Please help me to name this (potential) anime theme tune

Mr_Nice_Username

Completely Average High School Student
I made a reddit post in the hope that someone might recognise this melody
As the title says: "It took me about 40 attempts to make even this terrible approximation of an anime song that I'm trying to remember. I'm so deeply sorry to anyone who can actually play an instrument. Anyway, I'm 99% sure it's from an anime. Does anyone recognise it?"

Thought I'd cross-post it to here in case anyone here can help to identify it.

I've been trying to find it for over five years, after first hearing it almost 25 years ago. Please give it a listen, and let me know if you're able to help me solve the mystery!

I love this kind of mystery! Do you recall whether the singer sounded young or old? Would the other songs on the mixtape yield any clues as to the sender's taste?

R

I love this kind of mystery! Do you recall whether the singer sounded young or old? Would the other songs on the mixtape yield any clues as to the sender's taste?

R
Haha it's a fun mystery, and a maddening one! I've spent so many hours listening to random 90s anime theme tune playlists in the hope that it might come up.

Sadly I don't have the mixtape any more - I don't have many of the possessions from my teens and early 20s, thanks to various acts of stupidity in the name of living a minimal life.

Age of the singer: Hmmm.... very difficult to say. If I had to guess, I'd say he was in his 30s. But I'm not willing to discount the singer being in his 20s, 40, 50, or 60s. Super helpful, right?

(lol edited because I replied to the wrong thread, and also missed one of your questions)

Not sure what the song is, but I did stumble across these great picks while looking for flute based anime themes.

I ADORE that Read or Die song! Haha I found it myself while searching for anime songs with a flute. Always a pleasure to listen to it again. Thank you for sharing it!

Lol it would be just my luck if it wasn't a flute after all, and instead was some other wind instrument. One problem is that the flute only plays for about ten seconds here and there - at the start of the song, after the first chorus, and so on. Whereas searches for anime flute songs tend to only bring up songs that are primarily flute based.

It’s not the theme from Gestalt, is it?
I'd not heard of that. Do you mean the song at the end of this?

If so, then sadly not. That song has the flute all the way through it, whereas the song I'm trying to find just has a flute for about 10 seconds. It's the same melody repeated a few times through the song, in between male vocals. (Or at least, I think it's a flute. There's certainly a chance that I'm wrong.)

Thank you for the idea though!

Back