is a nice little package to be supported with. Some of which in other countries don't get, but in this one ride the wave and just let us make a splash for them. And whose fault is that? Whoever had all the money, and decided to spend and give bonuses to themselves/friends and waste money on the "more prestigious" luxuries (dining/art/services, whatever) when they could of settled.

Your notes may have argued the government "should" of thought about how much is needed in certain sectors of the budget, but NOT over the topic argument of the employment situation, the attitude towards our benefits and work, and how unhappy people are with their situation - Unemployed not getting a chance, or the employed not getting any further than the bottom rung.

@Teo - Dont apologise for being harsh - Offensive (which I dont think you were) yes, but that's more for if you called them names or abused them verbally (I.e. racially or just calling them a d*** or ugly). If you're stating an opinion and you have facts/experiences to go by, then you're just saying it as you see or know of. Stick to your guns.
However, I see fate a bit more of a cold mistress rather than the super-human ability that people can get what they want if they fight for it. Think of the civilisations in wars that have been wiped out because they thought it was right, and it was their lives that depended on the win. They died. I'm not saying that attitude is wrong - not I support it. But you are smart enough to realise that when a weak man hits a brick wall, the man's gonna come out worse, and when a job is there and just out of reach for one reason or another, you just don't get the carrot at the end of the stick. Not reason why you cant just keep snapping the stick's length down until you can reach it though.
As you said, political correctness is a sham. Ballz to it.

@vash - But it does happen. In both sides of that, you have ones who are suffering and ones who get away. Which is better? From their standing point and for others. You think about that and somewhere someone's gonna win or lose. Hence why I say I'm lucky to even have a job, as remedial as it is. But until you get rid of the idea that "money rules the world" from 65million in the UK, most of 200 billion in the world, or everyone that still have a coin to their name - the country will not help those people out of anything but pity (rather than community strength) and they will suffer more, or we'll have people getting away with their sweat and tears. Tell me you care more about others than yourself, and I'll tell it to your face - "You're a damn liar!" It could change in years, but in this current age, forget about it.

You dont want to climb a pole, then dig a hole if you like your feet on the ground. Work wasn't made for comfort, it was there to do something in your life to help yourself and others. If you dont want the jobs available, then that's not everyone elses' fault who'd do it without even thinking about their comfort zones. And if you miss that opportunity, then sit on your hands and close close your mouth. No one will want to listen to your complaints in that circumstance and all you'll be doing is p***ing people off. (Though I doubt you would go into people's faces and be that childish.)
I work with someone who has down syndrome, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him. He works, he tells you what's on his mind and he's getting the benefits from labour. I dont know what assistance (if any) he gets outside work, but he is a hard working lad, happy and is helpful and friendly. I'd rather give him a job than some cocky brat that can sweet-talk themselves into any job and take what's easy. But on the flip side, at least that cocky git has gone for work, ego aside. If they act out of line, they'll get their just deserts.

Oh and one last message for everyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIHuF8WvdFk
dont_tread_on_me.png

There was an article in the Metro a couple of weeks back about a woman with I think, it was 11 kids. She was having a 6 bedroom mansion built for her by the council and to quote her, if it wasn't exactly what she wanted/how she liked it "well they'll just have to change it, won't they". It's people like this I dislike immensely and that's when my opinion over hating that I'm working to pay for scum like this comes out. That woman should of been steralised. It's ridiculous that you can pop out some kids and live better than those without. So many people have suggested time and time again to no longer give out money for benefits. Hand out food stamps so the bums out there aren't getting drunk and drugged off their benefits and are actually buying food for their children. It's beyond me why the government haven't changed this yet.

Then again, we can't just blame those on benefits for living off our wages, immigrants get to live to high life even more so than those who were born and raised here. I saw a similar story last year about an immigrant family provided with a 4 bedroom house. To reiterate, not against immigrants as I applaud those trying to make a better life for themselves, it's out government stance and I believe until we've sorted it for us already here, to maybe rethink the cap on it.

To give my two cents over those moaning about not having a job, I'm afraid I have to agree it's all ego. If you're not willing to do a job because it's not to your taste of beneath you then basically, stop moaning. Not criticising the being unemployed part here, I'm criticising the moaning part. After all, we're the only thing that gets in our way so lets stop blaming others shall we. I've been in the same job for 7 years now (and I'm 25 next month). Before I changed departments, it effected my depression to no end yet I stayed, why? Because it's realistically important to have a job if you have financial responsibitlities which for me, is my mortgage. You just have to stiff upper lip it.

