I've finally managed to read all the way to the end of Heaven's Feel. It's taken me three years to get through Fate/Stay Night (granted a huge portion of that time was me putting off reading the final route - in the end it only took me a couple of weeks to get through it once I put my mind to it.)
Anyway, if anyone's interested, here are my thoughts on all three routes:

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 1: Fate route

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 2: Unlimited Blade Works route

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 3: Heaven’s Feel route

I've already moved onto Hollow Ataraxia. I know almost nothing about it, it seems to have a very different vibe so far! I'm enjoying it though.

Yeah I just finished fsn as well with breaks for resi evil 4 and Zelda totk. I think I’m going to read Tsukihime next before the remake comes out next year then hollow ataraxia, then witch and the holy night.

Yeah I just finished fsn as well with breaks for resi evil 4 and Zelda totk. I think I’m going to read Tsukihime next before the remake comes out next year then hollow ataraxia, then witch and the holy night.
I was thinking about reading the original Tsukihime soon too! I tried to get the US PS4 limited edition of Witch on the Holy Night from PlayAsia but they failed me :(
I know that it’s at least available digitally in the UK, but I really wanted that proper physical edition. Then I recently found that Amazon had some copies available, and it should be arriving at the end of the week! I’m not sure whether to read Witch or Tsukihime first…

Tsukihime is great. I think I will have to read the fan patch for the Ciel route ahead of launch as I can't wait much longer lol.

@Doctorkev Your remarks around how Nasu repeats information sloggingly is on point and is part of the reason I say the anime adaptations are a great alternative. The Tsukihme remake is a great showcase for how Nasu's writing has improved since FSN imo and Witch on the Holy Night is a bit cleaner as well I think.

I've already moved onto Hollow Ataraxia. I know almost nothing about it, it seems to have a very different vibe so far! I'm enjoying it though.
Feel free to share your thoughts once you're done. Probably could trade our takes and opinions of it afterward, if you're up for it ofc.

The Tsukihme remake is a great showcase for how Nasu's writing has improved since FSN imo and Witch on the Holy Night is a bit cleaner as well I think

I can imagine that since I found the improvement between OG Tsukihime and FSN pretty big as well. Might have been the choices I made but I recall having to wade through large reoccurring chunks of texts in the different routes that at great length more or less explained the same thing over and over. FSN has that too, but never felt it was such a dent in my enjoyment of it as it was with Tsukihime.

On a related note, is the remake more cohesive and unified? I remember thinking Tsukihime felt more like an anthology-style VN than FSN, with recurring characters and world building but narratively separate parts. The first two routes felt like their own thing, same with the final two, with the third one feeling like the odd one out. I liked it in a way since it certainly gave each route its unique feeling and narratological point but it felt weird coming from FSN and Hollow Ataraxia

On a related note, is the remake more cohesive and unified? I remember thinking Tsukihime felt more like an anthology-style VN than FSN, with recurring characters and world building but narratively separate parts. The first two routes felt like their own thing, same with the final two, with the third one feeling like the odd one out. I liked it in a way since it certainly gave each route its unique feeling and narratological point but it felt weird coming from FSN and Hollow Ataraxia
I should play the Ciel route before I can give you a proper answer but the Arc route is leaps and bounds better imo. Though I also thought that the original Tsukihime was a pretty hard read all around. What I can tell you though is that there are only the two near side routes in this game. With the far side routes getting their whole other game later.

@Doctorkev Your remarks around how Nasu repeats information sloggingly is on point and is part of the reason I say the anime adaptations are a great alternative.
I like all the anime adaptations a lot (yes, I even liked the 2006 DEEN adaptation back when I watched it over a decade ago), but I was keen to go back to the source, mainly out of curiosity. Despite the rambliness of the text, I don't regret reading the VN. It helped to explain a few plot points that baffled me (especially the ending of Heaven's Feel movie 3).
I wish we could get official English versions of all the associated light novels like Fate/Zero, and Fate/Strange Fake. I really liked the most recent hour-long OVA and I can't wait for the full anime series.

Feel free to share your thoughts once you're done. Probably could trade our takes and opinions of it afterward, if you're up for it ofc.
I'll definitely do that. I'm almost 40% of the way through apparently, but realistically I'll only have time to read it at weekends. Depending on distractions, who knows how long it will take me to read the rest?

I like all the anime adaptations a lot (yes, I even liked the 2006 DEEN adaptation back when I watched it over a decade ago), but I was keen to go back to the source, mainly out of curiosity. Despite the rambliness of the text, I don't regret reading the VN. It helped to explain a few plot points that baffled me (especially the ending of Heaven's Feel movie 3).
I wish we could get official English versions of all the associated light novels like Fate/Zero, and Fate/Strange Fake. I really liked the most recent hour-long OVA and I can't wait for the full anime series.
I agree, Heaven's Feel is definitely the biggest route where having knowledge of the VN helps put things into perspective, and I am happy you enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy Hollow/Ataraxia, it is great.

I also like the DEEN adaptation of the Fate route. I genuinely think it can't be done better apart from how they changed Casters arc in the anime.

