Your viewing journal

Cyber City Oedo 808 Episodes 2 & 3 - It’s a series about 3 macho tough guys solving crimes and fighting their way out of trouble. There’s no overarching plots, just vignettes into these people’s adventures in this cyberpunk landscape. By the end I was really enjoying it.

Episode 2 just has too much going on and the plot just feels like complete nonsense when you actually find out what it’s about. But the climax and the main threat were both very entertaining. Episode 3 is easily the best of the trilogy. It genuinely atmospheric in how it fuses science fiction with gothic horror. You can tell Yoshiaki Kawajiri wanted to do a Vampire Hunter D movie. It’s over the top, ridiculous and just a little bit melancholy. Probably my second favourite work from the director and has me interested in finding more gothic sci-fi.

Last edited:
Bibliophile Princess episode 1 Playing the part.

31 Days of Halloween 2022! Day VI: The Hunger (1983) (Film)

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 437-447

Last edited:
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury - Gundam are back! I've been really looking forward to this and it hasn't disappointed so far. It's doing the "these mechs are super powerful, but they also have terrible side effects that kill their pilots" thing.

Management of a Novice Alchemist - I think this is based of a video game? I think it's a iyashikei (healing) show, as it has a charming, relax mood, and so far there's been no real threat or drama. The main character has talent as an alchemist, but she doesn't really have any friends as she is totally devoted to alchemy, so I suspect the show will be about her opening up and making some friends.

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit - This is a recap of what's happened so far, which was a bit disappointing, but also reminded me of why I love this show so much. I don't mind watching the recap as it has been so long, but I'm looking forward to some new material.

Do It Yourself - It's a "we need to recruit enough students to save the club" show, but it's got a very distinct art style and the main character is great. She's clumsy, but not in a ditzy or annoying way. Gave me Eizouken vibes, which is high praise.

Akiba Maid War - This is doing the "you thought this show was about maids, but look at all this murder" psych out. I didn't enjoy the maid thing, and the violence as humour didn't work for me, so I think I'm done with this one. A shame as I normally really like P.A. Works shows.

I'm also watching Eureka Seven on the side, that show is great, definitely inspired by Evangelion. The first 8 or 9 episodes were a slog, and if I hadn't already bought the blu-ray I would probably have given up, but there is a turning point after that and then I was hooked. I've got about 5 episodes left now.

Akiba Maid War Episode 1 Maid wars.

Bibliophile Princess Episode 1 Mutual benefit.

Dog & Scissors Episode 1-12 (Complete. A fun comedy outing that is pretty hilarious with its mix of characters and the ridiculous situations where quite the riot.) 3.5/5

I had a new boiler installed today. 9am to 6pm.
Special 7 complete
Started off good and had an exciting finish.

Ann Log episode 1+2
Laughed a lot. I like the Carry On films.
I consider Anime the last place I can find that sort of humour.

Golgo 13
Episode 1, there's a hijacker.
Episode 21, Golgo fights Amazon bandits
Episode 23, Golgo happens to be on a hijacked plane.
Episode 34, Golgo is hired to kill a real estate magnate called Ronald Crump.
Don't know why I love this episode. 🤬

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Intrigue episode 38 Conversations.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer episode 13 Changing situation.

My Master Has No Tail episode 2 Common complaint.

31 Days of Halloween 2022! Day VII: The Haunting (1963) & The Haunting (1999) (Films)

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 448-456, 459-462

Last edited:
Josee, the Tiger and the Fish (dub)
Thought I'd better watch this before sending it to my little sister for her birthday.
I really liked a lot of it, but I definitely feel it could have been better with a few additions and a few omissions.
First off our MCs acted a lot like high schoolers despite being in their early 20s, Josee being so sheltered and spoilt let's her off the hook a little, but it only seems that Tsuneo's plotline demanded the older age (even though I'm sure he could have gone to a foreign uni straight from high school). The other characters didn't fair too well: Grandma for being so overly protective (it is hinted that she hired Tsuneo in the hope he would help Josee "rebel", but still), Mai helped by being a bitch to Josee! and Hayato was there.
The plot itself seemed at first to be your classic romance template couple meet, friction, find a spark, something goes wrong, get back together, the end, but then it took a few too many more turns and a lot of it was a little too melodramatic for me.
As for the extra things I would have liked. A bit more of Josee being in her dreamworld the one sequence we got was great and then when they go out the first time, I think the world could have been portrayed as a little harsher to a wheelchair user than it was just to make it hit a bit harder.
The art and animation was very good.
Despite my quibbles I'm still giving it an 8 because the central story was very moving despite the detours:
8/10

My Master Has No Tail
ep 2
Fan.

