Hello from the Netherlands!

Herano

Completely Average High School Student
Hello there! I'm a 35 year old female from the Netherlands. Have been a long time lurker (mostly in the anime bargains section:p), but decided to join the fun today.
I'm an avid anime watcher and collector. Started with the dvds of Spirited away and Slayers and now I have quite a collection, which I love. Favorite anime include the series Mushishi, Fighting Spirit and Giant Robo and the movies Whisper of the Heart, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Princess Mononoke. I also love playing games, like Hollow knight, the Fromsoft titles and Stardew valley. Lately Ive been really into Roguelites and Bullet Heavens (Holocure is awesome!).
Nice to meet you! If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them:).

Hello! It's nice to see someone else who likes Slayers. I've just started rewatching it all, and it's just as good as I remember.

And Giant Robo too! I remember buying them on VHS back when they came out. I don't want to leave spoilers for folks who haven't seen it, but I remember it blowing my mind how the story could "treat its characters in that way". Fantastic show.

I've not heard of Mushishi, but it sounds really interesting. I'll add it to my to-do list :)

Hello! It's nice to see someone else who likes Slayers. I've just started rewatching it all, and it's just as good as I remember.

And Giant Robo too! I remember buying them on VHS back when they came out. I don't want to leave spoilers for folks who haven't seen it, but I remember it blowing my mind how the story could "treat its characters in that way". Fantastic show.

I've not heard of Mushishi, but it sounds really interesting. I'll add it to my to-do list :)
Yay, Slayers! Its just such a fun time, the old sereis at least! And I always impressed if a comedy series can pull off a succesfull serieus finale, a testament to its well developed characters:). What did you think of Evolution-R and Revolution?

I'm new to these forums - I clicked the "quote" button, but the quote isn't appearing. Lol computers are difficult!

I've not watched as far as Evolution-R, but I want to. I've seen Slayers, Slayers Next, an Slayers Try. I'll make it a mission to fully complete the entire anime. Does Evolution-R change the style of the show at all?

I'm new to these forums - I clicked the "quote" button, but the quote isn't appearing. Lol computers are difficult!

I've not watched as far as Evolution-R, but I want to. I've seen Slayers, Slayers Next, an Slayers Try. I'll make it a mission to fully complete the entire anime. Does Evolution-R change the style of the show at all?
Fun fun! I hope you will have a great time:). Have you tried the movies/ova's yet? Evolution-R a bit different looking, a bit more round and 'modern', but not too different. Personally I didn't like it that much, because for me, the characters felt a bit like a caricature of themselves, but I'm curious what your experience will be:).

Generally I find it works better to click the "reply" button on all the messages you want to quote and then delete parts of them as applicable if you only want to respond to part of the message :)

Welcome to the forum all you lovely new people! :) ❤️

Generally I find it works better to click the "reply" button on all the messages you want to quote and then delete parts of them as applicable if you only want to respond to part of the message :)

Welcome to the forum all you lovely new people! :) ❤️
Oooh haha I missed the "Insert Quote" button that appeared. I thought that clicking "Quote" would put the quote in the edit box.

This is a boring post. The main takeaway is that I'm a moron.

Also: nice to meet you :)

Fun fun! I hope you will have a great time:). Have you tried the movies/ova's yet? Evolution-R a bit different looking, a bit more round and 'modern', but not too different. Personally I didn't like it that much, because for me, the characters felt a bit like a caricature of themselves, but I'm curious what your experience will be:).
I must say that I was surprised to look at Wikipedia and see just how much more Slayers has been made since I originally watched it back in the day. I did wonder if they could maintain the quality!

Haha I have seen the movies, but I can't remember a single thing about them. Haha maybe there's a Ship of Theseus-style argument to say that this effectively means I haven't seen them! In any case, I'm really excited to see the new stuff in the series that I'm not familiar with. Oh my goodness there's so much stuff I'm looking forward to revisiting, and also watching new. I'm very happy that I got back into anime after a break away! :)

When I get round to Evolution-R, I'll report back. 🫡

Oooh haha I missed the "Insert Quote" button that appeared. I thought that clicking "Quote" would put the quote in the edit box.

This is a boring post. The main takeaway is that I'm a moron.

