Your viewing journal

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 2 - The Illusionary Adventure and the Miraculous Encounter OVA

League of Nations Air Force Aviation Magic Band Luminous Witches Episode 12 Worldwide. (Complete. For what it had to offer this was a decent spin-off series overall.) 3/5

Love Live! Superstar! Season 2
Episode 22 A new song.

Parallel World Pharmacy Episode 12 Purification. (Complete. A decent and engaging edutainment outing that kept my curiosity piqued and also taught me about medicine, diseases and everyday illnesses.)
3.5/5

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 268 Putting the effort in.

League of Nations Air Force Aviation Magic Band Luminous Witches episode 12 Bravo. (Complete. A spin-off series that was entertaining though perhaps wasn’t as strong as some entries in the core series.) 3/5

Parallel World Pharmacy
episode 12 Epidemic end. (Complete. An unexpectedly solid watch overall which utilised its medically-focused premise nicely.) 3.5/5

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 263-278, 284-290

Lycoris Recoil Episode 13 (End) - Where's my Blu-ray already! Good ending to a great season; no way this won't get a second season with how popular it is. 9.5/10

Call of the Night Episode 12 - One more episode to go, wondering how they are going to leave it hanging...

Harem in the Labyrinth of a New World Episodes 1-4 (rewatch) - My friend was over visiting tonight since neither of us work tomorrow, and I started this series for him up on the big screen in my theater. He's enjoying it very much; we'll probably do two more viewings of four episodes each over the next couple weekends when he comes back to visit. I have yet to finish the season myself, I think I've only watched 6 episodes so far, so we'll both be seeing two of the episodes for the first time next weekend...

The Book Of Bantorra episodes 10-18: Lots of violence and pointless slaughter of random people. Which is strange for an organisation which stores and preserves the stone tablets that contain the records of people's lives. I mean, if you don't care about them when they're alive....

Oops. I forgot to mention that the opening theme for this anime is from Aki Project, the same band that played the opening theme for another bloody anime, Noir. Very similar sounding.

Last edited:
Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya -Battle for Sanctuary- (English audio) - Episodes 7-10

The plan was to watch a lot more episodes of anime today, but something happened at work, so I was stalled for about 2 hours. Either way I was able to get Saint Seiya's remake series up to date so that's neat.

Classroom of the Elite 2nd Season episode 13 Snowfall. (Complete. Having come away from the first season feeling indifferent this continuation won me over thanks to the more engaging turn from the lead character. I’m looking forward to the third season next year.) 4/5

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 293-302, 304-307

AOASHI eps 22-24
Gelling and promotion.
A really good sports show about football which was pretty grounded. It took its time with the progression of our MC from cocky hero of his school team in his small town in the sticks to being the out of depth hick in the big city big club youth academy and gradually improving his skills till he gets promoted to the youth A team! Yes that's right 24 episodes in and he's only got to the youth A team, not the first team or winning at nationals like nearly every sports show I've seen. There's also no dumb "superpowers" like some sports shows, just skills honed over the course of the show, although the MCs skill is his vision which they sort animate as a "superpower", but vision is really hard to get across verbally without a lot of explanation. There's also a sweet, but subtle romance/love triangle which made the off field stuff more interesting too.
The art was pretty good, all characters are pretty unique, but the animation was a lot of the time non-existent, although I get that animating a whole match would take ages to do and some of the things they did with slow-mo etc worked, but other things didn't.
8/10

My Stepmother's Daughter is My Ex
eps 10-12
Family get together.
Fairly unique in that the couple were together and now, after they split, play dumb and deny they have feelings for each other until the end which is the reverse of a lot of anime romances in which they deny feelings then get together right at the end. The problem is that even though the male MC has the personality of a dead fish, the female MC ends up blaming herself and thinking she's the one that has to change just because he has a sad backstory! Although she a massive change of character from when she was going out with him to when they meet as siblings and not particularly for the better in some aspects. There were some amusing moments and some sweet moments, but definitely not the best romance ever.
Art and animation were pretty standard.
6/10

Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season episode 10 Face off.