Pop Team Epic s2 e2
The OP is a banger!

SPY x FAMILY p2 e2
Visions.

BOCCHI THE ROCK! ep 1
Living in a Box.
Seems like K-On except they actually play music and our MC is pretty much the complete opposite of Yui in her interactions with other people.

Mob Psycho 100 III ep1

Pop Team Epic S2 ep2

4B35187D-CB65-4E3F-90A4-ABEBE0C3DC97.jpeg

The Masami Obari skit with Biggus McHugeguy is quite special.

Lupin III: Part 2 ep44

Lupin being chased by an undead hitman ought to be a good setup, but this one feels a bit aimless and filler-y. With its stream-of-consciousness storytelling and more caustic tone, I’d hazard a guess that this is a Seijun Suzuki episode, but not one of his better ones.

Blue Lock episode 1 Experiment.

BOCCHI THE ROCK! episode 1 Water flea.

I’m the Villainess, So I’m Taming the Final Boss episode 3 Choosing.

I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills episode 2 Feeling faint.

My Hero Academia Sixth Season episode 115 Kicking off.

Pop Team Epic 2nd Season episode 2 There goes the budget.

Raven of the Inner Palace episode 2 Poison plot.

Spy x Family Part 2 episode 14 Premonition.

Utawarerumono Mask of Truth episode 16 Alliance.

Uzaki-Chan Wants To Hang Out! Double episode 2 Friendship goals.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-Kun Season 3 episode 1 Unorthodox ranking up.

Yowamushi Pedal: Limit Break episode 1 Hime intensifies.

31 Days of Halloween 2022! Day VIII: Species (1995) (Film)

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 463-472

Saturdays are absolutely packed this season it seems - thankfully some shows stream earlier in the day to break it up a bit.

Last edited:
Lupin the Third: Part III - Episode 3 - 4

Akiba Maid War - Episode 1

My Hero Academia (Season 6) - Episode 2

Spy x Family - Episode 14

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Memorial Edition - Episode 2

Lycoris Recoil - Episode 6

My mother wanted to watch some anime this evening, so I showed her a few of the new Fall shows, streamed on the living room TV, which I have a Roku stick attached to. We watched:

Spy x Family 2 eps 13-14. These were very good, much better than the later episodes in the first season. Borf! Borf!

Raven of the Inner Palace eps 1-2. Wow, I already think this is going to be my top anime of the season - these first two episodes were excellent, and if the rest of the series continues to deliver like this, then it definitely will be my Fall favorite!

Bibliophile Princess ep 1. I love a good fantasy shoujo romance, and this is looking to be a good one.

I also showed her the first episode of Parallel World Pharmacy, which I just finished and thought she might like, but she didn't go for it too much. She totally loved the other three series, though.

Godzilla: The Series Episodes 1-21 - Season 1 (COMPLETE) - I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this to me before! I've never seen any Godzilla films other than the original Japanese Gojira from the 1950s, so I don't know how it compares, but I really enjoyed this, it's got fun writing with good banter and the animation's actually pretty solid, particularly for the creatures but also better than average for the humans too. Colour me impressed and entertained! It's also got a pleasingly realistic cynicism about it that I appreciate given that the subject matter somewhat calls for it :)

Cardcaptor Sakura episodes 15-21: After a long hiatus I'm back to this. They seem to have moved capturing cards to an afterthought now, in favour of character development. Two cards, Loop and Glow, actually had to force themselves into the action just to be noticed by our hero.

Heaven's Lost Property complete series 1: Fun, but way to much panty obsession by our hero (although I did like the migration of the panty-birds). Some good surprises and a tease at the end for series two (which appears not to have been released in the UK?). One of the rare shows where the "extra" of clean endings seems a good idea, as they were all continuations of the episodes.

A Couple of Cuckoo's (English Dub) Episode 22

Beast Tamer Episode 2 Bandit brawling.

I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss Episode 3 Choice.

I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills Episode 2 Faint.

My Hero Academia Season 6 Episode 2 Raid.

Spy x Family Episode 14 Precognition.

The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious Episode 11 Oath. (Complete. A SoL anime about the everyday interactions between the orphan MC and his maid, to which I found their master-servant relationship to be somewhat charming and endearing.) 3/5

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Season 2
Episode 14 Goals.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun 3rd Season Episode 45 This should be another fun season.

Back