Live Action Anime/Manga DVD Recommendations

GolGotha

Death Scythe
Last year I bought the first live action Rurouni Kenshin movie and really enjoyed it!
Does anyone have any other recommendations? I thought I would trust your opinions over those left on Amazon and such...

Re: Live Action Anime DVD Recommendations

I don't know any hidden gems, only well known ones but I would recommend Yurusarezaru Mono if you've never seen it, it's basically a remake of the western Unforgiven but set in Japan during the Meiji era. I'll link the trailer should you wish to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRr-xV8WJo

And just in case you didn't know the 2nd Kenshin movie came out a week or 2 ago.

*Just realized you said live action anime...so disregard Yurusarezaru Mono (still a great movie though :p)

The Death Note live action films were great IMO. They go in a bit of a different direction and I preferred them in some ways to the anime series. Initial D was also a good live action flick.

For manga adaptations you have The Story of Ricky Oh & Ichi the Killer both are gore fests. Enjoyable but not stellar you also have City Hunter (Jackie Chan).

Hentai Kamen is a good laugh (Strangely translated to Forbidden Superhero in the uk)

Avoid the live action of Gantz that was utter trash and nothing like the manga or anime.

Those are off the top of my head.

serpantino said:
Enjoyable but not stellar you also have City Hunter (Jackie Chan).

Came here to post that. It's more of a Jackie Chan vehicle than a strict adaptation, but it's fun and it catches the tone of the source series fairly well.

I think the live-action Kaiji film was supposed to be decent too, but I haven't seen it personally.

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that I have purchased the second Rurouni Kenshin Movie as well as Black Butler (admittedly, I forgot to cancel the pre order) and Hentai Kamen, but sadly the guys don't want to watch them at our movie nights! And I believe I saw Ichi the Killer years ago, so that might be a good one to revisit!

Has anyone seen Mushishi or Space Battleship Yamato?

Space Battleship Yamato is all kinds of fun (better than the forthcoming Harlock movie IMO), Mushishi was a big disappointment due to miscasting the main character. If you don't mind manga adaptations skipping the anime stage, try Death Notice: Ikigami an excellent movie. You can also get the fun Dororo and Cutie Honey from MVM as well, and the Crows Zero movies all excellent anime and manga adaptations. Yatterman from Eureka is a technicolor explosion. Takashi Miike of course (he directs the Crows Zero movies too). My favourite such movie would be Kamikaze Girls from Third Window Films, and another manga adaptation from them which transcends the source is Himizu.

And I'm forgetting Battle Royale, Oldboy, Dasepo Naughty Girls

Another one I forgot was a manga adaptation.... Azumi. Great film (2nd was pretty good 2 but first was great.)

Edit and Crows Zero... dunno how I forgot that as they're 2 of my faves >_< I have so many frigging Asian Live Action movies I forget which have manga/anime sources. Edit 2: For those interested, Crows Zero Blu-ray (US) is region free, not seen that listed anywhere but I took a risk on it and it works on my unmodded uk player. Never found 2 on Blu-ray with English subs :(.

Thanks so much guys!

Will look into these later, excluding Battle Royale and Oldboy as I forgot I already have them - so it's not just you Serpantino, and let you know how they go down! :)

Edit: On a side note, I wish the live action movie of Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop had a western release or at least had English subtitles...

Back