CEX suck

HellCat

Death Scythe
So earlier this year I signed up at the local branch of CEX in order to easily sell off some DVDs, Blu-rays and games for extra cash. They mostly have good prices but good word is it an ordeal.

I've just visited there today, primarily to sell some old beez titles that have been replaced by better releases. The sheer drama they made out of that was ridiculous. Wouldn't take Gundam 00 discs because they no longer had the paper slip with the barcode, said split season complete collections were missing discs because they opened Part 2 first with the repackaged discs starting where set 1 left off, etc. From what I could see other customers were getting similar attitude.

I'm sure if you run a store like this you get people who try to cheat you. But don't treat everyone like that from the word go.

I've been into a good couple of dozen CEX stores and never had any problems beyond one time of someone trying to flog me off some completely unrelated stuff as "part of the same series" because it had a similar title.

CEX stores are a franchise and like most stores you have good & bad ones. You have the option of selling via their website if you local store are cockwombles. Personally I've never had an issue with the couple I've shopped & sold in.

HellCat said:
I've just visited there today, primarily to sell some old beez titles that have been replaced by better releases. The sheer drama they made out of that was ridiculous. Wouldn't take Gundam 00 discs because they no longer had the paper slip with the barcode, said split season complete collections were missing discs because they opened Part 2 first with the repackaged discs starting where set 1 left off, etc. From what I could see other customers were getting similar attitude.

I'm actually amazed that they even bothered to inspect what you were trying to sell on. I rarely buy anything in CEX, mostly because the quality of the goods I've had from there in the past has been far less than the asking price would suggest.

Sorry to hear you got a grilling though. One of my primary objections to CEX is that the staff so rarely seem to know anything about the product they sell.

HdE said:
One of my primary objections to CEX is that the staff so rarely seem to know anything about the product they sell.
I would imagine that an expertise of one's wares has no part in the time-honoured practice of "wheeling and/or dealing"...

I don't tend to sell at CEX, only buy. Stick your old shite on eBay with a starting price of whatever they would give you for it, and since that's usually about 16p you're pretty much guaranteed to end up better off and not have to stand in a queue for half an hour or interact with people.

I don't tend to sell at CEX, only buy. Stick your old shite on eBay with a starting price of whatever they would give you for it, and since that's usually about 16p you're pretty much guaranteed to end up better off and not have to stand in a queue for half an hour or interact with people.

I like the convenience of CeX. Not having to wait a week for someone to buy something off you, then having to package it up and walk all the way (well, my post office is a fair walk, anyway) to the post office.

Eh, in my experience people will buy things for just under what CEX sell them for if not more, often it is more because I take good care of things. As long as you remember to charge for postage you're still quids in. All I really sell is DVDs and games which are easy to stick in an old jiffy bag (because those never go in the bin and just pile up because I think I might use them later - I still have dozens of the things from the days play.com used to send every DVD separately from Jersey). To each their own I guess, but in my case I feel like it would probably be more cost effective to not travel to CEX and just burn my old DVDs for heat given the pitiful amount they pay would barely cover my petrol or train ticket.

But who called them "Jiffy Bags"? Usually, their involvement signifies the fact you will receive the goods in question a couple of business days after the transaction is settled. Hardly a precise or proverbial jiffy, I say.

I'd never use CeX to sell stuff at this point. I was getting rid of all my old xbox 360 games and priced them at both GAME and CeX, CeX offering more but still under £100, in the end I sold them on eBay and ended up making over £300 after fees and such (granted a few games alone were going for £15-£30). I'm pretty lucky in that the post office is just around the corner and there's one near work too though.

Selling on eBay is something I'm glad I started to do, I've made a surprising amount selling things that were just stuck in drawers (Old OG Gameboy games, sold old Pokemon games that have been in a drawer for many years at £28 each the other day) or in a cupboard (Gamecube games, PS2 Games etc) and it always surprises me how much some people will pay for some things.

Yes CeX are hit and miss depending on store. I've had ****** discs not checked and gonr through and some good discs checked then rejected. It's odd but as someone said it's a franchise store so expected I guess.

I cant speak for their stores but all the dvds/blu-Rays I've bought from their site in the last few months have all been in very good condition. I even bought a couple of the SAO2 LE sets from there and they arrived in almost mint condition.

I use Ziffit and they're generally fantastic - especially as you don't have to pay for postage. You just scan all your items on your phone, get a price for them, then put them all in one box and drop them off at a local store that does collections for them. Sure, the prices aren't always great, but it's the easiest way I've found to get rid of stuff in bulk - and out of books, DVDs and games, games by far and away get the highest prices from them.

I use Ziffit and they're generally fantastic - especially as you don't have to pay for postage. You just scan all your items on your phone, get a price for them, then put them all in one box and drop them off at a local store that does collections for them. Sure, the prices aren't always great, but it's the easiest way I've found to get rid of stuff in bulk - and out of books, DVDs and games, games by far and away get the highest prices from them.
I have their app downloaded on my phone but not used them yet as I wasn't sure. But after reading this I think I may just will use them now.

Welp. They told me I couldn't sell the S4 cuz the imei isn't printed on the back. I got the checkmend and everything but nope not interested. Bah.

Take it to Cash Converters if you have one near by. They're so unfussy when it comes to buying stuff in, it's not even funny. My Dad sold them a broken laptop but because it booted up, they still took it. I'd never buy electronics from them myself, but if you're trying to shift something in a not great condition, it's your best bet.

Back