Your viewing journal

two reasons why i cant watch the anime i was going to watch today
1 i was with my dad all day helping him out
2 i was up all night messing around til 3.30

so il just choose a movie iv already seen andtake a nap that and then watch that.
iv already watched it but i think il watch a few nastalga critic videos on youtube

I feel like my life was a waste now...though I guess it would work better if it actually was a second marriage :3

Now to speed through the rest of this disc of the Elric brothers and get Katanagatari v2 in my player.

R

Shakugan no Shana 5-8

I'll be honest; I prefer the way the whole Friagne thing went in the novel (which is why I patiently await the movie).

One thing that really irritated me, was how whoever subbed this (I'm watching the official R1 DVD) decided to use "hafta" instead of "have to". I actually had to research to see if "hafta" was actually a word - turns out it's one of those "eye dialect" things. It isn't something like "Gotcha" which is pronounced differently to the words it originated from. If you have to use random mispellings to show that a character speaks in a different dialect, then you're a bad writer - you should other methods to show that across; like actually have them pronounce words differently.
Also, it wasn't only one character using it! I caught both Yuji and Margery (Marcosias might have, but I forget) using it. Also, "hafta" is Persian, Turkish and Hindi for "Week", as well as slang for "protection money" collected by gangsters and corrupt policemen xD

So if anything, it strikes me that the subber's English levels aren't great (after all, in one scene, it says Yuji says "That moment, I felt Shana's instant "kill" for the first time". Silly subber, I think "instinct" is the word you're looking for. Doesn't help that the dub changed the line to "Just then, for the first time I knew what Shana meant when she said feel the kill" >>.

As a writer, this has really annoyed me >>.

Lastly, jumping back to the dub to check out that one line...reminded me of how much I hate Shana's dub voice xD.

Idolm@ster ep 10

Such a good episode! So many little nods and yet there's some foreshaddowing too! I was pleasently suprised at the cameo from the 876 Idol unit! Even though one of them...

Jupiter! Boo(!) Hiss(!) etc etc. This looks like the foreboading towards possibly the anime going in the direction of Jupiter beating Ryuuguu Komachi, which interestingly they were in their outfits in the preview! Is that going to be our half way point?! :eek:

The episode itself was excellent. I like the way they handled the rival girls, from the "deadweight" comment to Nozomi falling hilariously for Makoto mid rant. And on that note - Even though it was a brilliant heartfelt comeback please don't make this Makoto's episode. Although will all the flicks of awesomeness we've been getting off of her lately I'm getting the nasty feeling that we're not going to get a dedicated Makoto episode :(

And of course the ending song was Go My Way which was actually really fitting. Now i'm satisfied! I could go on about this episode for longer but i'll stop; even though it's a nice distraction as it's so relaxing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Professor Irony said:
Sadly, I can't think of a single episode in which there was any exploding of heads... If it helps though, Ryo is also voiced by Akira Kamiya, and there is more than one OP sequence in which he shoots down a helicopter with only his trusty Colt Python. More than one.
Kamiya and exploding helicopters are plus points for sure. But I do worry that, like a couple of other titles I won't mention, the episodic goofiness will prove too lightweight for my tastes. Going on what I've heard I can be fairly sure the stories won't have much meat on their bones, so my enjoyment will hinge on whether it's actually funny. Guess I'll just have to watch a couple of episodes and see for myself.

Which brings me onto Trigun, the first seven episodes of which I have dragged myself through while fighting to remain conscious. Lightweight stories? Check. Not very funny? Check. The only thing keeping me watching is the knowledge that it gets a lot darker (and supposedly better) in the second half.

Ah, hmm. Yeah. I hadn't thought of that. If the episodic format really isn't your bag, I could see City Hunter being difficult - it is more or less the anime equivalent of the A-team. At the very least, I don't think I'd recommend starting with episode 1.

Ironically, the first few episodes are a plot arc of sorts, but it's a badly handled adaptation of an already stodgy section from the manga (all references to drug dealing have been removed; what's left loses a lot of coherence) and not representative of the show as a whole. Try episode 6, if you fancy it.

Steins;Gate ep 21

Aww. I got a bit emotional at the scene at the graveyard with Mayushi. I have no idea how the show is going to resolve this but i'm looking forward to it.

PenguinDrum 7

Not watching this for a while was...A bad idea. I don't dislike it but i'm struggling with every episode that passes which focuses on Ringo and her stalking obsession. I thought there was supposed to be a sense of urgency to get the penguindrum...?

Last edited by a moderator:
MercenaryRaiden said:
PenguinDrum 7

Not watching this for a while was...A bad idea. I don't dislike it but i'm struggling with every episode that passes which focuses on Ringo and her stalking obsession. I thought there was supposed to be a sense of urgency to get the penguindrum...?
This is what was putting me off. The show goes nowhere for far too long. But... keep watching. ^_^

ilmaestro said:
MercenaryRaiden said:
PenguinDrum 7

This is what was putting me off. The show goes nowhere for far too long. But... keep watching. ^_^

I'm the same with maes, the series has many questions to answer at the half way point but it's so fun to watch and has become quite tense recently, I recommend you carry on watching it.

Back