So it's fine for individuals and the popular press to complain about people on benefits (and... am I reading this right, want to sterilise them against their will) because a tiny percentage of the tax they pay is going to them, but it's not okay for the people on benefits to complain? None of their concerns about the economic situation are legitimate and they should just shut up and put up with it? There's no denying some people take more than their fair share out of the collective pot, but these people are a tiny minority who the media choose to turn a spotlight on because it suits their purposes of demonising ALL people who claim benefits. The people who own and operate the media are powerful people - Powerful people want to hang on to their power, and the best way for them to do that is to set the people who don't have the power against each other and take the attention away from them. Let's not forget the MPs expenses scandal, when politicians were spending tax money on not food and shelter (which on JSA, as Josh pointed out, is pretty much all you can afford) but on sodding houses for their ducks, renting second homes, first class travel and paying their relatives to do non-existent jobs. Let's not forget the bank bailouts, which gave massive amounts of tax money to private companies to keep them afloat, companies which even now continue to pay out huge bonuses to their employees even though their business is deep in debt to you, me, and everyone else in the country. And meanwhile our government lobbies for them to be allowed to keep on doing this.

Chaz said:
Your notes may have argued the government "should" of thought about how much is needed in certain sectors of the budget, but NOT over the topic argument of the employment situation, the attitude towards our benefits and work, and how unhappy people are with their situation - Unemployed not getting a chance, or the employed not getting any further than the bottom rung.
I'm kinda confused about your stance now Chaz. If I read you right, you don't like the idea of people getting benefits but you think there should be more opportunity for them to gain employment and climb the ladder? If so I quite agree - I'd love to live in a society where there were plenty of employment opportunities for everyone and no-one was unemployed, but that doesn't seem to be our society. Remember this is a government which closed a load of Remploy factories which gave disabled people an opportunity to work because it was cheaper to just put them on benefits. Do we want the government to do what's cheapest so some people's taxes can be lower, or what's best for ALL the people who they are supposed to be serving? For me it's the second, every time.

teonzo said:
After writing this clarification and after reading your answer, I dare to say my opinion on your (Vash and Ayase) situation. To me it seems that you still haven't found your talents, aka the jobs you are good at and you really WANT to do. I'm convinced that everyone has his fitted job out there, the job for which he is talented and at the same time he enjoys doing it. And I'm convinced that when someone knows what his fitted job is, then he just needs to put all his passion and efforts and soon he'll be employed. Sometimes it takes time and a lot of inner search to find what you really want to do in your life, but this struggle must be done if you want to live happily.
Maybe my personal experience is far from the statistical average (totally possible), but all people I met who knew what they really wanted to do in their life had succeeded finding their fitted jobs. Sometimes easier, sometimes facing troubles, but good will and hard work led them to find what they wanted. It's just a matter of strong passion and strong will.
I think you're probably right Teo, at least in my case anyway. Oddly enough, after my rejection from this latest job I was thinking about this exact thing and went and did several questionnaires to find what jobs my strengths and personality is suited for. I keep getting things like Journalist, Politician (somewhat amusingly), Architect, Engineer, Graphic Designer etc. (thinking, planning and talking jobs, basically) but I wouldn't know where to begin... I don't know how on earth I would afford to go to University now but I'll give these ideas some serious consideration.

My Mum appealed to my father to see if he would continue my £150 a month allowance, as our agreement said it would stop when I entered work, due to the sheer cost of travel etc.

His reply? He's keeping it...but cutting it by £100 >>.

Having said this and continuing being direct and harsh, I don't see why someone who isn't lazy could find offensive my prevous post. I was addressing my harshness to some precise kind of behaviour. If you are not part of it (as you wrote), then honestly I just can't see why my words had touched you. I apologize if you got offended by what I wrote, I hope now things are more clear.

I wasn't offended, it just slightly irked me as I don't think advice of this sort of kind
If you really had real life troubles (aka or you get money or you don't eat) then you would not be here writing in a forum, you would be dishwashing, cleaning streets or whatever would allow you to pay for food.
is as helpful as you probably think it is, in fact, I think it can be quite unhelpful. I say this because as I've said before, I've been in a position where I received such "advice" and it would just make me feel like ****, quite the opposite of motivated. I have a cousin who just loves to give a similar kind of advice, and he genuinely thinks he is being helpful and being a sort of "realist". Unfortunately he is neither of those things. I just ended up trying my upmost to avoid him at every opportunity, because I just couldn't put up with usual barrage of "dude, your STILL living at home?! Your STILL haven't found a job?! **** that's depressing. Dude, your not getting out there and pounding those streets are you? You better get there and find something, what about wiping some arses or something? Or else your gonna be watching movies on TV with your parents every Friday night for the rest of life! **** dude."