Also: nice to meet you :)

I'm sure you're not I made the same mistake when I first joined up (I still don't really know what the quote button actually does lol) :)

Likewise! I've got the Discotek SD-BD release of Bobobo so I'll post some sort of opinion regarding it on here when I've finished it :)

Hello there! I'm a 35 year old female from the Netherlands. Have been a long time lurker (mostly in the anime bargains section:p), but decided to join the fun today.
I'm an avid anime watcher and collector. Started with the dvds of Spirited away and Slayers and now I have quite a collection, which I love. Favorite anime include the series Mushishi, Fighting Spirit and Giant Robo and the movies Whisper of the Heart, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Princess Mononoke. I also love playing games, like Hollow knight, the Fromsoft titles and Stardew valley. Lately Ive been really into Roguelites and Bullet Heavens (Holocure is awesome!).
Nice to meet you! If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them:).

Welcome! I have played some Stardew Valley and I really liked it but was not skilled enough to keep my farm going cries in root vegetables 😭 🫠

I'm a woman the same age as you and Spirited Away was a major gateway drug for me into fandom! Went to see it at the cinema and was utterly blown away. Whisper of the Heart is def one of my fave Ghibli movies, I'm also a big Only Yesterday fan. Mushishi is something I haven't finished but it's def on my list of things to get around to, and I love Natsume's Book of Friends which has kind of a similar premise but with a gentler take. I keep meaning to watch Fighting Spirit, do you like any other sports anime? By Giant Robo do you mean the OVAs or is there another version of it? I have the OVAs on DVD and I've not got round to them yet either beyond the first couple of episodes... I promise I do actually finish shows lol my MAL can attest to that haha :) I also like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust but am one of those who prefers the 80s OVA cuz it's just got this wonderfully grimy murky feel to it and the old dub is a lot of fun too. Princess Mononoke is amazing! :)

Likewise! I've got the Discotek SD-BD release of Bobobo so I'll post some sort of opinion regarding it on here when I've finished it :)

Aah fantastic! I don't have a multi-region player, but I want one specifically for this set. Having said that, I've only ever seen the fansubs (which I love) and the dub (which I personally don't like, but then I'm a subs person in almost 100% of situations), so I can't speak for the subtitles on those disks.

Bobobo is a very acquired sense of humour, but I adore it. It's so wonderfully silly and creative. It's a very unique kind of absurdism, in the same way that comedy acts like The Mighty Boosh are unique, or Reeves and Mortimer are unique. It's intelligent stupidity. Omg I love it with all my heart. I hope you enjoy it too. Please do tell me if you ever watch it!

PS I just saw your comment about how you watch most of your anime dubbed nowadays. In my opinion this is one that's worth watching in subtitle, because you really do lose a lot of the creator's vision in the dub. But again, I have a bit of bias at play there. Try it both ways, see what you think.

I'm sure you're not I made the same mistake when I first joined up (I still don't really know what the quote button actually does lol) :)

Welcome! I have played some Stardew Valley and I really liked it but was not skilled enough to keep my farm going cries in root vegetables 😭 🫠

I'm a woman the same age as you and Spirited Away was a major gateway drug for me into fandom! Went to see it at the cinema and was utterly blown away. Whisper of the Heart is def one of my fave Ghibli movies, I'm also a big Only Yesterday fan. Mushishi is something I haven't finished but it's def on my list of things to get around to, and I love Natsume's Book of Friends which has kind of a similar premise but with a gentler take. I keep meaning to watch Fighting Spirit, do you like any other sports anime? By Giant Robo do you mean the OVAs or is there another version of it? I have the OVAs on DVD and I've not got round to them yet either beyond the first couple of episodes... I promise I do actually finish shows lol my MAL can attest to that haha :) I also like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust but am one of those who prefers the 80s OVA cuz it's just got this wonderfully grimy murky feel to it and the old dub is a lot of fun too. Princess Mononoke is amazing! :)
Whisper or the Heart is also my favourite Ghibli (Kiki is second but Only Yesterday and Poppy Hill are bangers too).

Hajime no Ippo is definitely worth your time. Makes me want to go skipping 🤣 it’s got great supporting characters and Ippo himself is a decent character too. If I had the time, I’d happily rewatch it right now.

Woh, I would have loved to have seen spirited away in the cinema! That must have been awesome:). Natsume's book of friends is also on my want to watch list! I have the first two seasons on dvd, but I'm kinda afraid that I like it so much, that I really want to watch the rest right away^^. So I hope to collect the rest of the (available) seasons sooner than later.
I never really though that I would like sport anime much, but after Ippo I've tried a few of them and they were lovely. The theme's of friendschap, wanting to develop yourself and rivalery really speak to me and anime succeeds in making every sport look interesting and dynamic.
Im talking about the Giant Robo OVA, yes:). And hey, I always felt that finishing things just for the sake of it is overrated:p. Anime is entertainment and I never want to force myself to finish a series if I'm not having fun with it on that moment.

Back