@Doctorkev Your remarks around how Nasu repeats information sloggingly is on point and is part of the reason I say the anime adaptations are a great alternative
Hooo boy, and I thought his writing was a bit rambling in the animes!! Good thing I started on those and not the VNs and more than ever now hoping the Fate series gets updated Western releases.
yes, I even liked the 2006 DEEN adaptation back when I watched it over a decade ago
I also like the DEEN adaptation of the Fate route.
I enjoyed this too, having watched fates Zero and UBW before it, and I guess the flack is more down to those who enjoy the animation in fate more than the story elements.

I've finally managed to read all the way to the end of Heaven's Feel. It's taken me three years to get through Fate/Stay Night (granted a huge portion of that time was me putting off reading the final route - in the end it only took me a couple of weeks to get through it once I put my mind to it.)
Anyway, if anyone's interested, here are my thoughts on all three routes:

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 1: Fate route

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 2: Unlimited Blade Works route

Doctorkev Does Fate/Stay Night: Part 3: Heaven’s Feel route

Ah man, I need to catch up on all your articles. I do enjoy them, especially the wit heheh, but am lagging behind, though these I'll probably read after I finally get a chance to play the fate games. Even bought muvluv in the recent summer sale purely off the back of your (relatively?) recent article but the thought of having a fair bit of uninspiring harem comedy to get through (and I already struggle with the pace of visual novels compared to normal literature) gives me pause whenever I'm picking what to play next.

Hooo boy, and I thought his writing was a bit rambling in the animes!! Good thing I started on those and not the VNs and more than ever now hoping the Fate series gets updated Western releases.
Well as I say, he became a better writer since then.

Witch on the Holy Night is a good example of how he has improved imo (and his writings in FGO too). But Nasu is his own worst critic even going so far as to say that people should read the manga adaptation for Tsukihime over his own original version. The Tsukihime remake was kind of born from that distaste for his own work, his goal was to prove he has improved and he apprently asked the mangaka to judge it before it was released, and happily he seems very proud of it at long last.

This was all discussed in one of his type-moon diaries iirc, I will try and find the source later.

Last edited:
Ah man, I need to catch up on all your articles. I do enjoy them, especially the wit heheh, but am lagging behind, though these I'll probably read after I finally get a chance to play the fate games. Even bought muvluv in the recent summer sale purely off the back of your (relatively?) recent article but the thought of having a fair bit of uninspiring harem comedy to get through (and I already struggle with the pace of visual novels compared to normal literature) gives me pause whenever I'm picking what to play next.
Thanks for reading! There's no hurry to catch up, I don't plan on taking them offline any time soon. Also my rate of new article production has slowed down a bit the last couple of months, it's hard to fit everything I want to do with my life into my free days when I'm not working!
Muv Luv was incredible, I don't regret reading it, but it takes such a long time to pay off the time invested in it. Its obscene length and verbosity are two big things it has in common with F/SN. Also much like F/SN there's a large quantity of sequels/spinoffs. I picked up two of the short story collections in the Steam summer sale - Photonflowers and Photonmelodies. Not sure when I'll get around to reading them, but I have a friend who reviews visual novels more often than I do, and he says they're great.

I agree, Heaven's Feel is definitely the biggest route where having knowledge of the VN helps put things into perspective, and I am happy you enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy Hollow/Ataraxia, it is great.

I also like the DEEN adaptation of the Fate route. I genuinely think it can't be done better apart from how they changed Casters arc in the anime.
I'm planning to try watching the 2006 DEEN anime with my wife, because I think she might like Fate if she can give it a chance. I downloaded a fan edit of the show that integrates the prologue from the UBW anime as its first episode and cuts the rest of it down to 19 episodes by removing all of the spoilery crap they jammed in there from the other routes.

I'm planning to try watching the 2006 DEEN anime with my wife, because I think she might like Fate if she can give it a chance. I downloaded a fan edit of the show that integrates the prologue from the UBW anime as its first episode and cuts the rest of it down to 19 episodes by removing all of the spoilery crap they jammed in there from the other routes.
That sounds ideal, I might try and find that fan edit myself sometime and give it a look. I want to ask what it's called but I know it's against the rules here. also I guess we can pretend Caster was killed off screen in that version lol.

But Nasu is his own worst critic even going so far as to say that people should read the manga adaptation for Tsukihime over his own original version. The Tsukihime remake was kind of born from that distaste for his own work, his goal was to prove he has improved and he apprently asked the mangaka to judge it before it was released, and happily he seems very proud of it at long last.
That is incredibly humble of him and clearly part of having that desire to constantly improve himself - I like the dude even more now and much respect!
Also my rate of new article production has slowed down a bit the last couple of months, it's hard to fit everything I want to do with my life into my free days when I'm not working!
Not as much as I my rate of playing these games, but I completely get you on life/free-time balance. I really struggle with visual novels as I feel like I want to hear all the hard work that has gone into the voice acting, but that really slows everything down and I inevitably doze off.
I downloaded a fan edit of the show that integrates the prologue from the UBW anime as its first episode and cuts the rest of it down to 19 episodes by removing all of the spoilery crap they jammed in there from the other routes.
I second that that sounds ideal for peeps wanting to get into fsn without spoiling the other routes.

Bit late posting but Type Moon magazine has published an official timeline

Fate_Works_Timeline_smol.jpg

Welp since I made this thread originally for that purpose... thread over I guess? lol (though it only covers the Fate stories).

I think it is time I start the Ciel route. I just can't hold on any longer (and after reading Witch on Holy Night, I will likely see Aoko and Touko in in a different light).

Back