While I don't think your phrasing is quite as bad as my cousin's is, I do think there is definitely a similar tone. It's easy to call all unemployed people in their 20's some derogatory phrase like "mama's boys", and there's an equivalent phrase in every country in the world for this demographic ( the "thresholder" phenomeanon, which has largely been born out of changing societal expectations and norms. ayase mentions some of these changes in a previous post), but again, it's not really fair or helpful. Sure there are no doubt some lazy ones who just can't be arsed to go a look for a job, but if you don't actually know an individual and the specifics of their situation I don't think it's fair to make the assumption they are lazy moaners. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it certainly seemed as if you viewed all young unemployed people in this light, without really considering some of the difficulties. And surely from responses you've now read, you must realise that it is not always so straight forward and easy to find a job you can live off of, at least in the UK.

I totally agree with the last part of your post, once one knows what it is that they are passionate about and really want to do with their lives, it just requires the drive, effort and struggle (some goals so more than others) in order to make it a reality. But even the pursuit of this can throw up some dilemmas, as in some situations, earning a wage in the meantime that you (and whoever else you are responsible for) can live off, can take much of one's time away from working towards what they really want to do. I actually have a friend who left her pretty decent paying job working for some big fashion website, in order to try and start up her own fashion brand. Since she was spending all her time on her long term goal, she signed onto job seekers allowance, and was allowed to receive payments for about a year without her actively looking for any immediate work, nor did she pretend to, she was was totally honest about what she was doing with her job centre adviser. What do people think of this, was she being a scrounger?

@vash - But it does happen. In both sides of that, you have ones who are suffering and ones who get away. Which is better? From their standing point and for others. You think about that and somewhere someone's gonna win or lose. Hence why I say I'm lucky to even have a job, as remedial as it is. But until you get rid of the idea that "money rules the world" from 65million in the UK, most of 200 billion in the world, or everyone that still have a coin to their name - the country will not help those people out of anything but pity (rather than community strength) and they will suffer more, or we'll have people getting away with their sweat and tears. Tell me you care more about others than yourself, and I'll tell it to your face - "You're a damn liar!" It could change in years, but in this current age, forget about it.

Sorry Chaz, you have honestly lost me with this paragraph.

Work wasn't made for comfort, it was there to do something in your life to help yourself and others. If you dont want the jobs available, then that's not everyone elses' fault who'd do it without even thinking about their comfort zones. And if you miss that opportunity, then sit on your hands and close close your mouth. No one will want to listen to your complaints in that circumstance and all you'll be doing is p***ing people off

Wha.... I was saying in response to the "get any fu*king job" line, that there are certain jobs which certain people simply cannot do, and so it's reasonable for those people to sign on to JSA until they can find a job they can do. That's all.

Vash, for the 1st part you quoted, you referred me to Ayase's post with the article posted. The Sun indeed is a bit excessive in it's gossip-based gimmick. But it still proves that there are people taking advantage of the services available, while we do nothing but assist. And the article on here emphasises the desperate state some people are in with unemployment.
The standpoint suggestion was asking you if you were either the one's suffering or the one's taking advantage, how would you feel about your own situation or the other's situation? Would the desperate one hate the cheater? Would the scammer laugh at the needy? Will any of them get the skills/experience needed to get a job later in life if something were to happen?
And later on, I talked about money and society - Not many people will do a charitable cause to help people get back into work, especially if they know it's going to cost them dearly. Why are charities successful? Because they raise awareness of something and you will feel sorry for their cause. You tip them your change and then you leave. But you're not going to give them you bank card and details to empty your vault, just because you're "nice." You give that little bit out of pity, and then you try to forget about it until they come back to remind you. So, are you going to knock on the door of an unemployed family home, give them a big smile and tell them you're going to support them through life? And if money was no issue, would you still try to help a stranger find work?

