Your viewing journal

vashdaman said:
To me that sounds like a T-Pain who has realized he has long over saturated the Hip Hop market and now wants to break into the rock/pop scene, figuring that learning Japanese and doing some anime themes is as good a place as any to start.

I'm going to have to take your word on that.

YuYu Hakusho Episodes 39 - 42

Blood+ Episode 37

Big Windup Episode 1

Big Windup is a rewatch. When I first got it disc 4 was faulty so I did not watch all all the episodes. Axel sent me a replacement set but by the time it arrived I was watching another show so it has been on hold for a while. Decided to start from the beginning again.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Crikey, that's almost as bad as this ****.

I'm not scared of vashdaman who, like his namesake, is all about peace and love, right?

1123370097vash-thumbsup.jpg

Uppa said:
Oh, crumbs; I just watched the first episode of the new HUNTERxHUNTER animé adaptation and, sure, I'm not particularly fond of it...but the confounded ending theme has me as misty eyed as an inebriated 52-year-old sailor man. I'm just so taken by the cathartic and soaringly reflective impression delivered by the chorus.

Delightfully ironic, too, that the flashing lights at the beginning should remind me of Rurouni Kenshin's ending themes, of all things.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MBuZFPLQYYY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MBuZFPLQYYY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

(If the embed fails, here's a link. It's not as attractive as an embedded video...which is a shame.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBuZFPLQYYY
Y'know, if he actually learnt how to do cleans properly that song might've been good, but no, they had to ruin it with auto tune.

Is that seriously an ending!? It looks more like an opening!

Guess I made a bit of a blunder putting my heart on the line and saying that I loved the darn thing. :cry:

Come on, opening theme tune! Turn them all into breathlessly excited HUNTERxHUNTER neophytes! And redeem the musical cred I had the misfortune of forfeiting!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxdJU0G_QtY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QxdJU0G_QtY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

fabricatedlunatic said:
The show's okay and perfectly watchable, I suppose, but for whatever reason Trigun hasn't set my world alight as I was expecting it to based upon the internet's love. Stupid internet.
This doesn't surprise me too much, tbh. I saw it maybe four years after it was made, and it was already starting to look somewhat like a product of its time.

Turn them all into breathlessly excited HUNTERxHUNTER neophytes!

You know, that actually did very nearly turn me into one.

ilmaestro said:
This doesn't surprise me too much, tbh. I saw it maybe four years after it was made, and it was already starting to look somewhat like a product of its time.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2v-8ctq5x4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2v-8ctq5x4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Kaiji S2 - End

Well, it's been quite a ride. It was great to see Kaiji crying his way through another series, but I think my main objection to, what I will inevitably be referring to as the "green-shirt season", was the pacing. With only two gambles making up the series instead of three, it feels far more drawn out than before. This may just be a reflection of the manga (I hear the pachinko arc lasted forever), but it is frustrating, especially when the games being played are not that visually exciting. Both are entirely conventional, real-world parlour games and do lack that hellish gameshow quality of the first season.

Nevertheless, when the series is hitting its stride, it still manages plenty of nail-biting tension, punctuated by ridiculous comments from the narrator and bizarre visualisations. I think my favourite was probably seeing Kaiji and Endou as fighter-pilots, screaming down from the sky towards the deck of an aircraft carrier. Apparently this had something to do with pachinko, but I forget exactly what.

I would also say that, should it take Madhouse another four years to get Kaiji back for another series, this season at least ends with a far more satisfying conclusion than the first one did.

Baka & Test & Shoukanjuu 1-7

Since I loaded up on enjoyable, not-too-fluffy shows last week, I decided to pop this in for a change of pace. I need to spread out school-based comedy series so they don't make me stressed.

Charmingly this series doesn't care at all about playing things straight and just goes all out for mildly spiteful comedy, with decent writing. I thought the infamous Hideyoshi gags might be annoying, but the series works well and some scenes were very funny.

It seems ironic that even though this is a silly comedy, it has a bigger focus on academic matters than many more story-heavy school series. I'll save the second half of this season for later in the week.

R

Episodes 5-10 of Kaiji. So far this show has taught me never trust anyone, as everyone is a jerk at heart :p

Also finished off Dantalian. Man I found that one dull

Watching 5cm per second.

U have to say, while my overall opinion is good, it's more than a little mawkish, even for Shinkai and his obsession with sunset bloom would stagger even Michael Bay. I also find that Takaki's expressionless/ sad face rather disturbingly reminds me of Johan Liebert.

Generally very good though.

edit: I rather liked it more now that I've finished, the ending wasn't what I expected though it is a Shinkai film so I guess I should've expected that the main characters would not end up together :p a somewhate more realistic view on love and romance in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
ilmaestro said:
This doesn't surprise me too much, tbh. I saw [Trigun] maybe four years after it was made, and it was already starting to look somewhat like a product of its time.
Do you mean visually or in terms of the content? I suspect the latter but I won't pass up the opportunity to complain that the art and animation is quite often abysmal, same as most TV series from the mid-late 1990s. It gets really, really bad at times.

Rui said:
Baka & Test & Shoukanjuu 1-7
Charmingly this series doesn't care at all about playing things straight and just goes all out for mildly spiteful comedy
I keep wavering back and forth on this series. For everything good I hear, like the above, there'll be a mention of, say, the plot getting serious that'll put me off. Ideally I'd like Manga to pick the show up as I don't feel inclined to pay Funi import prices for this one.

Ao no Exorcist 25 (END)

I have a few complaints to get off my chest. First off, when Bon says "He's so stupid he'd forget to die even if he was killed"...yeah...what? Also, when Konekomaru says that "No one got hurt"....HELLO?! Rin was bleeding! He'd been shot, you blind idiot. Then there was when Rin and Yukio went to their mother's grave, and Yukio said how before she died, she gave them to Shiro...er no, that's not how it happened - you saw Satan's memories; she was dead before Shiro and Mephisto found them, and Mephisto wanted to kill them.. Lastly, Celty (Durarara!!) rip off at the end? Phanton bike rider, with a helmet that looked an awful lot like Celty's, and I'm pretty sure I didn't see a head on the body in the truck.

Now that I've got that out of the way...Ao no Exorcist was a series with potential, and it pissed it away. So Mephisto broke out of the Vatican prison to just sit on a chair and talk to a hamster? C'mon! Wasted potential there.

The whole thing about the mirrors was absolute bull.
First, the time difference between Japan and Vatican City is 8 hours not 7; and because there's such a big difference, that means it would take a damn long time to get there - especially on foot.

Also, who the hell is the kid with the bunny puppet? He said something cryptic a couple of episodes ago, then proceeded to do f-all for the rest of the series (like he did anything anyway >>).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back