Your viewing journal

Yea I watched Time of Eve last night and liked it, though didn't like the thing I saw earlier (mizu no kotoba).

Just got done watching CatBlue Dynamite. Far too violent and too much like the sort of movies that do nothing for me. Only finished it cause it was fairly short. Though I liked -Blue- I didn't like the anime.

Putting on Miracle Train episode 8 to counter it. It's one of the ones I'm watching when there's nothing else or not much time. :p I like the intro music, and Roppongi.

Kurau: Phantom Memory 1-4
(some spoilers for this first volume ahead; avert thine eyes is thoust plans to watcheth this show.)

Kurau is a 22 year-old tomboy (at this point ayase starts paying attention) with extraordinary powers. She works as an "agent"--basically a mercenary who takes on jobs too dangerous for the police.

The story begins ten years previously when, due to an experiment that went wrong, Kurau became fused with an alien life form. In typical Bones fashion, little is explained, but thankfully some explanatory notes are included on the DVD. Turns out that it's something called Rynax, which "is trying to circulate into the world at large". The alien informs Kurau's distraught father that there are two of them, with the other lying dormant inside Kurau. Over time the alien integrates with Kurau's own personality, and they come to share the same consciousness.

Back to the present and we see that Kurau is filled with sadness and a longing for her sleeping companion. But, of course, it's not long before she materializes as a cute girl Kurau names Christmas.

Going on the first volume it would seem that Kurau is a show about relationships: between Kurau and her father and Kurau and Christmas (whose bond is more familial than romantic, but not quite either). These four episodes use a "case of the week" format to establish Kurau's powers and how she has to use them judiciously to avoid drawing attention to herself. So there are a few action scenes, but I don't find them too interesting.

How do I pay attention and avert my eyes? Huh!?

But you got my attention, you know my weakness for the tomboys. Good business practice that, it's easier to sell things to people once you know what they want out of them. ;)

Incidentally I've expanded on my mad scientist 'single gender' idea to basically replace all genders with one which is physically female, but mentally male (Possible with a little genetic modification). Give this new gender a couple of centuries and it would rule the universe. Not unlike the first part of Gall Force! Hmm... this idea merits further study. Anyone wanna give me a research grant?

madscientistcb009944.jpg

ayase said:
Incidentally I've expanded on my mad scientist 'single gender' idea to basically replace all genders with one which is physically female, but mentally male (Possible with a little genetic modification). Give this new gender a couple of centuries and it would rule the universe. Not unlike the first part of Gall Force! Hmm... this idea merits further study. Anyone wanna give me a research grant?

You may have to refine this a bit as unless they are non-sterile hermaphrodites or can procreate in by fission or some other manner they are not likely to last long enough to take control. Unless of course they become ever youthful immortals.

"It's pronounced Fronk-en-steen."

Why d'ya think I need the research grant? Immortality would be useful, but if we're shooting for that we may as well just opt for androids - an option I'm willing to consider.

Just finished E's Otherwise. It's one of those odd series where I think I liked it but I can't be sure. Evil mega corporations, guerillas, psychics, cyborgs and big brother/sister complexes times three.

I didn't know ayase was so inclined.
Whilst a research grant might be a little optimistic, there are plenty of opportunities to explore the concept through the world of online fiction. Alas, such a fantastic field has been explored quite comprehensively already.

I may have said too much here.

Tenchi GXP - 1-18.5 (it's so bad I have no qualms about calling a halt to my viewing part-way through an episode)

Make... it... stop...

If the box wasn't so awesome I'd have sold this by now. But since I can't abide unfinished series in my collection, and there's no chance I'd ever go back to it if I stopped, I have to keep watching all the way to the bitter end.

Over the weekend: Finished Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Watched up to: 9 Tegami Bachi
9 Sora no Otoshimono
Started: Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Purezza up to 8
Tower of Druaga (Aegis) up to 11 (ran out of time before needing to take James to the station :p)

About to watch Miracle Train 9, and a few Shugo Chara Party.

Nabari Part 2. Odd show about modern day ninja fighting over a kid with the most powerful jutsu in the world which may kill him if he uses it, for their own use. Some quite nice character development and I think it delivers what it sets out to, but if you are in it for the fights you might find it a bit bland. Though unlike many of these shows most of those that appear to die stay dead.

Caught right up to ep 23 of Umineko.

Thought there was a bit of a lull between 20 and the midpoint of 22, with just a couple of interesting scenes thrown in, but it's getting better again. Can't wait for the last ep, going on how good the other arc-ending eps have been.

Honey & Clover 1-4

Decided to watch the first disc after reading ANN's review this morning. I kind of like it so far, I think, but I agree with the reviewer's take on the comedy. It's wacky and obnoxious, often surreal, and just really dumb. Maison Ikkoku never resorted to this kind of crap. And Hagu is utterly ridiculous. She's supposed to be 18 but looks and acts literally half that age.

Then there's Viz's subtitles. They opted to use first names instead of how the characters are actually addresing one another, which is almost always with their last names. Not only is this jarring, but it removes that level of nuance that you get with Japanese naming conventions (that is, first names are generally only used when there's a certain familiarity between the speakers). Grr.

Back