Overlord IV episode 52 Selfish request. (Complete. Another engaging series that served the overall story quite well for me.) 4/5

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 308-316, 320-324

AOASHI eps 22-24
Gelling and promotion.
A really good sports show about football which was pretty grounded. It took its time with the progression of our MC from cocky hero of his school team in his small town in the sticks to being the out of depth hick in the big city big club youth academy and gradually improving his skills till he gets promoted to the youth A team! Yes that's right 24 episodes in and he's only got to the youth A team, not the first team or winning at nationals like nearly every sports show I've seen. There's also no dumb "superpowers" like some sports shows, just skills honed over the course of the show, although the MCs skill is his vision which they sort animate as a "superpower", but vision is really hard to get across verbally without a lot of explanation. There's also a sweet, but subtle romance/love triangle which made the off field stuff more interesting too.
The art was pretty good, all characters are pretty unique, but the animation was a lot of the time non-existent, although I get that animating a whole match would take ages to do and some of the things they did with slow-mo etc worked, but other things didn't.
8/10

Maybe I'll check this one out based on your recommendation as I enjoy a good sports anime :)

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting eps 11 & 12
Run away and atonement.
This was quite chill for a show involving Yakuza, although there was a few dramatic moments they were solved really quickly and despite seemingly starting to build towards something towards the end it fizzled out as if they thought they had to have a big ending, but found out about a second season so backed out of it (there's no second season as far as I can tell). So it felt a bit like a non-ending. Kirishima has a fairly decent story arch though.
The art was quite good and the animation equally so.
7/10

Shadows House
s2 eps 10-12
Fountain of knowledge, passageway and responsibility.
This season changed from the mostly introductory nature of the first season to a mystery plot with the leads trying to track down the person/s responsible for attacking the residents of their wing of the house. That's not say the greater mystery of the house was ignored with new tidbits of information being revealed. The mystery wraps up before the end and the last episode feels like an introduction to the next arc of the story, so hopefully there's another season.
The art and animation were pretty much the same as the first season.
8/10

Inu-Oh [English Audio] -
A really interesting film that has deservedly gotten praise for the music within the production and the story it tells throughout, pulling from the historical period this is set in and changes in the cultural landscape. A bit of a problem, however, is the presentation, unique (hopefully) to these screenings. The dub does leave the music pretty much unchanged (only dubbing the dialogue, leaving the songs in their original form), however it was fairly clear that the songs were conveying parts of the story as well... but the songs were not subtitled (it did have sign subs etc). It's my understanding those were subbed in the subtitled screenings. Now, I could pick up on what was happening based on other dialogue and other plot points happening elsewhere, but it was a bit of a problem and something that I hope the blu-ray fixes. Hopefully the distributor keeps this in mind next time a similar situation occurs.

Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun episode 12 Consumption. (Complete. The story here continues to impress with its unique and strange world-building and tragic characters. One of the seasonal highlights for me and possibly one of the best this year so far.) 4.5/5

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 337-350

Inu-oh (at the cinema)
This was quite bizarre at points especially when it didn't really tell you what was happening and switching between protagonists in the first half, but then it turns into Baz Luhrmann does Dororo with musical numbers, using modern instruments as well as the biwa, etc shown, instead of battles versus monsters! It's set in the 14th century roughly 200 years after the period covered in The Heike Story, but the stories told throughout are about the Heike.
however it was fairly clear that the songs were conveying parts of the story as well
Indeed the songs covered stories from the battle at the end of the Heike period and whilst dubbing the songs might not have worked it's weird that they didn't sub them.
The art is the usual Yuasa slightly off kilter design, probably less so than some of his stuff. The animation was really good with some excellent cinematic scenes and the musical scenes were great too.
8/10

Call of the Night episode 13 Finding new things. (Complete. A vampire romance series that was a fun watch with some nice atmosphere to the night setting.) 3.5/5

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV
episode 11 Not giving up. (Complete. This was a very gritty and action-focused season and one of my favourites so far.) 4/5

The Devil is a Part Timer! Season 2
episode 12 Powers. (Complete. This was a second season that I wasn’t expecting to materialise but it was nice to see this story continued despite the change in animation style, and I’ll be watching Season 3 next year.) 3.5/5

One Piece (Rewatch)
episodes 351-363

Back