How big's your DVD/VHS/Blu-ray etc. collection?

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
A simple question, I'd always thought of myself as having an above average-sized collection compared with most of my friends, but seeing some of the anime collections on here has revised that view :p So I was just wondering what the damage is :p

Currently mine stands at 196, aiming for a round 200 by year's end.

Of that 36 are anime.

I have absolutely no idea ;_;

Almost everything in my DVD collection is anime, with some movies and American shows mixed in. It's overwhelmingly anime, though. I mix blu-rays in with my DVDs on the shelves so I couldn't say how many of either I have (are you counting sets as one item or counting by disc?). I probably have 50-100 blu-ray items of some kind, and thousands of DVDs. Seriously, no idea.

I have no VHS tapes at all other than a few at my parents' house, I have steadfastly upgraded them all to DVD and no longer have a player.

My CD collection is also in the thousands; I can't even display it there's so much. It's mostly stacked up to the ceiling in a closet. I probably have significantly more CDs than DVDs. And then there's the manga collection.

I know exactly how many doujinshi I have though. 584 individual books, where anthologies only count as single books (because I couldn't be bothered to count each book inside).

R

I've got so many DVDs I've never been bothered to count. I'm also probably the last person in Teesside who still records stuff of the telly using VHS tapes. I don't have any Blu-Ray discs yet.

Too many to count.

Videos - Probably still got around 40 in a box (don't know if they still work - some I have upgraded to dvd).

DVDs - over a thousand as I have been collecting since 2000 although I didn't get many in the first year. Box sets where I got individual volumes I would count individually, where I got a complete box set I would count as 1 so Azumanga Daioh counts a 6 but Rumiko Takahashi Anthology counts as 1 as I got the box set.

Blu-ray - 50 to 100 Region A, 20 to 30 Region B (more live action in Region B than A)

I like how when most of us get to a certain point all attempts to judge collection size are abandoned :D

Since additional statistics are fun, all of my blu-rays are region A. A few are not region locked at all, but I don't have any region Bs. Most of my DVDs are nominally region 1, followed by region 2 (more Japanese than UK...) and I have a healthy minority of region 3 and 4 releases as well.

I put all of my doujinshi into a database a while ago because it's a lot harder to keep track of them than 'proper' products, and I do enjoy being able to generate statistics based on content and so on as a result. The database for all of my other stuff only exists in my brain. I know some people make lists of every single one of their DVDs too and they make for some fun analysis.

R

I sometimes blind buy. I for example did not how much fan service Kanokon had before I watched it (that's the defence I'm sticking with).

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Christ you guys have a lot lol. Are you guys blind buyers? I never blind buy, I always have to really like something to get it.

I wouldn't say I blind buy often - I check sites for reviews & opinions. If I am unsure (like with Dance in the Vampire Bund) I check an episode online (in the case of DitVB I watched 2 episodes as the 1st one doesn't give an indication of what the show is like). Also there are plenty of trailers both on dvds and online.

If you mean buying things you've never seen, I blind buy almost 100% of the time, with the exceptions being seeing something in the cinema or on a trip, or more recently streaming (though I don't stream much still, too many DVDs to watch).

I follow news quite closely though, it's not like I just randomly click the anime section on online shopping sites and then buy whatever fell into my cart ;D

R

mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Christ you guys have a lot lol. Are you guys blind buyers? I never blind buy, I always have to really like something to get it.

I wouldn't say I blind buy often - I check sites for reviews & opinions. If I am unsure (like with Dance in the Vampire Bund) I check an episode online (in the case of DitVB I watched 2 episodes as the 1st one doesn't give an indication of what the show is like). Also there are plenty of trailers both on dvds and online.

When I say blind buy I mean buy something you have not seen in its entireity, I don't assume that you just randomly grab something and buy it :p

No idea, if we are going on individual disc count then i'd say about 80% of my dvd collection is anime (the rest being american and russian with a few choice british films like shaun of the dead ect ect)

If i'm allowed to include digital downloaded films into the mix, that 80% anime drops to 40% as the majority of the film/series i own are digitally downloaded and have hundreds of Gb worth. wolverine for example has a digital download feature so i ususally buy discs to legally get the digital copy then sell them to CEX.