The next part, I already explained how someone that may have been doubted by many to get a job (especially when dealing with numbers and different attitudes of the public) has excelled in getting a job, and it's not the worst job in the world. Paralympics show that a lost limb or disabilities don't necessarily mean you're out of the games. And if that person is struggling in one environment, they should seek help from management, and keep looking for any other jobs that may come available that are better suited. If you are letting your CV go blank, you will not be acknowledged later on. If you have a job, you can survive with determination, and you may find something better along the way. But if you just throw your hands up and say "this ain't for me," then what do you have? You work at anything you can get your hands on UNTIL you find that special thing. It's not right to expect it the other way around, as you may not achieve it anyway, and you're end up STILL with nothing. No pension. No experience. No home.
I think that it's more of a "wont do" rather than a "cant do" at times. That's probably the worst part if anyone decided the job's not worthy of them, when it should be are they worthy enough for the job.

Ayase - TBH, it'll be easier to say that I'd laugh if I got to see the House of Parliament burn while the pigs roast inside. I know it's our society - I'm not a fool who thinks just because I want it like something else, doesn't mean it'll become to pass. Only through action from a group effort and conscientious will a true revolution be attained, and lets face it - We're a soft and pale excuse to what we could of been. Even though it's a stressful time, we have it easier than some and expect things will be alright in the end if our many and mostly incompatible ideal clash against each other. We come home from work and what's most common ideal way to spend our free time? TV, drinking, eating and sitting around waiting for something to come to us. If we could unite and think to change, I doubt that many of use would be motivated enough or strong enough to carry through to the end. Especially when we're gutless enough to think "Oh! someone will get hurt!" You damn right people will get hurt, and then the spineless ones just crawl back to where they came from, back to misery.

So yeah, it would be nice for everyone to find work as a synch. It would be a dream if we all could help do our part together. And it would be a "God send" if we didn't worry about what it will cost us, and think of doing things just to be better. But it's not today. It's not real. It's not what humans truly crave for. We just want to be comfortable in our own bubble and pull the covers over all our issues. Sleep tight, and maybe those people will choke on their quilt.

Chaz said:
later on, I talked about money and society - Not many people will do a charitable cause to help people get back into work, especially if they know it's going to cost them dearly. Why are charities successful? Because they raise awareness of something and you will feel sorry for their cause. You tip them your change and then you leave. But you're not going to give them you bank card and details to empty your vault, just because you're "nice." You give that little bit out of pity, and then you try to forget about it until they come back to remind you.
Those are fairly major assumptions there Chaz. Now I'm a fairly cynical person, but I don't think pity is the only reason people choose to help those less fortunate than themselves or that they would all stop if we didn't force them to contribute through the tax system. There have been great philanthropists even long before the welfare state and as many surveys have shown, poorer people are actually more likely to donate to charity than people on higher incomes - Quite possibly because they've either lived through tough circumstances or known those who have. I only have to think of my Granny, who lives off her pension in a tiny house in a run down area but is one of the most generous people I know and is always willing to help people less fortunate, contrasted to a former acquaintance of my dad who earned a six figure salary, drove around in a brand new Merc and still whined about "dole scroungers" and the amount of tax he had to pay.

Personally, when I can afford to give to charity it's not out of pity at all, in fact I very much dislike charity campaigns that play the "guilt" card. I want to see the difference the charity is making, the tangible results they are getting, not pictures of sad starving children to try and guilt me into giving. I give because I like to see other people's suffering end (ie. "That's great, you guys really made a difference to these people's lives, I'd like to contribute to that") not because I can't stand seeing them suffer (ie. "Stop showing me these horrible things, okay, I'll give you some money to go away!") That's not pity, that's having empathy for your fellow human beings.

Chaz said:
I know it's our society ... it would be nice for everyone to find work as a synch. It would be a dream if we all could help do our part together. And it would be a "God send" if we didn't worry about what it will cost us, and think of doing things just to be better. But it's not today. It's not real. It's not what humans truly crave for. We just want to be comfortable in our own bubble and pull the covers over all our issues. Sleep tight, and maybe those people will choke on their quilt.
Well, it's not what all humans want. And it's certainly being discouraged by a society that places so much emphasis on greed and selfishness. But it wasn't always like this, and it doesn't have to be like this in the future. To believe we can't change anything because "people are just like this" is to deny that we can have any effect on what people are like. We can.

