Zac Efron to star in Full Metal Panic! remake?

Kezwick_Osaka

Student Council President
According to ANN, the rights to a Full Metal Panic! live-action film has been licensed by Mandalay Pictures. It's apparently reported that there have been talks with High School Musical's Zac Efron about the film, implying that he is likely to be cast for it.

As well as this, Efron has been rumoured to star in the US remake of Death Note. I wonder if he's moving on from teen musicals into US anime remakes...

EDIT: According to Digital Spy, Zac Efron is, indeed, eyeing the lead role. So it is likely that he will be playing Sousuke.

Unless he's willing to dress in drag to be Kaname, of course.

EDIT... AGAIN... According to ANN, Efron says that although we was involved in a meeting about the project, the chances of a Full Metal Panic! movie actually being made is unlikely.
Bet that pleases some of you who have posted so far. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
NOOO he'd be shite as Sousuke, this guy is about as dark and brooding as a cup of milky tea.

Wait their not making High school Fumoffu the musical are they?

as Kaide says to Asa on Shuffle

JUST DDDDIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!

ittyatterukaede.jpg

At first i thought this was some kind of late april fools joke, but jesus this isn't a very funny joke. But on the plus side although this may indeed suck major balls, at least it means that america and others havent forgotten about FMP.

And with a flash, the world of anime forums has once again become an argument pitting the few who like this sort of thing against everybody else.

...Words can't describe the horror i'm feeling, but you know what's worse it was only a few weeks ago i was joking with arbablest that hollywood would do a Full Metal Panic movie with Zac Efron as Sousuke and Miley Cryus as Kaname...I'm now scared about what other things i've joked about with remakes.

I was also hoping that the Death Note rumours were just jokes as well...

Eep. This is probably the worst news on FMP i've heard, and i blame Black for joking and as such, jinxing it. However i can't see Zac being Sousuke. For starters, to play him you have to be emotionless/act disciplined...i don't see him being able to do that. If he could even be anyone, i think he'd be more likely to be Kurz..but i'd hope he wouldn't get cast in it at all.

Bad news is bad =/

Haha, it's funny to see the horrified reactions that come from so many anime fans when news like this comes through :]

I actually don't think it's that bad, though. Live action anime is awful whether it's made it in Japan (the Death Note movies) or in the US (DragonBall: Evolution, etc.). So it doesn't matter who stars in it.

I dont mind him being in it, he was fine in Hairspray, but he isnt Sousuke. What i have a big issue with is that hollywood always sets stuff in america. I dont think akira would work in america.

I would put money on Sousuke not being Japanese in this. Chidori, would be fine, as i think she is from new york in the books.

CitizenGeek said:
I actually don't think it's that bad, though. Live action anime is awful whether it's made it in Japan (the Death Note movies) or in the US (DragonBall: Evolution, etc.). So it doesn't matter who stars in it.

I dont know, its not impossible, take comic adaptions, they have in general been rubbish, but we have had some good ones, take Ironman or Dark Knight/Begins.

DBZ was on a downer to begin with because DBZ is impossible to make a decent film from.

DBZ was an odd one a while you wouldn't get a serious movie from it, you could get an entertaining movie that was a worthwhile adaption, its just that a lot of stuff in it would be really hard to pull off live action. Also Kaname is ethic japanese, its just her dad and sister moved to New York for buisness reasons.

I agree with comic book adaptions, we went through a time where they were all pretty shoddy but recently we've been getting some good ones, although that could be due to the fact that Marvel are now doing a lot of the movies themselves to ensure a good adaption (like the new Hulk film and Iron Man, also means they can interlink the movies, building up for the Avengers movie in 2011).

The problem with the casting is that i don't think he's a good fit for the character, even if they change his nationality, only good thing that may come from this is seeing how well they bring in the Arms Slaves (if they bring them in at all) If they are done well we may get another Live Action Gundam movie afterall

Ahhhhhhhhh... You're lying.. it can't be true.. *Crys*
I really don't want to imagine how badly they are going to mess this up.. I really hope they don't use Zac Efron for anyone in it..

Guns in school isn't the greatest idea for the US to be working with. I see the general romance story, with the basic archetypes from FMP working somewhat well in a High School movie, but in no conceivable way could it ever be FMP. Transformers (2007) has High School, Mechs and Shia LeBeouf - Probably about as close to this as we'll see.

Zac Efron. lol.

It's probably more bankable to wait and see how that Robotech thing goes down as well.

ETA: It'd make a decent lead-in to 24 on FOX Thursdays.

FMP fans just got owned. I would probably share their dissapointing if I ever watched the full series which I own, eh.

I will be what Sousuke was against a certain watermelon. Mr Efron will be nothing more than a mess on a sandy beach...
*Puts on sunglasses, enters a black car and drives off*
*Comes back moments later, winds down window*
Okay, someone's gonna have to tell me where this guy is before I waste him. :roll:

But this is indeed bad news. I've had enough of his face plastered on boards and TV. He's a freaking "pretty boy!" They cant do rugged!!
I wont be looking forward to any more FMP if HE'S going to star it.

Back