Mawaru Penguindrum BD [from Upcoming UK anime DVD artwork!]

ConanThe3rd

Railgun
Mangaranga said:
VoxPhantom said:
So it isn't a complete collection after all... Flippin' brilliant. Had a feeling that price was too good to be true.
Probably a holdback with the dub. Usually the US distributor has a 3 month exclusivity period, and Sentai's part 2 only comes out later this month.
Kaze releasing a complete collection in early May seemed too good to be true.

I'm still confused as to why it's listed as a complete series collection though, it's not like there's even more than one series.
Oh wait, that means we're geting thier Dub-title script too arn't we?

Welp, that's me not buying this.

Re: Upcoming UK anime DVD artwork!

Rui said:
I don't recall it being dubtitled?

R
Zac had a big todo on the ANN cast about it being dub-titled and the dub itself being completely off script (It being a Stephen Foster Screwjob) in service of it being packaged off to international channels like Animax and such. I can't find the episode right now but he was royally pissed off about it.

Um, please do find the reference on Penguindrum being dubtitled. I didn't notice any problems with it, and I wasn't watching it alone. There were no obvious signs like untranslated lines or translations of lines which weren't spoken. All Google turned up just now were a few opinion posts about how some of the lines were translated, but an unpopular translation choice doesn't necessarily mean dubtitles.

FWIW the dialogue parsed very naturally and seemed fine. It was funny in all of the right places, and not funny in a "nothing like the JP script" way.

Regarding the PQ, I'm watching it on my TV setup which is much more forgiving than my computer, but you can definitely see combing effects when there's a lot of movement on screen. It's only a few seconds per episode where it's noticeable, and it still looks better than DVD, but it's criminal for such a brilliant show to have had anything less than a beautiful transfer :/

I'm still pleased I bought it since I wanted to see the show. It's just such a shame.

R

ConanThe3rd said:
Rui said:
I don't recall it being dubtitled?

R
Zac had a big todo on the ANN cast about it being dub-titled and the dub itself being completely off script (It being a Stephen Foster Screwjob) in service of it being packaged off to international channels like Animax and such. I can't find the episode right now but he was royally pissed off about it.
I remember reading the exact same thing, and also how the subs apparently have spelling mistakes and notes in the wrong places. Some people suggested it was Sentai staying true to the original script, but others stated that in certain scenes what was said in the dub, and what the subtitles said were completely different to the original Japanese script.
I've watched 5 or 6 episodes of Penguindrum, I liked the show but I hate Sentai's release, I'm still undecided if I'm going to get part 2 either since apparently the Picture Quality is even worse than the first.

Rosencrantz said:
[re: Mayo Chiki]
I just noticed it's 2 discs, while sentai did 3. On the basis noone wants to spend more money than they need to that would suggest Sentai went for 3 discs becuase the files were bigger and they needed 3? which would kinda imply the UK release on 2 DvD's might not be as good, though 6 per disc is the usual so I dunno?
Madman's is two discs, and we'll be getting their master.

Mangaranga said:
[Re: Penguindrum]
I'm still confused as to why it's listed as a complete series collection though, it's not like there's even more than one series.
Could have sworn I had this conversation but can't see it... the actual product says "Box 1". The "complete collection" appears to have been an error when submitting the title to Amazon etc.; Manga's Podcast actually went into the problem with errors on these pre-press dockets. Someone probably used an earlier release as a template and didn't change the title. Manga's Redakai: Conquer The Kairu part 2 is still erroneously listed on Amazon and Anime on Line as "Redakai Season: Conquer The Kairu" for example.

Mangaranga said:
I remember reading the exact same thing, and also how the subs apparently have spelling mistakes and notes in the wrong places. Some people suggested it was Sentai staying true to the original script, but others stated that in certain scenes what was said in the dub, and what the subtitles said were completely different to the original Japanese script.
I've watched 5 or 6 episodes of Penguindrum, I liked the show but I hate Sentai's release, I'm still undecided if I'm going to get part 2 either since apparently the Picture Quality is even worse than the first.

Hmm, I did notice a few typos (not unusual for US releases at all, but they were glaring enough to stand out). I thought that it was normal for dubs to more closely match the sub translation nowadays in terms of word choices, though, since they're not being deliberately reworked for television etc as much - there have been a few cases in the past where accusations of dubtitles have been levelled where it's actually just a more faithful dub script than usual (or more localised sub script, but that still doesn't necessarily mean 'wrong' if it makes the dialogue less stilted in translation...).

Can anyone cite any solid examples of these major changes? If nothing else I should be preparing to add it to the defective discs thread if the dubtitling rumour is true.