In 1945, a Labour government was elected and created the welfare state, because that was what people wanted. In 1979, a Conservative government was elected that did it's best to dismantle as much of that as it could, because that was what people wanted. So that's quite a change in people's ideals in 35 years. That didn't just happen naturally, someone changed their minds. Today, both parties are virtually identical, yes - But to believe that a new political order won't arise to challenge this is, I think, to ignore history. We most certainly can contribute to change - We don't have to resort to simply hoping.

ayase said:
Those are fairly major assumptions there Chaz. Now I'm a fairly cynical person, but I don't think pity is the only reason people choose to help those less fortunate than themselves or that they would all stop if we didn't force them to contribute through the tax system. There have been great philanthropists even long before the welfare state and as many surveys have shown, poorer people are actually more likely to donate to charity than people on higher incomes - Quite possibly because they've either lived through tough circumstances or known those who have. I only have to think of my Granny, who lives off her pension in a tiny house in a run down area but is one of the most generous people I know and is always willing to help people less fortunate, contrasted to a former acquaintance of my dad who earned a six figure salary, drove around in a brand new Merc and still whined about "dole scroungers" and the amount of tax he had to pay.
Yeah, sound's like that guy's a right blue blooded prat. So what is our options here? Shall we Robin Hood these types who are obviously greedy, but have done absolutely nothing wrong? Fixing a vice like feeding his ego isn't a bad thing - It's just frowned on by us. Do some of the wealthiest get an extra tax for having luxuries anyways, like mansions or earnings? I'm not accurate in my knowledge here.

Personally, when I can afford to give to charity it's not out of pity at all, in fact I very much dislike charity campaigns that play the "guilt" card. I want to see the difference the charity is making, the tangible results they are getting, not pictures of sad starving children to try and guilt me into giving. I give because I like to see other people's suffering end (ie. "That's great, you guys really made a difference to these people's lives, I'd like to contribute to that") not because I can't stand seeing them suffer (ie. "Stop showing me these horrible things, okay, I'll give you some money to go away!") That's not pity, that's having empathy for your fellow human beings.
If you have empathy for those in similar or worse conditions than you, I'm not saying your wrong in that being another reason to give. - but is that a struggling or dying breed of people? Lately, our constituency has gone conservative and they'd been labour for a long time. So why the change? Because people wanted to survive after all the warnings the Cabinet gave out about our deficit. People were too busy looking after themselves rather than helping others, and that's not a bad thing - but does it kill the spirit of that empathy which the small few (in my mind it is) that are left? Are we going to think "I'm better keeping this for myself for a rainy day or to treat myself," rather than "I need to help them"?

Well, it's not what all humans want. And it's certainly being discouraged by a society that places so much emphasis on greed and selfishness. But it wasn't always like this, and it doesn't have to be like this in the future. To believe we can't change anything because "people are just like this" is to deny that we can have any effect on what people are like. We can.

In 1945, a Labour government was elected and created the welfare state, because that was what people wanted. In 1979, a Conservative government was elected that did it's best to dismantle as much of that as it could, because that was what people wanted. So that's quite a change in people's ideals in 35 years. That didn't just happen naturally, someone changed their minds. Today, both parties are virtually identical, yes - But to believe that a new political order won't arise to challenge this is, I think, to ignore history. We most certainly can contribute to change - We don't have to resort to simply hoping.
Then tell me about the ones in the riots, when we thought it was about struggling individuals, when we actually found out it was started by a killing - one that was considered racially induced by white policemen. And then let me know what people were doing in the streets looting from shops and burning down buildings. And then try to convince me that even 10% of those people were GENUINELY thinking about either the killings or the struggles. To them, it was a joy-ride on retailer's stock and an excuse to have a blast - literally. And what was the conclusion of those "renegades?" The police cracking down on them hard.

Yeah, you do need a head so that the rest of the body follows from its lead. So where are all the pitchforks, because the strikes from unions are damaging us, and getting less back. And if we were to have a leader, do we want those types in the riots helping us? Seriously? People who don't want change, but just clings to the head to see how hard this snake bites?
We don't HAVE a leader that can raise a certain type of people. We don't even have the right body to help support it (not necessarily violently either.) And you also picked a cherry here, when you said the Conservatives ballzed up - Not all change will benefit us, as the riots proved. These are current times, and we may have a future of change. Or we can wallow until it's too late. Only time will tell.
(Yeah, I can be cynical. I can also be optimistic. But if you want my help and loyalty, people better have a good reason for it, or I walk and continue being a jack a**. I certainly do not like betrayal and I've been burnt enough already.)

I've come to the conclusion that I can't sleep that well on planes.

And in an attempt to try and reset my body-clock I'm holding out until 11 before heading to sleep.