Sparrowsabre7 said:

When it comes to anime i've become more and more picky as the years have gone on, only buying series i know i want to watch and hardly everblind buy

I am pretty sure selling off movies and keeping them digitally is going against the spirit of them coming with digital copies ^^; it's the same as just ripping them yourself then selling them on.

Personally I don't consider illegal downloads in a collection since anyone with a broadband collection can amass an enormous haul with no cost in effort or time.

R

Sparrowsabre7 said:
mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

When I say blind buy I mean buy something you have not seen in its entireity, I don't assume that you just randomly grab something and buy it :p

I have several shows on preoder (Star Driver, Chaos Head etc) that I have not seen an episode of. I recently received Fairy Tail Part 1 - not seen an episode before (although I did seen some of Rave Master when it was shown on TV).

mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I have several shows on preoder (Star Driver, Chaos Head etc) that I have not seen an episode of. I recently received Fairy Tail Part 1 - not seen an episode before (although I did seen some of Rave Master when it was shown on TV).

That's definitely not something I could do. I only ever pre-order stuff that I've either seen in the cinema or I enjoyd the previous entry in the series.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
mangaman74 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

That's definitely not something I could do. I only ever pre-order stuff that I've either seen in the cinema or I enjoyd the previous entry in the series.

I guess it's a case of trusting my own judgement. I have been watching anime around 16 years now. Of the stuff I have brought there may been some shows I have rated average but I can't say there is much I have hated.

Part of the fun of receiving something new is watching it for the first time, for me :)

I don't go to the cinema much at all (the last film I saw in a cinema in this country was Wolverine) and I love anime broadly enough that it's rare a gamble doesn't pay off. I can count the number of anime shows I've actively disliked everything about on one hand. Perhaps part of it is that I don't have television.

It bothers me when I have seen something and don't have a copy in my archive.

R

Rui said:
I am pretty sure selling off movies and keeping them digitally is going against the spirit of them coming with digital copies ^^; it's the same as just ripping them yourself then selling them on.

Personally I don't consider illegal downloads in a collection since anyone with a broadband collection can amass an enormous haul with no cost in effort or time.

R

Hey i'm just trying to spread the love :p Once i've watched it once the likelyhood of watching it again is low for the first 6-12 months so why not sell it on and let someone else enjoy it? Atleast by downloading the digital copy that came with the film i'm not ripping it myself and infringing copywrite laws :) and should i want to watch it again i've still got a copy that i legally paid for.

Not going to lie, i did download 4 episodes of one piece years ago but that was because i missed those episodes and was too inpatient to wait for cartoon network to rerun it lol. they're gone now though.

Ian Wolf said:
I sometimes blind buy. I for example did not how much fan service Kanokon had before I watched it (that's the defence I'm sticking with).

Hahah, could be worse; at least it's not Queen's Blade ¬_¬

On the original subject, my physical collection is on the small side compared to most I'd guess; as I've only been into the hobby for a relatively short period compared to some. It is slowly growing though.

Give us a number axel! :p

Rui said:
Part of the fun of receiving something new is watching it for the first time, for me :)

I don't go to the cinema much at all (the last film I saw in a cinema in this country was Wolverine) and I love anime broadly enough that it's rare a gamble doesn't pay off. I can count the number of anime shows I've actively disliked everything about on one hand. Perhaps part of it is that I don't have television.

It bothers me when I have seen something and don't have a copy in my archive.

R

That's fair enough, everyone's different, but I must confess I actually just really like the thought of adding a dvd to my collection, physically slotting the case into my shelf (easy now...) but I couldn't do that unless I knew I liked it. Very few of the anime I've rented I've actively disliked, but there's also few that I have loved, most have been good for a watch, but not something I'd watch again.

Back