BookWalker Changing Reward System / Charging in USD

Demelza

Adventuring Alchemist
AUKN Staff
Figured this was worth a discussion of its own as a few people use BookWalker. All the relevant information can be found in their notice here.

A quick summary is that the global store will be changing coins for points, but the Japanese store will remain using coins. Coins can still be used on the global side, but only through the 'instant purchase' button so can't be used with other discounts or as a partial discount. Seems like the purchase ranks are being split between stores as well, but there's no in-depth information on that.

Another important change is that instead of charging in Yen you'll now be charged in USD, which doesn't look like it'll be too bad against the pound currently but it may be an excuse for publishers to adjust prices (again), so might not stay that way.

Personally, as someone who buys from both the Global and Japanese side, I really don't like the reward system being separated. If nothing else I'll probably just buy a lot more titles in Japan as opposed to English, there's no real reason not to if (a the prices will rise and (b it's not giving me the same kind of benefit it was before.

There's no real competition either as BookWalker is far less strict than the other English platforms in what they stock (largely because of being Kadokawa-owned I suppose) and one of the only ones where you can have an English / Japanese library under the same account, which is important for me. :rolleyes:

Back