(I think I slightly over-ordered on money, I've got $420 left, oops)

------------

As for the job market, the number of people I've seen leaving the company I work for (soft-services for military bases) quoting they will be better off on JSA is probably the highest reason given for quitting (after the classic reason by young-people that the work is "too hard")

I'm going on Vacation tomorrow and I won't be back until the end of the month. Before I go, is there anyone here willing to PM me on the things I'm going to miss when I come back?

ayase said:
I think you're probably right Teo, at least in my case anyway. Oddly enough, after my rejection from this latest job I was thinking about this exact thing and went and did several questionnaires to find what jobs my strengths and personality is suited for. I keep getting things like Journalist, Politician (somewhat amusingly), Architect, Engineer, Graphic Designer etc. (thinking, planning and talking jobs, basically) but I wouldn't know where to begin... I don't know how on earth I would afford to go to University now but I'll give these ideas some serious consideration.

As far as my experience goes those questionnaires are quite unreliable.
You can't know you like short-haired girls after compiling a questionnaire. You know that because when you see one you get ********.
Same goes for what you want to do in your life, with your life and for your life. There's no questionnaire that can tell what your real passion/passions is/are. Because no people outside you can know that and questionnaires are made by other people. You just need (easy to write, hard to do) to dig into yourself and find what really thrills you, what would lead you to feel satisfied.
At least you realized this and have the honesty to admit it, it's a good beginning.

Teo

Max Takeshi said:
Well, this place certainly took a turn for the political.
Yep. But it help me plonk some luggage I've been holding onto off somewhere. Never to see again, hopefully. :p

I dont mind it either way, I'll go with the plane experiences.
I'm actually afraid of heights, but not flying (as a passenger). Generally, If I'm looking down off the edge of something tall (and as far as I'm aware, insecure), I close in so I feel like my central gravity stays in one small area - cuz in my head, I'll think "I wont go over if I'm leaning over, so I'll be a rock rather than a blade of grass." So when I'm on the plane and I shut the window panel, or stay on the isle seats, I dont really see how high I am until I'm so high, it looks more scenic rather a distance to earth.

And I agree with Teo. They're meant to be guides, but they just look at what you put and think that logic can dictate where you might be best off. And we all know how logic works out when it comes to personality.
Hell, I'd be on top of the world if I even had someone scout me for wrestling classes/promos, but apparently, I wasn't the best showman in my GCSE Drama classes. Never pursued it further, and went towards other things (which I felt more realistic or down to earth.) But my tests came out as a public servant or engineers or teachers... and I know I dont want to misguide our next generation, and I dont go further than minimal maintained with my car, cuz I know next to nothing about them. So go figure. lol

vashdaman said:
I say this because as I've said before, I've been in a position where I received such "advice" and it would just make me feel like ****, quite the opposite of motivated.

Let me be blunt and harsh as my usual (hoping what I write in English is exactly what I think).
You have a roof over your head. You can allow yourself to eat fine and healthy food (meaning really low risks of poisonings, infections and so on). You have the choice to stop working in a place that you hate and is "destroying" you. You even have superfluous commodities (internet is totally superfluous). You have all these eases not because you personally gained them (you are relatively young and your work history is short) but because you found them in the environment you were born in.
The majority of human beings actually living on this planet don't have these luxuries. The VAST majority of human beings that lived on this planet simply dreamed of these luxuries.
So if someone makes you realize that you are lucky to be in a situation where you can say "no" to something you hate, while most people are forced to say "yes" to supercrappy job or (even worse) they would like to be forced into a supercrappy job, then you feel like sh**. Nice attitude.

Teo

teonzo said:
So if someone makes you realize that you are lucky to be in a situation where you can say "no" to something you hate, while most people are forced to say "yes" to supercrappy job or (even worse) they would like to be forced into a supercrappy job, then you feel like sh**. Nice attitude.

But what makes you think that I needed reminding of my good fortune? I've always been grateful for my blessings, and I've always recognised my privileges, it doesn't mean I've always been happy with everything in my life, but I try my best not take anything for granted. I don't need a forceful reminding. And anyway, the kind of language that people like the cousin I gave in my example (and to a certain extent you) use is certainly not going to make me feel any better or more grateful, your not saying "Things could be a lot worse, so don't feel down, you still have warm house and hot food, things'll work out if you keep trying", instead your saying "Don't tell me how hard it is, you have all these luxuries yet you still don't have a job! How have you not got one yet? mamas boy". Maybe the latter line works for some people, and genuinely gets them motivated, but I suspect it would just make the vast majority of people feel even more useless than they already do (unemployed people do tend to feel useless already). I'd suspect that your quite similar to my cousin, in that you think saying that sort of thing is being cruel to be kind , cutting through the ******** and giving people the blunt and hard "truth" they need. But from my experience, I can tell you that's the opposite of what some people need.

Back