Zombie outbreak! What would YOU do?

Mutsumi

Guild Member
If there was a zombie outbreak tomorrow, what would YOU do? If you get bitten, you have approximately 24 hours before you 'turn', and the media has given you warning of the outbreak approximately 24 hours before the outbreak is predicted to reach your location. How would you prepare? What will you do when the outbreak reaches you? Guns and other things only accessible to the police or military are unavailable, but you can loot things from shops.

(Random thread is random, yes, but I was bored and this seems fun/interesting)

Loot Tesco for non-perishable supplies, then hole up in the nearest castle (my town happens to have a nicely intact one). Zombies might be able to get through ordinary doors and windows, but I'd like to see them try and get through arrow slits and a portcullis.

i'd go down to the pub, have a pint and wait for the whole mess to blow over, on a more serious note i would round up a group of friends, and hole up in the most heavily fortified place near us, i would daresay go to school, as long as all the gates are locked behind us and the zombies haven't reached it before us

mind you, i live in the middle of the country so there aren't many people around

ayase said:
Loot Tesco for non-perishable supplies, then hole up in the nearest castle (my town happens to have a nicely intact one). Zombies might be able to get through ordinary doors and windows, but I'd like to see them try and get through arrow slits and a portcullis.

True, but castles are not known for their heating and plumbing. How would you ensure a sanitary water supply, and stop yourself freezing in the winter? I can see the lack of heating being simple to overcome, but you really need to have fresh water.

Vital question... dumb, shambling zombies or intelligent fast ones? The concept of the latter kind of scares me and would take a bit more work to deal with.

Its a topic that I tend to think about when my mind wanders. In that situation it would matter where I was to what action I would take. If I was at home I would stay there and barricaded windows to the street, holding out there until the food supply run out. In the mean time make a make shift weapon and choose clothing which would be harder to bite through. Continuously try contact the out side world through Phone & Internet for help.

Once I run out of food try I would see if I can make it to next house without been infected and repeat.

If I was away from home I would try to get to somewhere with massive stock pile of food, so Supermarket or convenience store.

Mutsumi said:
ayase said:
True, but castles are not known for their heating and plumbing. How would you ensure a sanitary water supply, and stop yourself freezing in the winter? I can see the lack of heating being simple to overcome, but you really need to have fresh water.
Part of this particular castle is still a habitable dwelling. Problem solved. ;)

On a related note, what better place could there possibly be to live in a crisis situation than a good sized house with decent grounds, ringed by walls several metres thick which are equipped with ample opportunities to suppress would-be invaders? You could carry on pretty much as normal while the world outside went to hell (except of course if some kind of aerial warfare is involved, in which case you'd definitely need a bunker).

sic vita est said:
Vital question... dumb, shambling zombies or intelligent fast ones? The concept of the latter kind of scares me and would take a bit more work to deal with.

The typical slow yet unrelenting horde. However, there is no ruling out whether the zombie virus could mutate and produce faster zombies in the future.

My plan? First I'd go make sure my wife was safe, and then my best friend, who happens to be a zombie expert. Our plan would be to hole ourselves up in a Tesco Express shop in a small residential row of shops. The shop immediately next to the Tesco shop is a pharmacy, and there is roof access from each shop, and metal shutters to cover all the ground level entrances. Food and drink, medicine, and lots of batteries to power a portable radio and torch (no one to run the power stations, so mains electricity will eventually fail). All that leaves is weapons... I have a katana, wakizashi, and a tanto. Not the best weapons against zombies, but better than nothing.

Another plan would be to try to steal a yacht. Zombies don't swim good.

Assuming the military/police can eventually control the situation, how long would we need to survive?

I live in a converted bungalow - if I had 24 hours warning get a toilet fitted in the attic, stock up on food and water then destroy the staircase.

providing the zombies are a bunch of bumbling idiots that walked really slowly, I'd head over to the pharmacy and take a bag with me, stock up on antibiotics, painkillers and antiseptic equipment, bandages and the like. Basically put together a medical kit. I own 2 swords, one is really long, the other is about as long as my arm. I'd get a sharpening block or whetstone, get my girlfriend and dog (leave the family to see to themselves) And finally head to the local tesco's or co-op and loot the alcohol and tinned food.

Now depending on where the infestation is coming from, I'd take it any number of ways. If the infestation was coming from london, I'd head north and settle in a forest. Knowing survival techniques I'd build a tree house of sorts and make traps surrounding it. for food i'd have to go hunting, for water i'd merely boil some water and make sure that a plastic sheeting was above the water, the condensed water would be pure enough to drink. Rainwater is also rich in vitamins, suprisingly enough so surviving would be simple.

My main problem would be alcohol, without humans to produce it for me, i'd have to settle with whatever concotion i would have to make myself.
without that little luxury i would soon fall into a angered state and go on a zombie killing spree until i came across an offlicense.

Tachi- said:
My main problem would be alcohol, without humans to produce it for me, i'd have to settle with whatever concotion i would have to make myself.
without that little luxury i would soon fall into a angered state and go on a zombie killing spree until i came across an offlicense.

I just love this. XD

I have frequent dreams that involve a Zombie apocalypse. I always end up getting surrounded though so I won't be using them as a reference for what I'd do.

With living in the country side I have a Rifle and shotgun shop round the corner from where I live so I'd most likely head there first and stock up on defence. I'd then do the whole stock on imperishable goods. And hope on a boat and head to Piel Island. There is a castle, two houses and a pub so I think I'll be able to live quite comfortably there. ^__^

This all taking into account that the Zombie apocalypse wasn't caused by a problem at Heysham Nuclear Power Station which would mean I'd either be incinerated or a zombie anyway.

Strangely enough i read about a zombie axe killing in the echo (a liverpuddlian newspaper) yesterday, i thought "don't tell me its already begun" turns out a guy dressed as a zombie was killed on halloween. What a way to go: mistaken for a true undead on the one day of the year that we would be fine seeing a werewolf or zombie wandering down the road.

@mutsumi, its a proven fact that drinking beer increases my "game". I've drunk 8 pints before and beat 2 vs 1 on a footy game, I usually suck at sports games. Along with other things that get better :p so zombie killing must increase too, according to Tach-law.

Tachi- said:
@mutsumi, its a proven fact that drinking beer increases my "game". I've drunk 8 pints before and beat 2 vs 1 on a footy game, I usually suck at sports games. Along with other things that get better :p so zombie killing must increase too, according to Tach-law.
Plus if you drink too much, the resulting red eyes, slurring and feet shuffling would only gain you a disguise to go for a wander out. Like Bill Murray did... just obviously be aware of other uninfected who may use you for aiming practice. D=

Back