R

Haibane was the one that got me, back when I was watching fansubs and picking up bits of Japanese. The dub was very close to the subtitles, within an allowances for screen space and matching flaps etc; the thing that stood out was translating doushi as "Feather" in both. I was assured it was just that the dub script was very close to the sub script.

Rui said:
Mangaranga said:

Hmm, I did notice a few typos (not unusual for US releases at all, but they were glaring enough to stand out). I thought that it was normal for dubs to more closely match the sub translation nowadays in terms of word choices, though, since they're not being deliberately reworked for television etc as much - there have been a few cases in the past where accusations of dubtitles have been levelled where it's actually just a more faithful dub script than usual (or more localised sub script, but that still doesn't necessarily mean 'wrong' if it makes the dialogue less stilted in translation...).

Can anyone cite any solid examples of these major changes? If nothing else I should be preparing to add it to the defective discs thread if the dubtitling rumour is true.

R
Well, the one instance is where the main chracters are using thier penuins for undercover work and one of them finds a pair of underwear, in the dub one of the chracter utters "Hey, Panties for the win!", that line, I believe is what is used in the sub script (and also it had no equvilant in the JP version)

ConanThe3rd said:
Well, the one instance is where the main chracters are using thier penuins for undercover work and one of them finds a pair of underwear, in the dub one of the chracter utters "Hey, Panties for the win!", that line, I believe is what is used in the sub script (and also it had no equvilant in the JP version)
Checking out the scene that you are referencing, the original line is "トリプルレースか?勝負パンツだな。" A literal-ish translation would be something like "Triple lace, huh? Guess they must be her lucky pair.".

So not "no equivalent", and, although I don't personally like the way they translated the line, I don't think enough to say from that one line that they used dubtitles rather than making a dub script that was very close to the subtitles they had written for the JP track.

equote="Rui"]Regarding the PQ, I'm watching it on my TV setup which is much more forgiving than my computer, but you can definitely see combing effects when there's a lot of movement on screen. It's only a few seconds per episode where it's noticeable, and it still looks better than DVD, but it's criminal for such a brilliant show to have had anything less than a beautiful transfer :/[/quote]
It's a bit sickening, the show deserved better. However, briefly flicking through the first couple of episodes to find the scene Conan mentioned reminded me enough of how good the show was that I probably have to order it anyway. D:

That's a goofy translation choice, but less so than "Moe moe kyun!" in K-On! becoming "The power of cute compels you!" which I found rather grating but not deal-breaking. The beauty of the medium is being able to hear the original, at least.

I think I'm going to recheck it as well (along with the dub :() to make sure, since I do remember something like that but I also remember the sense of them being 'lucky pants' coming through fine from the dialogue (since IIRC it was also referenced in another scene in the same episode).

R

One question about Penguindrum. What's it like for onscreen caption translations coinciding with dialogue translations. How much will there be for Kaze to f*** up?

Just Passing Through said:
One question about Penguindrum. What's it like for onscreen caption translations coinciding with dialogue translations. How much will there be for Kaze to f*** up?
There's scenes where the camera zooms in slowly on an information board type thing where the text scrolls across on screen. The text is subbed underneath on Sentai's discs. That's not the only thing, as there are signs and the insert song which plays during the transformation sequence in many of the episodes, as well as the OP/ED. There may even be more, I can't remember to be honest. There's plenty for them to f*** up. Expect the usual Kaze QUALITY.

Well, it's definitely not dubtitled. So the people saying that are just jumping to conclusions and didn't bother checking at all.

Dub: Longevity tactic!
Subtitle: Survival tactic!

Dub: Just what do you mean by "Probably"?
Subtitle: What do you mean, "Probably"?

Dub: Should I make you something to eat?
Sub: Should I make you something?

Dub: Don't tell me...don't tell me this is the Penguindrum?
Sub: Don't tell me... That's the Penguindrum?

I had to watch entire minutes of the dub to spot-check for this :(

R

Re: Mawaru Penguindrum BD [from Upcoming UK anime DVD artwor

Excuse me for asking what may be a stupid question, but for what reason does this now have it's own thread?

I'm guessing because it went pretty far off topic from the subject of artwork.

Ayase is correct, I felt bad taking over the artwork discussions for what had become a disc content discussion.

R

ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Checking out the scene that you are referencing, the original line is "トリプルレースか?勝負パンツだな。" A literal-ish translation would be something like "Triple lace, huh? Guess they must be her lucky pair.".h/quote] /quote]l/quote]
It's not dissimilar to some of the stuff in Crunchyroll's Steins;Gate subs

Heh, that is... yes.

I guess in their defence, S;G does feature a heavy dose of Japanese net-speak.

Back